• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger SR1911 Auction for Wounded Warrior Project - Will You Participate?

Bucks Gun Shop

MODERATOR - FEEL FREE TO DELETE IF THIS IS INAPPROPRIATE TO BE POSTING IN THIS FORUM...

Gang:

I am considering running an open auction on my Facebook page www.Facebook.com/BucksGunShop...

All of the proceeds above $675 would be donated to the Wounded Warriors Project. The gun would have a reserve of $800 which is the MSRP.

If you are interested, please go to my Facebook page, "Like" us, and then post a comment regarding your interest on the page... Only respond if you would really participate in the auction and are willing to pay above the reserve price. I know that I can just sell the gun outright for $800 or more because they are impossible to get... They only have 4 on GunsAmerica right now and they all have offers on them...

My goal here is to do some good by raising funds for WWP rather than pass on a good deal to someone on a very hard to find gun...

Let me know if you would be interested participating... If not, then I will do something else with the gun - like keep it!!! ;-)

Thank you,
Earl Brigham, Owner
Buck's Gun Shop

Last edited:

Bucks Gun Shop

No doubt they can be had, but you'll pay right at $800 for it and the money will all go to whoever sells it to you... I'm not into price gouging just to pad my wallet... Would love to be able to make some good come of providing this "relatively" :D hard to find gun to someone...

Let me know on my FB page... Trying to gauge interest... If it is not there, I will just shoot the dang thing myself for a couple of months and then sell it used for what I paid for it...

Thanks gang....

fire suppressor

Not sure is the moderator will delete this or not but I just wanted to say I love the idea. I commend you for trying to do something to help our veterans. As much as I would love to participate I am sorry to say I can I not afford it right now. I have not got a chance to meet you yet and am not sure if you are former military or not but coming from a military family I think this is a great and fun way to raise money for people who so desperately need it. Thanks Earl hopefully we can do more things like this in the future. I will however like your Facebook page I did not know you had one, I'll pass your good name along

The Big Dog

How about a raffle for the same gun?

I think you are missing the mark. Hard times for many says 90% of the people can not afford to bid on the gun. Offer the same gun as a raffle for $5 or $10 per rafle ticket and 90% of the people can afford 1 ticket and many will buy many tickets just for the chance of winning. If you limit it to 200 tickets at $10 dollars, that would be $2,000 dollars for that $800 gun. Wounded Warriors get more money and 200 people have a 1 in 200 chance of owning a very nice gun.

Bucks Gun Shop

Big Dog:

You will see that I raised the question about doing it as a raffle as you suggest... I am not getting that much interest in the auction idea and am open to anything that will raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project... If others would participate in a raffle, let me know... I would like to see at least 100 tickets to the raffle sold at $10 per ticket...

Let me know...

FMCDH

I think you are missing the mark. Hard times for many says 90% of the people can not afford to bid on the gun. Offer the same gun as a raffle for $5 or $10 per rafle ticket and 90% of the people can afford 1 ticket and many will buy many tickets just for the chance of winning. If you limit it to 200 tickets at $10 dollars, that would be $2,000 dollars for that $800 gun. Wounded Warriors get more money and 200 people have a 1 in 200 chance of owning a very nice gun.

He may have something there!

Only down side is if you cant sell enough tickets to cover the reserve, then you have to give the money back which can be a logistical nightmare.

You can always soft sell tickets until enough of them are requested to cover the reserve.

For a Ruger 1911, I would think you may even be able to ask $20 each ticket without too much grumbling.

fire suppressor

I apologize for my first reply to this thread I somehow miss understand what you where suggesting. I thought it was to be a auction style bid where to gun goes to the highest bidder, I like a ticket raffle much more. Sorry about that

Bucks Gun Shop

I apologize for my first reply to this thread I somehow miss understand what you where suggesting. I thought it was to be a auction style bid where to gun goes to the highest bidder, I like a ticket raffle much more. Sorry about that

Your initial assumption was correct, however I have received feedback that a raffle would garner more participation and so I am "testing the waters" for the raffle style approach... Hopefully it will allow those that cannot afford $800+ right now to participate with an investment of $10 and a chance to win...

Trigger Dr

Before going with the raffle, I think you should check with the state gambling commission. IIRC there are some restrictions and requirements for running a raffle.

fire suppressor

Let me know if this is possible as long as the tickets stay around the $10 mark I will buy a couple. Even if I do not win the money will still go to a good cause

decklin

It's great to see someone so willing to help other people. If you do a raffle around $10 I'll buy a couple tickets as well.
Thank you for your support of the Troops.

Bucks Gun Shop

I am checking into some things, namely Washington State does not allow a business to run a raffle... Apparently only a charitable or not-for-profit organization can do so... I can apparently "run" the raffle for the charity/NFP... So, I have some inquiries out to see if I can get the Wounded Warrior Project to be the sponsor of the raffle, or find another NFP that will do so... I will keep you all posted...

decklin

I am checking into some things, namely Washington State does not allow a business to run a raffle... Apparently only a charitable or not-for-profit organization can do so... I can apparently "run" the raffle for the charity/NFP... So, I have some inquiries out to see if I can get the Wounded Warrior Project to be the sponsor of the raffle, or find another NFP that will do so... I will keep you all posted...

Perhaps the VFW?