• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is there some place where I can look up terminology and acronyms used on this site?

Z1P2

I keep seeing some acronyms that I can't quite figure out... like people say Welcome to OCDO... obviously the OC stands for Open Carry, but what does the DO stand for? There are other things I come across sometimes as well but can't think of off the top of my head right now, and it just seems like there should be a thread somewhere with a list of terminology and acronyms commonly used on this site.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
OCDO = Open Carry Dot Org

Google may be your friend for most of the others you run into. Please feel free to ask about any that you cannot find after doing a little basic searching on your own.

stay safe.

PS - Welcome to OCDO.

Dreamer

OC = Open Carry

CC = Concealed Carry

CCW = the crime of carrying concealed without a permit, but most people use it to denote a permit, or CCing legally, or the firearm they use for CC (which is technically an incorrect usage)

EDC = Every Day Carry (the stuff--gun, holster, pocket knife, cell phone, pepper spray, multi tool, whatever, that you carry in your pockets and on your belt every day.)

EHOC = Empty Holster Open Carry (what some of us do in protest of the lack of reciprocity, or arbitrary permit issuance policies in anti-carry states like Maryland, California, and New York. It is just as it sounds--wearing an EMPTY holster, plainly visible.)

LEO = Law Enforcement Officer (police)

LEA = Law Enforcement Agency

IANAL = I Am Not A Lawyer (what people sometimes post at the end of a complicated legal discussion, as a sort of "disclaimer" that their opinion is worth exactly as much as you paid for it on an internet forum...)

Every state has a different name for it's CC permit or general carry/ownership license. So many people use the incorrect term "CCW" as a generic term for the permit itself. This may be convenient, but it is incorrect and inaccurate. The ONLY place "Carrying a Concealed Weapon" exists in ANY state's statute is as the definition of a CRIME. It's better (and more accurate) to use the actual acronym for the card you have. Here are a few:

IL = FOID (Firearms Owner ID)
PA = LTCF (License To Carry Firearms)
NC & VA (for non-residents) =CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit)
VA (residents) = PCCH (Permit to Carry a Concealed Handgun)
MD = PCH (Permit to Carry a Handgun--these are SUPER rare, and generally you can't get one unless you are rich and well-connected)
FL = CWFL (Concealed Weapon or Firearms License)
NH = PRL (Pistol/Revolver License)
UT = CFP (Concealed Firearms Permit)

Here is a comprehensive list, complete with pics of the actual permits:
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed-carry-permit-examples.html

And here are a few acronym/abbreviation definitions that are more for your entertainment, than linguistic accuracy:

TSA = Total Sodomy Agency / Traumatic Search Agency / Totalitarian Security A$$hats / Tremendously Stupid A$$holes

BATFE = Bringing Anarchy Through Federal Expenditures / Bastard Authoritarians Tromping Freedoms Everyday

If there are other acronyms or abbreviations you don't know or understand, please PM me, and I'll update this list...

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...The ONLY place "Carrying a Concealed Weapon" exists in ANY state's statute is as the definition of a CRIME....

While the long version in my state is a Concealed Firearms Permit, the initialism (not an acronym, which is read as a pronounceable word) is CCW, used throughout the application process. The office of my sheriff's department that handles it is officially called the CCW Detail. There is nothing wrong with the term.

http://www.lvmpd.com/permits/firearms_concealed.html

Also, it is always good to point out that LEO (this one is actually an acronym) is a title. It is increasingly rarely an accurate job description.

Last edited:

GuidoZ

Excellent list Dreamer and all. A few more (along the lines of CCW) that some may miss...

CPL = Concealed Pistol License
CWP = Concealed Weapons Permit

O2HeN2

What the heck does "RAS" stand for? Contextually it's easy to figure out that it means "Reasonable Cause" or "Reasonable suspicion", but I can't quite come up with the actual expansion of the acronym.

RAS as in: "If the officer tells you that you are being detained ask what his RAS is and then say nothing."

Thanks, O2

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
What the heck does "RAS" stand for? Contextually it's easy to figure out that it means "Reasonable Cause" or "Reasonable suspicion", but I can't quite come up with the actual expansion of the acronym.

RAS as in: "If the officer tells you that you are being detained ask what his RAS is and then say nothing."

Thanks, O2

"Reasonable Articulable Suspicion"

To believe that:
(1) a crime has been committed
(2) a crime is being committed, or
(3) a crime is about to be committed; AND
(4) the person about to be stopped is the person who did one of the above.

It is based off of:

Terry v. Ohio, 392 U.S. 21, 88 S.Ct. 1868 (1968)

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/historics/USSC_CR_0392_0001_ZS.html

Last edited:

Dreamer

MWAG = Man With A Gun

Or for those of you who have the misfortune to have to worry about "Jim Crow" laws and attitudes, there's also:

BMWAG = Black Man With a Gun

which, unfortunately, is enough in some jurisdictions to attract some VERY serious, unwanted attention...

Its also the name of an awesome podcast about gun rights by a guy from MD named Kenn Blanchard:

http://kennblanchard.com/

Last edited: