• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

carrying in state parks

vaz11

Does anybody know if you can carry in a state park?

example,
im planning to take a hike up to the castle at sleeping giant in hamden and i was thinking of packing some heat. but wasnt sure if that is legal.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Does anybody know if you can carry in a state park?

example,
im planning to take a hike up to the castle at sleeping giant in hamden and i was thinking of packing some heat. but wasnt sure if that is legal.
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2010/rpt/2010-R-0472.htm

http://www.jud.ct.gov/lawlib/law/firearms.htm

BTW - we don't "pack heat" here. We carry properly holstered handguns for personal defense. OC is used to denote open carry and CC for concealed carry. Otherwise just refer to carry.

smokeyburnout

Hate to side track but thease laws are retarded. I commonly fish in state parks in CT and fairly often where I fish is pretty far into the woods. On thease trips I have seen a lot of wildlife and heve even been a bit fearful a few times (walked up a hillside to the sight of a black bear about 25 yds from me). If anything I think self defence would be paramount in state parks. :::Rant Off:::

customcreationllc

Hate to side track but thease laws are retarded. I commonly fish in state parks in CT and fairly often where I fish is pretty far into the woods. On thease trips I have seen a lot of wildlife and heve even been a bit fearful a few times (walked up a hillside to the sight of a black bear about 25 yds from me). If anything I think self defence would be paramount in state parks. :::Rant Off:::

totally agree it is a stupid law it was supposed to stop poaching, tell you tell me the the last time there was a poaching problem.
The other is bow hunting I'm sorry but a bow doesn't kill an animal fast enough and I'm not robin hood shooting a hundred arrows a minute. When you come up on your deer and you see a bear eating it or you have a group of coyotes running around you I sure would feel more comfortable with a sidearm.

You would think that the woods is the one place no one would have a problem with people carrying, animals are very unpredictable and no one around to help, and no one to get hit by a stray bullet.

AGust82

Judging from my experience hunting in State forests, poaching is not the only thing the DEEP is concerned with, it's target shooting too. Sit for a few hours in the woods and sooner or later you'll hear someone emptying mags through a handgun. Tough to tell where it's coming from sometimes. That can be scary.
That doesn't make it a sensible law though. It's illegal to fire rounds into a hillside in a State park just like any town park. Catch and punish criminals just like anywhere else. We shouldn't be restricted because they can't police acres of forest.

smokeyburnout

I live by Naugatuck state forest and they literally have a shooting range in the middle of the forest. High Rock Shooting Range. I mean if you came across an asshat of a officer you could be ticketed while transporting to the range. Granted the charges would more than likely be dropped but nontheless an annoyance. Also to that point how is it ok for me to carry in that portion of the forest (state park) and not in the rest?

brk913

I live by Naugatuck state forest and they literally have a shooting range in the middle of the forest. High Rock Shooting Range. I mean if you came across an asshat of a officer you could be ticketed while transporting to the range. Granted the charges would more than likely be dropped but nontheless an annoyance. Also to that point how is it ok for me to carry in that portion of the forest (state park) and not in the rest?

Because the DEEP does allow firearms in under certain circumstances (like hunting in season), I am sure High Rock is also one of their exceptions.

CTSurvivor

I heard the state leases the range to the gun club that runs the range. Therefor that part is not considered to fall under the cgs statue for carrying in a state forest.
I hate to even relay the above info cause it was gun store talk and I have no written proof. Don't take what I am saying as factual and it should not be cited for reference in future posts.

AGust82

You heard pretty close CTSurvivor. It it my understanding that no money changes hands though. The State allows use of the land in exchange for it being open to the public and kept very cheap. The DEEP website lists it as a recommended place for shotgun patterning along with the State range in Glastonbury. The exception literally only applies to the road leading to the range. Pull over and go for a walk and you are committing a crime.

JohnnyO

I always thought there was a difference between a State Park and a State Forest.

smokeyburnout

You heard pretty close CTSurvivor. It it my understanding that no money changes hands though. The State allows use of the land in exchange for it being open to the public and kept very cheap. The DEEP website lists it as a recommended place for shotgun patterning along with the State range in Glastonbury. The exception literally only applies to the road leading to the range. Pull over and go for a walk and you are committing a crime.

The state allows use as police departments use that range for training at no charge and it is only open to the public on weekend.Also it is a nonprofit. They only charge I think $5 an hour per lane. Kinda a pre exhisting deal. Just seems stupid to me that I can carry there but should I walk 20 feet into the woods I am breaking the law. Just a pet peeve of mine is all.

Last edited: