• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cops: Man, 65, shoots teens who pushed him off bike, kills one

Kotyaer

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...oots-teens-who-pushed-him-off-bike-kills-one/
(CBS) - Police say a 65-year-old man attacked by three teenagers in Pennsylvania shot two of them, killing one, after they knocked him off his bike and assaulted him in an alleged robbery attempt.

Police say on Wednesday the man was riding on a trail in Reading, about 60 miles northwest of Philadelphia, when the teens pushed him off the bicycle and two assaulted him, reports the Reading Eagle.

The man reportedly took out a handgun and shot the attackers.

According to the Eagle, police did not release the name of the boy who died but said he was 16-years-old. The other injured teen was reportedly taken to the nearby Reading Hospital and a third was taken in for questioning.

Police did not release the name of the man, who has not been charged, the Eagle reports.

Of course the title (direct from the CBS Site) makes one think it was just some old loon who lost it when some teenager shoved him, but we all know that's rarely the case.

Good on the guy. I hate to see a death in the news that could have been avoided, but perhaps the two surviving thugs have been scared straight...

PistolPackingMomma

police did not release the name of the boy who died but said he was 16-years-old.

Is his age truly relevant, or is this just another attempt to garner sympathy for the dead "victim"? Journalists....:banghead:

kadar

Is his age truly relevant, or is this just another attempt to garner sympathy for the dead "victim"? Journalists....:banghead:

Yup. It is all about the poor child that only made a mistake.

/sarcasm

http://www.wfmz.com/news/Shooting-victim-s-friends-speak-out/-/121458/8558762/-/4s65hx/-/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/pages/RIP-Julius-Johnson/341970155823533

Here is a better article about what happened:
http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-regio...trail/-/121418/8505702/-/3s906uz/-/index.html

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Another statistic that is fully on our side of the fence and will STILL be twisted to be anti-gun.

Either way, one less (and maybe three less) punks on the street. Good riddance, and I hope the old fellow doesn't have too many problems (legal, social, PTSD, etc) because of it. My prayers are with him.

rscottie

I sent this to the reporter that wrote the article about the thugs friends

Subj: Where is the story about the true VICTIM, the 65 yo man?‏

To pam.cunningham@wfmz.com

I look forward to reading your upcoming article about the true victim of this crime, the elderly gentleman that was out for a peaceful ride on his bike when he was brutally attacked by three thugs.

Perhaps you could address the threats of reprisals from the dead thugs friends that were posted on FB.

Or perhaps you could address the feelings of the victim and what he is going through having to take a life.

To memorialize, pay tribute to, or talk about how great the thug was that got killed is wrong. I could care less about how sad the thug supporters are.

So far the only thing I have heard from the media is second guessing on why the elderly man chose to shoot these thugs.

The victim did not choose to be attacked. The elderly victim did nothing wrong.

Sincerely,

Scott
rscottie@

Ken56

It will be interesting if you get a response but I wouldn't hold your breath. The media hasn't been gun friendly in the past now have they? The media shirks its social responsibilities when it doesn't report the whole story and therefore distorts and manipulates public perceptions. I wish the best for the TRUE victim .

MKEgal

PistolPackingMomma said:
Is his age truly relevant, or is this just another attempt to garner sympathy for the dead "victim"? Journalists...
Mmmm... maybe they're warning us that even "children" can be a threat to life?
Yeah, that's it - this is a continuation of useful warnings, just like when they report on the wilding teen mobs across the country.
They don't want people to think that just because someone isn't legally an adult yet they're not dangerous, esp. in packs.
[/saracsm]

rscottie

I received a reply from Pam Cunningham concerning her article about the thugs friends

Subj: Where is the story about the true VICTIM, the 65 yo man?‏

To pam.cunningham@wfmz.com

I look forward to reading your upcoming article about the true victim of this crime, the elderly gentleman that was out for a peaceful ride on his bike when he was brutally attacked by three thugs.

Perhaps you could address the threats of reprisals from the dead thugs friends that were posted on FB.

Or perhaps you could address the feelings of the victim and what he is going through having to take a life.

To memorialize, pay tribute to, or talk about how great the thug was that got killed is wrong. I could care less about how sad the thug supporters are.

So far the only thing I have heard from the media is second guessing on why the elderly man chose to shoot these thugs.

The victim did not choose to be attacked. The elderly victim did nothing wrong.

Sincerely,

Scott
rscottie@

Scott-

Thank you for watching and your feedback. I do not know who the victim is, but if I could tell his story I would. I'm sure what he is feeling is a range of emotions. And I know many people in Berks County support what he did.

I understand your point of view about the story I did on Friday. But please don't mistake my story as some sort of memorial for Johnson. His friends have their perspective and that's what the story was about.

-Pam

Notice that she made no effort to respond to the thugs friends threats to the true victim or to even acknowledge who the true victim was.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
My most recent student was a 67-year old retiree. She now has the confidence to own, carry, and use a sidearm for the first time in her life. She is settling on a S&W .38 of some configuration after handling several and shooting some of my firearms.

I can't tell you the warm fuzzy I get having been a part of that.

Difdi

It might be relevant. Older people tend to have more brittle bones than younger people, and often heal more slowly. Being pushed off a bicycle if you've got brittle bones is a bit further up the force continuum than if you don't have brittle bones, after all.

RR_Broccoli

It might be relevant. Older people tend to have more brittle bones than younger people, and often heal more slowly. Being pushed off a bicycle if you've got brittle bones is a bit further up the force continuum than if you don't have brittle bones, after all.

"Don't mess with an old man. He's too old to fight. He'll just kill you."

Good shoot.

PistolPackingMomma

I completely agree with you, but just want to point out, when I mentioned "his" age being relevant, I was referring to the assailant.

Xulld

I am only 32 years old, but I am dam lucky I can still ride a bike. I have fractured 2 vertebrae and have 1 ruptured and 2 bulged discs I know if some kid pushed me off my bike and tried assaulting me I would have little recourse but to shoot.