• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No More Open Carry at Golden Corral?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It was a Friday, I plan on going back soon as I have to take a friend to dinner and that's her favorite place to eat. Also, I have put in an email (no phone number I could find) to corporate and have been waiting on their response (I will be forced to get a number if I don't hear from them on Monday). When I called Rick back he said I would be more than welcome back, OC and all, as long as nobody complained.
---snip---

Corporate Headquarters
Golden Corral Corporation.......Contact Us
5151 Glenwood Ave.
Raleigh, NC 27612
919-781-9310

M-Taliesin

When we were talking (not sure if it was at the restaurant or on the phone) he said that it would be the same as if someone came in with profanity on their shirt of if someone were being belligerent.

As an aside, how many run-ins have you all had out here in the springs and east of the springs with businesses and people saying something? It seems like I have an extreme amount of bad luck with getting asked to leave lol.

Howdy Amigo!
So.... what is he saying? That open carry equates equally with belligerence? Or with profanity, as if the act of carrying equals obscenity? Really? He's reaching that deep to back his stand?

I'd be inclined to ask if a peace officer walked in, carrying openly, whether he'd be asked to take it outside? Or if a complaint came from another customer, whether the officer would be asked to stow his firearm in the car or otherwise conceal it? I'll wager the answer would be negative. In reality, we are all "peace officers" if you wanna stretch terms to the breaking point, as in opene carry being equal to profanity or beligerence! We all have the authority to make an arrest if we observe a crime taking place. Few citizens are familiar with the laws pertaining to citizen's arrest, but each and every citizen of the state of Colorado has the authority to make an arrest when witnessing a crime.

And I'd be further interested to visit that Golden Corral, and assuming a complaint came in, whether he'd ask me to deposit my weapon in the car... because I carry a badge. No... I ain't a cop, but I AM a Fugitive Recovery Agent. I arrest people. I've arrested quite a few already. Seeing my badge, my I.D., what then? While a local cop has arrest authority within his jurisdiction, I have my arrest authority from the federal decision in Taylor v. Taintor. My jurisdiction isn't limited to city boundaries, county lines or state borders. I can go wherever the fugitive is and take him into custody, so long as I abide by the laws of another state to which the fugitive may have travelled. So how would your manager handle my legitimate and lawful carry of a firearm?

It is my opinion that the particular manager involved is venting his personal bias. How do you know a customer actually complained? Because he said so? What if there is no complaining customer, but just him saying such because he doesn't like people exercising their freedoms to carry?

I think I will drop by that particular establishment on the 14th while in town! Maybe make a day of it and contact some bondsmen in the area to try drumming up some business. Maybe look for a fugitive or two while there! Maybe even make an arrest while enjoying my visit to the Springs. Sure... why not make a day of it and earn a bounty in the bargain?

But I'd love to have him come to advise me of a complaint and ask me to take my handgun to my car. I would enjoy seeing the look on his face when I produce badge and I.D. Now what? He probably never thought things through, and would suddenly be confronted with a conundrum. What does he do with an FRA? Or a security cop who comes in armed? Or a street cop who comes in openly carrying? Where does he draw his line, and to what degree is it arbitrary on his part?

I'll be at that gathering at Starbucks on the 14th, then after, I'll be headed for the GC in question to see what I may learn!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

O2HeN2

Somebody explain to me why a private business cannot set whatever policy the want regarding allowing OC and/or CC within their establishment. ... Its his operation and he gets to make the rules.
You'll get no argument from me, and I doubt anyone else. But we also have the right to try and change his opinion.
Why don't you darn guys just cover it up and stop pushing things.
Seems you're on the wrong board if you hold that opinion.

O2

O2HeN2

...he said that it would be the same as if someone came in with profanity on their shirt of if someone were being belligerent. I took the latter as an insult...
I'd take both as an insult. I agree, he's biased and he's digging.

M-Taliesin, you want me to come in at the same time and complain about you to set it up? :)

[unfortunately an empty offer -- I'll be needing to head into work after Starbucks]

O2

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You'll get no argument from me, and I doubt anyone else. But we also have the right to try and change his opinion.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

Why don't you darn guys just cover it up and stop pushing things.

--Quote taken out of context & therefore misleading --
This remark entered 2/5/12 by GS.

Seems you're on the wrong board if you hold that opinion.

O2

That sir, is almost funny.

You might want to reread my post - I was repeating what the Golden Corral manager said: if another customer complains.....I'm a member of NRA......Why don't you darn guys just cover it up and stop pushing things."

Even if that wasn't clear/obvious to you, you might consider looking at my profile and past posts before you jump to such an absurd conclusion. I recognize that you have not had the benefit of a lengthy history here yet and as such do not know those of us that have been involved for some time in defending and promoting RKBA and notably OC.

