• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No More Open Carry at Golden Corral?

ZackL

Well, first off, I've been gone for about six months (life can get in the way and I am sorry) I've been trying to keep up with everything. Anyway, I was out to my annual birthday dinner with my family and we went to Golden Corral (on Woodmen and Powers) and after getting completely through our meal and mostly through dessert, the Manager came up to me and asked me if I had a concealed carry permit. Having not really paid attention to the man beforehand because he was wearing a Golden Corral uniform, I didn't catch it the first time and had to ask him what he meant. He repeated himself and I asked him when there was a shift in the management's position. He said that according to his higher ups that it had always been their policy to allow open carry, but only with a concealed carry permit. He then said he didn't need to see it, just for me to affirm that I had one. I admitted that I didn't and he said I would have to take the gun outside. I told him that that was fine and that I wouldn't be back... Okay, so I overreacted a bit...

I went outside, waiting for everyone to finish up their desserts and meals and what-have-you, and had a cigarette. This gave me time to contemplate what to do next. Come home and cry about it, or go back and talk to him and try to figure out why. So I locked my gun the truck and went back in. He was on his way out for the night when I got back inside. From there he told me that he wouldn't have approached me if there hadn't been a complaint from another patron. I told him that I understand and that when you get down to it, businesses are in a lose lose situation there. They get to lose the complaining party's business, or the other party's business. He said that he was going to check with CSPD about the laws regarding open carry and that he would also talk to his superiors and see what they should do about it beings it is legal.

Anyway, in the end I have to call him tomorrow and find out what he's got for me and see what they are going to do from here on out about open carry.

alang

It could be interesting with some of us planning on meeting up at the Golden Corral in Aurora. We'll have to see if they approach it the same way, or if they will just be happy to have the business.

M-Taliesin

It could be interesting with some of us planning on meeting up at the Golden Corral in Aurora. We'll have to see if they approach it the same way, or if they will just be happy to have the business.

Howdy Amigo!
We had a meet up at the GC in Aurora back around August. They were very welcoming and accomodating. No problem at all.
I do not anticipate any issues today either.

Guess we'll find out. Obviously, I'll go out there early to ensure their attitude is still consistent.
And if it ain't, there is another location not far away that never hassled me about OC in their establishment.

Hope to see you there.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Polynikes

There's absolutely no way that a private party can require you to have a permit to carry. Either they allow carry in their store or they don't. The manager is 100% in the wrong and you should be talking to corporate.

Jonathan Hoff

We just spent a few hours atagolden corral today and we were open carrying and saw no issues. As the post above says id betalking to corprate

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
We had a terrific time at Golden Corral in Aurora. The folks who run the place were gracious and accomodating.
When our party grew larger with later arrivals, they allowed us to move to larger tables and we pretty much dominated the whole south end of the wall!

If you ran into an individual who told you your sidearm had to go, he was indeed in the wrong. If somebody had complained, he should have explained that you were perfectly within your rights to carry and no permit is required for you to do so. He should have handled the situation differently. Guess he decided it was simply easier to roust you than explain to the person who complained what the score is under our laws.

Anyhow, for those of you that missed our meet-up, you missed a fun time.
The food was not bad either.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Gunslinger

I believe this guy was mistaken and corporate will straighten out their policy. GC is one of the most pro-military businesses out there and pro-freedom. And especially in COS, this makes no sense. I am very interested in the outcome, Zack.

ZackL

Well, I talked to Rick and he said his VP of Operations said that if a customer complained they would have to ask me to leave, but otherwise carry on. I will definitely call corporate tomorrow. It just doesn't completely make sense to me as they have always shown a great respect for carry and they have never shown any anti tendencies. Thanks for talking me through this guys. Your advice has been helpful.

O2HeN2

...if a customer complained they would have to ask me to leave...
After giving our NRA course a bunch of instructors (and students if they wanted to join us) would OC at the Western Sizzlin that used to be at Cimarron (highway 24) and 8th in the 'springs. One night a patron complained. The manager immediately offered to refund the patron's cost for dinner if they would like to leave.

Here are a couple thoughts on the situation:

• If the patron thought that the person carrying the gun was dangerous, point out to the manager that they should be horribly insulted that a patron would send them into harms way (in the offended patron's eyes) by asking the manager to confront an armed person and asking them to leave.
  • Point out, or complement the manager on realizing just how safe and level headed you appear to be -- after all, if he had perceived you as dangerous, he wouldn't have risked his life asking an armed person to leave.
  • If all that fails, point out that leaving the gun out in the car isn't an option. He can allow you to stay, or he can ask you to leave, in which case you and your entire party demands a refund, since the contractual agreement you entered when you came (all you can eat for $) is being withdrawn voluntarily by the manager.

It might also be interesting to put this manager into contact with the manager up in the Denver area where the OC get-together recently happened to see if that helps.

O2

Last edited:

mahkagari

He can allow you to stay, or he can ask you to leave, in which case you and your entire party demands a refund, since the contractual agreement you entered when you came (all you can eat for $) is being withdrawn voluntarily by the manager.

You been here four hours! You go now!

