Thread: Is there some place where I can look up terminology and acronyms used on this site?

Is there some place where I can look up terminology and acronyms used on this site?

I keep seeing some acronyms that I can't quite figure out... like people say Welcome to OCDO... obviously the OC stands for Open Carry, but what does the DO stand for? There are other things I come across sometimes as well but can't think of off the top of my head right now, and it just seems like there should be a thread somewhere with a list of terminology and acronyms commonly used on this site.

OCDO = Open Carry Dot Org

Google may be your friend for most of the others you run into. Please feel free to ask about any that you cannot find after doing a little basic searching on your own.

stay safe.

PS - Welcome to OCDO.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

When I was newer, OP was one that took me a few minutes of thought.

OP=Original Poster

OC = Open Carry

CC = Concealed Carry

CCW = the crime of carrying concealed without a permit, but most people use it to denote a permit, or CCing legally, or the firearm they use for CC (which is technically an incorrect usage)

EDC = Every Day Carry (the stuff--gun, holster, pocket knife, cell phone, pepper spray, multi tool, whatever, that you carry in your pockets and on your belt every day.)

EHOC = Empty Holster Open Carry (what some of us do in protest of the lack of reciprocity, or arbitrary permit issuance policies in anti-carry states like Maryland, California, and New York. It is just as it sounds--wearing an EMPTY holster, plainly visible.)

LEO = Law Enforcement Officer (police)

LEA = Law Enforcement Agency

IANAL = I Am Not A Lawyer (what people sometimes post at the end of a complicated legal discussion, as a sort of "disclaimer" that their opinion is worth exactly as much as you paid for it on an internet forum...)

Every state has a different name for it's CC permit or general carry/ownership license. So many people use the incorrect term "CCW" as a generic term for the permit itself. This may be convenient, but it is incorrect and inaccurate. The ONLY place "Carrying a Concealed Weapon" exists in ANY state's statute is as the definition of a CRIME. It's better (and more accurate) to use the actual acronym for the card you have. Here are a few:

IL = FOID (Firearms Owner ID)
    PA = LTCF (License To Carry Firearms)
    NC & VA (for non-residents) =CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit)
    VA (residents) = PCCH (Permit to Carry a Concealed Handgun)
    MD = PCH (Permit to Carry a Handgun--these are SUPER rare, and generally you can't get one unless you are rich and well-connected)
    FL = CWFL (Concealed Weapon or Firearms License)
    NH = PRL (Pistol/Revolver License)
    UT = CFP (Concealed Firearms Permit)

Here is a comprehensive list, complete with pics of the actual permits:
    http://www.usacarry.com/concealed-ca...-examples.html

And here are a few acronym/abbreviation definitions that are more for your entertainment, than linguistic accuracy:

TSA = Total Sodomy Agency / Traumatic Search Agency / Totalitarian Security A$$hats / Tremendously Stupid A$$holes

BATFE = Bringing Anarchy Through Federal Expenditures / Bastard Authoritarians Tromping Freedoms Everyday

If there are other acronyms or abbreviations you don't know or understand, please PM me, and I'll update this list...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 01-29-2012 at 01:55 AM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    ...The ONLY place "Carrying a Concealed Weapon" exists in ANY state's statute is as the definition of a CRIME....
    While the long version in my state is a Concealed Firearms Permit, the initialism (not an acronym, which is read as a pronounceable word) is CCW, used throughout the application process. The office of my sheriff's department that handles it is officially called the CCW Detail. There is nothing wrong with the term.

http://www.lvmpd.com/permits/firearms_concealed.html

Also, it is always good to point out that LEO (this one is actually an acronym) is a title. It is increasingly rarely an accurate job description.
    Last edited by MAC702; 01-28-2012 at 07:26 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

One that took me a while to figure out was RKBA - Right to Keep and Bear Arms

GATToTP = Going Armed Tothe Terror of The Public

Or GATTOP
    Or GATTToTP
    or....
    Last edited by wrightme; 01-31-2012 at 12:52 AM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Excellent list Dreamer and all. A few more (along the lines of CCW) that some may miss...

CPL = Concealed Pistol License
    CWP = Concealed Weapons Permit
    Carry weapon: SA XDm .40 SC + 11rd Ranger SXT 180gr

Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    GATToTP = Going Armed Tothe Terror of The Public

Or GATTOP
    Or GATTToTP
    or....
    Man, how did I leave THAT one off the list? Sorry for that oversight...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

What the heck does "RAS" stand for? Contextually it's easy to figure out that it means "Reasonable Cause" or "Reasonable suspicion", but I can't quite come up with the actual expansion of the acronym.

RAS as in: "If the officer tells you that you are being detained ask what his RAS is and then say nothing."

Thanks, O2

Quote Originally Posted by O2HeN2 View Post
    What the heck does "RAS" stand for? Contextually it's easy to figure out that it means "Reasonable Cause" or "Reasonable suspicion", but I can't quite come up with the actual expansion of the acronym.

RAS as in: "If the officer tells you that you are being detained ask what his RAS is and then say nothing."

Thanks, O2
    "Reasonable Articulable Suspicion"

To believe that:
    (1) a crime has been committed
    (2) a crime is being committed, or
    (3) a crime is about to be committed; AND
    (4) the person about to be stopped is the person who did one of the above.

It is based off of:

Terry v. Ohio, 392 U.S. 21, 88 S.Ct. 1868 (1968)

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/htm...2_0001_ZS.html
    Last edited by thebigsd; 02-04-2012 at 11:39 AM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

MWAG = Man With A Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron007 View Post
    MWAG = Man With A Gun
    Or for those of you who have the misfortune to have to worry about "Jim Crow" laws and attitudes, there's also:

BMWAG = Black Man With a Gun

which, unfortunately, is enough in some jurisdictions to attract some VERY serious, unwanted attention...

Its also the name of an awesome podcast about gun rights by a guy from MD named Kenn Blanchard:

http://kennblanchard.com/
    Last edited by Dreamer; 02-04-2012 at 10:11 PM.
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964