That and I am fairly well know as a Moderator on this board. In that capacity, I will tell you that OCDO does not limit, restrict or otherwise prevent postings to only those that agree with us. It is the subject material (OC specifically & guns generally) that is controlled - not the POV or personal opinion of the poster/user.

RandyH

Zack,

I have been following this story with some interest. To let you know who I am and where I am summing from. I am a middle aged man (that is if I live past 100) average kind of guy. You can check my bio so that I won’t repeat any thing. FYI my previous screen name was watchdog, if that maters.

This is just my observation of the average mans human nature. The vast majority of people are conditioned to think that only police are to be armed. I get the question from time to time “Are you a cop” after I tell them “No I’m just a good guy”. Some will ask more questions but most of the time that replay seems to satisfies there curiosity. I think it may have to do with age and the way I dress. That’s me guess.

As unfair as it may sounds, I think that a lot of people (with the conditioning that only police are to be armed) sees a man of your age armed may make then nervous:eek:. Also what you wear. We all make judgments of cheater based on what we see all the time, as right or as wrong as we may be. And lot of the time we never nave the opportunity to find out how right of wrong we are.

I have been asked to leave a business before, and there was no anti gun sign at the door. As annoying as it may be,:cuss: you just have a brief and polite conversation, tell them to have a nice day, them promptly leave. I your case taking to management and the corporate office to find out their policy is the correct way. Remember knowledge is power.

Since I started this journey (no being defenseless) I have learned a lot that I did not know and had to unlearn what I thought I knew. And still have a lot more to learn:confused:. Keep up the good work of educating the ignorant with the facts and a smile. Hope to meet you some day.

ZackL

Thanks Randy. You brought up a few really good points. A lot of it may be the fact that I am young, dress in a t-shirt or wrangler work shirt, with black dickies or jeans most of the time and have a beard and always wear a hat. It is unfair, but it is a normal thing for people to make judgements. Hopefully in a few years I won't look so young and stupid. I am going to call corporate tomorrow at the end of their business day if I don't get an email, and possibly if I do just to verify.

M-Taliesin

A lot of it may be the fact that I am young, dress in a t-shirt or wrangler work shirt, with black dickies or jeans most of the time and have a beard and always wear a hat.

Howdy Amigo!
Since I started OC'ing back around April/May/June... Somewhere in there... I've carried at all times, everywhere, except at work where I am supposed to be friendly and cooperative to anyone who sticks a pistol in my face and sets upon to abscond with my money. They won't even allow their folks to carry an ASP baton or pepper spray. What's left? Harsh language???

Anyhow, I have obeyed their restriction, but as soon as I am off the clock, I am armed. I actually was robbed at gunpoint once, and discovered to my astonishment that I didn't enjoy the experience... not one little tiny bit.

But I digress. I often dress in jeans and a tee shirt. I regularly wear a beard (but haven't lately) and sometimes a comfy Stetson. I may choose a polo shirt and dockers one day, grungy jeans and tee shirt the next. I am young at 62, and getting younger all the time. I don't think age should play much part in whether a man decides to carry open. After all, guys your age are returning from Afghanistan and Iraq where they took up arms in defense of our nation. Why should they not also be entitled to self defense?

Yeah, it is easier if you are dressed up a bit nicer, but that should not be a determinant. Your attitude when OC'ing is (in my humble but highly educated opinion) much more important. I project a friendly, jovial, locacious nature that tends to put folks at ease. A friendly "How ya doin'?" or "Howdy!" with a toothy grin doesn't hurt neither.

There are all manner of opinions on the subject, but what matters is results. And I have not to this day been asked to leave any establishment. (touch wood!)

A great deal depends on how you carry yourself while open carrying. I may have coined a phrase there!!! But it is true.

Hope your luck improves, and we hear more positive reports going down range!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

since9

Campaign Veteran
Um, I think the point here is OC, not CC.

Oops! Thanks. Corrected.

I don't think I'll be carrying, either OC or CC, anywhere at 3:31 AM, either... :lol:

I have been asked to leave a business before, and there was no anti gun sign at the door. As annoying as it may be,:cuss: you just have a brief and polite conversation, tell them to have a nice day, them promptly leave.

These days, with my patience of the Constitutionally and situationally ignorant running thin, my approach is likely to be something along the lines of:

Me: Sir, I was wondering if you'd myself and others like me a favor...

Manager: What's that?

Me: I noticed your establishment wasn't posted with a "No Firearms" sign. That tends to lead to situations like this, and frankly, wastes our time. A sign would go a long way to helping prevent that.

Manager: Ok, I'll think about it.

Me: Oh, there's a down side, though...

Manager: What's that?

Me: Two, actually. First, you're disarming your law-abiding customers, and second, you're telling criminals and nut-jobs who might target your business that your customers are disarmed. Have a nice day!