RockyMtnScotsman

Well, I talked to Rick and he said his VP of Operations said that if a customer complained they would have to ask me to leave,

This oft-used excuse makes me sick to my stomach. It smacks of cowardice while attempting to hide behind "customer service" when in reality they're simply reaching for a convenient escape from the spotlight. Based on this "reasoning", if a customer complained about black people being in the restaurant (or bald people, or tall people, or people wearing a certain brand of shoes... take your pick) Rick and his VP-Ops would then ask them to leave? After all - the rationale is "someone complained" and it seems to matter not whether the target of the complaint is acting legally or not.

Please Rick, try that with a black patron and see where it gets you. Like black citizens, OCers are not second-class citizens and we don't deserve to be treated like it.

M-Taliesin

You been here four hours! You go now!

Howdy Mahkagari!
HOOOWWWWLLLLLLLLL!
I don't know how many other folks recognized that reference, but I surely did.
Thanks for the grins.
Now to wipe the monitor down.

I hate spewing Pepsi through the nostrils to start with, so thanks for that little thrill!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

since9

Campaign Veteran
He said that according to his higher ups that it had always been their policy to allow open carry, but only with a concealed carry permit.

That's like saying they allow people to drive a lawn-mower, but only with a drivers license. Two different animals.

He then said he didn't need to see it, just for me to affirm that I had one. I admitted that I didn't and he said I would have to take the gun outside.

I'll OC there some time in the next couple of days and see what's up. CHPs only cover CC. They have nothing to do with OC, a right afforded to all people here in Colorado, with very few exceptions.

From there he told me that he wouldn't have approached me if there hadn't been a complaint from another patron.

Ask if he'd rather have honest, law-abiding citizens as patrons or mere whiners... Seriously, you might ask him, "Did you inform your customer that Open Carry is legal here in Colorado?" That's not only the truth, but it puts it back on the manager.

I told him that I understand and that when you get down to it, businesses are in a lose lose situation there. They get to lose the complaining party's business, or the other party's business.

Not at all! I see it as a win-win situation. You might ask him, "Did you inform your customer that Open Carry is legal here in Colorado?" That's not only the truth, but it puts it back on the manager, as well as the complainant, with the point of discussion going to ground where it belongs - with the law. The law says Open Carry is legal, and that's a good thing. Hopefully, both the manager and the customer will learn something new.

He said that he was going to check with CSPD about the laws regarding open carry and that he would also talk to his superiors and see what they should do about it beings it is legal.

I'm definitely OCing there sometime in the next couple of days.

Last edited:

sawah

Well, first off, I've been gone for about six months (life can get in the way and I am sorry) I've been trying to keep up with everything. Anyway, I was out to my annual birthday dinner with my family and we went to Golden Corral (on Woodmen and Powers) and after getting completely through our meal and mostly through dessert, the Manager came up to me and asked me if I had a concealed carry permit. Having not really paid attention to the man beforehand because he was wearing a Golden Corral uniform, I didn't catch it the first time and had to ask him what he meant. He repeated himself and I asked him when there was a shift in the management's position. He said that according to his higher ups that it had always been their policy to allow open carry, but only with a concealed carry permit. He then said he didn't need to see it, just for me to affirm that I had one. I admitted that I didn't and he said I would have to take the gun outside. I told him that that was fine and that I wouldn't be back... Okay, so I overreacted a bit...

I think you UNDERREACTED. You should have said 'Are you asking me to leave before I'm finished with my meal?' If he said yes, then you reply, ok then I request a refund of the entire price of the meal since I was not allowed to finish eating. I suspect he'd say 'oh, uh, ok, well next time...'.

Make him put his money (or lack of) where his mouth is.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Somebody explain to me why a private business cannot set whatever policy the want regarding allowing OC and/or CC within their establishment.

In my dealings with Golden Corral, I have determined that many of the restaurants are franchise operations and have been told that corp. allows the franchisee to set their own rules.

We have two such in the Richmond area - one is decidedly pro self-defense - we have had many meet n' greets there. The other not so much - the manager said if another customer complains.....I'm a member of NRA......Why don't you darn guys just cover it up and stop pushing things.

Guess which one we don't go to anymore. Still bottom line: Its his operation and he gets to make the rules.

ZackL

It was a Friday, I plan on going back soon as I have to take a friend to dinner and that's her favorite place to eat. Also, I have put in an email (no phone number I could find) to corporate and have been waiting on their response (I will be forced to get a number if I don't hear from them on Monday). When I called Rick back he said I would be more than welcome back, OC and all, as long as nobody complained.

When we were talking (not sure if it was at the restaurant or on the phone) he said that it would be the same as if someone came in with profanity on their shirt of if someone were being belligerent. I took the latter as an insult, but I was trying to not get upset so I didn't say anything. I see a lot of things I could have done differently, and some that I actually wish I would have done differently.

As for putting him into contact with the manager in Aurora, that may not be a bad idea, but I would like to talk to corporate first just to know where exactly the stand on the subject. Again, thank you guys for your input and I am processing all of it.

As an aside, how many run-ins have you all had out here in the springs and east of the springs with businesses and people saying something? It seems like I have an extreme amount of bad luck with getting asked to leave lol.