Last edited:

ZackL

Ok, so I am in the process of talking to the owner of the Golden Corral on Woodmen. I did call corporate, they said that I would have to talk to regional. Then regional said that because it's an independent franchise, I would have to talk to the owner to find out what his policy is. I called, left a message and got a clarification call back from his assistant. However, I am waiting on his final response.

Sorry there's no news yet guys. I'm hoping to hear back from him tomorrow, if not I will have to call again. I just wanted to update everyone.

Red Dawg

SINCE9: ASking/telling the management to put up a sign is a bad thing. That will also cause those that are CC to have issues, if a jacket, or shirt happens to uncover the gun. It's of my opinion that signage is just bad...

ZackL

I literally just got off the phone with Darrel (sp?), the VP of operations for the owner of the Golden Corral on Woodmen. Despite saying repeatedly that he supports open carry and that he feels safer when there's someone around that is carrying. He stood by what Rick has said and that if there is a customer complaint that you will be asked to disarm, coverup or leave. He reiterated that most of the people who work for the owner of Golden Corral are 2A supporters, but he still equated it to wearing an obscene shirt or being drunk/smelling bad and that if someone else complains the person will again be asked to leave. However, if there are no complaints, there is no issue. I'm still processing the outcome of the conversation myself, and trying to figure out what to do next.

Also, he said that if an officer came in, off-duty, and was OCing, that he would not ask him to leave, disarm or coverup. He then followed that by saying that he wasn't unsympathetic, but he had to do what he felt was best to maintain the majority of his customers. He also stated that he wasn't trying to be on one side of the fence or the other and that he simply had to do what was necessary to make a profit.

Let me know what you all think.

mahkagari

He then followed that by saying that he wasn't unsympathetic, but he had to do what he felt was best to maintain the majority of his customers. He also stated that he wasn't trying to be on one side of the fence or the other and that he simply had to do what was necessary to make a profit.

This is the crux of the issue. No matter what a business owner's political leanings may be, he still needs to pay his mortgage and feed his kids at the end of the day. He has to make the calculated decision as to whether he will lose more customers/$$ by asking someone to cover-up (who will more likely do so politely) or telling the complaining customer to ignore it (who is more likely to cause a scene).

Beau

This is the crux of the issue. No matter what a business owner's political leanings may be, he still needs to pay his mortgage and feed his kids at the end of the day. He has to make the calculated decision as to whether he will lose more customers/$$ by asking someone to cover-up (who will more likely do so politely) or telling the complaining customer to ignore it (who is more likely to cause a scene).

--Moderator deleted inappropriate comment--

golddigger14s

Activist Member
If a customer complains causing you to leave I would demand a refund, or demand that the complaintent leave since they are offending you. Only fair right?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If a customer complains causing you to leave I would demand a refund, or demand that the complaintent leave since they are offending you. Only fair right?

Would probably request a refund for all in my party if polite conversation explaining did not work. Have never had that specific problem in that exact manner though.

Fair isn't the question to me - what is most effective is.

Beau

--Moderator deleted inappropriate comment--

I don't see how the comment was inappropriate. How about invertebrate hypocrite? Either way my opinion of him remains the same. It's what you call someone who says they believe in something but backs down from their belief when faced with opposition.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I don't see how the comment was inappropriate. How about invertebrate hypocrite? Either way my opinion of him remains the same. It's what you call someone who says they believe in something but backs down from their belief when faced with opposition.

We all are entitled to our personal private opinions, but when such descriptions are posted here and are insulting/attacking of another because their choice differs from yours, then that reflects poorly on OCDO and is a violation of the rules.

The restaurant manager is full well within his rights to operate his personal property in any manner he wishes and we show respect for property rights here. If we hope to ever convert others, show them the wisdom of our ways, or reach an understanding then we cannot go about insulting them. He (the manager) is trying in his own way to satisfy a broad based clientele. Everything someone else does is not always either black or white, for us or against us.

Your comment was inappropriate and detrimental to our goals; therefore it was removed.

Beau

We all are entitled to our personal private opinions, but when such descriptions are posted here and are insulting/attacking of another because their choice differs from yours, then that reflects poorly on OCDO and is a violation of the rules.

The restaurant manager is full well within his rights to operate his personal property in any manner he wishes and we show respect for property rights here. If we hope to ever convert others, show them the wisdom of our ways, or reach an understanding then we cannot go about insulting them. He (the manager) is trying in his own way to satisfy a broad based clientele. Everything someone else does is not always either black or white, for us or against us.

Your comment was inappropriate and detrimental to our goals; therefore it was removed.
Didn't mean to violate rules. I didn't realize that calling someone not on this board a name was a violation of rules.

To clarify I never said anything, or objected to, a property owners ability to set rules. My objection is that this person said they approved and supported something but that they would act in direct contradiction to their belief if they were faced with a differing opinion. His stance has nothing to do with satisfying a broad clientele. His answer is a non answer and was given in the hopes that he wouldn't lose any business from either side.