Thread: Stand Your Ground Maps

Stand Your Ground Maps

Since admin refuses to put up relevant maps and prefers to display "machine gun ownership" which is totally useless to OC or CC, I have decided to post some of my own. I need to know what states I can actually defend myself, and where I need leave my gun in my trunk by law when I go shopping, not where I can
    own full auto....

Here is Stand your ground. It is incorrect - You can add Montana and Idaho as full stand your ground states. They should be green...

http://redensign.files.wordpress.com...ur-ground3.jpg

Here is one from the NRA for just castle doctrine: http://www.nraila.org/maps/cd.jpg

Here is one from '09: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...%3Disch&itbs=1

Another map we need is for Signs having "weight of law" in private establishments. handgunlaw.us shows it state by state, but someone needs to make a map and post it for all to see.

I wish admin would listen to the PPL who make up this board. You have a right to know the laws and not have to search piecemeal to find out!!!!

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    And they've got Virginia wrong. We have been a "stand your ground" state (it;s what is known as a "true man state") since 1607 with no duty to retreat, as long as you have a legal right to be where you are and are not party to the encounter (think instigator/escalator).
    Last edited by SouthernBoy; 01-30-2012 at 07:05 AM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Although I agree that a map for "Stand Your Ground " states would be very useful to this site, "Full Auto" map is extremely useful to the ones of us that have them and want to transport to another state.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Sorry to say Vermonter but your NRA link was a "page not found".
    That may be a good thing.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    And they've got Virginia wrong. We have been a "stand your ground" state (it;s what is known as a "true man state") since 1607 with no duty to retreat, as long as you have a legal right to be where you are and are not party to the encounter (think instigator/escalator).
    +100

Map fail.

Quote Originally Posted by vermonter View Post
    Since admin refuses to put up relevant maps and prefers to display "machine gun ownership" which is totally useless to OC or CC, I have decided to post some of my own. I need to know what states I can actually defend myself, and where I need leave my gun in my trunk by law when I go shopping, not where I can
    own full auto....
    I agree completely. The only relevance full-auto might have in an OC setting is if somebody is actually carrying something like a Glock-18C, a MAC-10A1A, a Turkish Zagana or an Uzi. I've never met anyone packing any of those on their hip...

Here is Stand your ground. It is incorrect - You can add Montana and Idaho as full stand your ground states. They should be green...

Here is one from the NRA for just castle doctrine: http://www.nraila.org/maps/cd.jpg
    Your map was very informative, so I saved it into my 'gun stuff' directory, and I will color MT and ID green (eventually). Thanks so much for the link! However, as has been previously mentioned, the NRA link is a "page not found" dead end, but the aforementioned map compensates for it.

Another map we need is for Signs having "weight of law" in private establishments. handgunlaw.us shows it state by state, but someone needs to make a map and post it for all to see.

I wish admin would listen to the PPL who make up this board. You have a right to know the laws and not have to search piecemeal to find out!!!!
    I also agree that we should be allowed forum access to any information regarding handguns, their posession, carrying and lawful use in general. Who can say what is relative to any other individual's need for info?

Excellent, thought-provoking and informative post! Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

MO should be green now as well.
    "Ever notice once in a while you come across somebody you shouldn't have f***ed with......That's me." -Clint Eastwood "Gran Torino"

NC passed a basic "Castle Doctrine" statute years ago, and as of 1. Dec 2011 adopted a more comprehensive Stand Your Ground statute which extends "no duty to retreat" to your vehicle, or any place you legally have a right to be.

NC should be Green.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Map is incorrect. CO was the first state in the nation with the "make my day law."

The term "Make My Day Law" arose at the time of the 1985 Colorado statute that protects people from any criminal charge or civil suit if they use force – including deadly force – against an invader of the home.[4] The law's nickname is a reference to the line "Go ahead, make my day" uttered by actor Clint Eastwood's character Harry Callahan in the 1983 film Sudden Impact, inviting a suspect to make himself liable to deadly retaliation by attacking Eastwood's character.
    Last edited by Gunslinger; 01-31-2012 at 11:49 AM.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

I know of no "duty to retreat" in OR either. May not be exactly the same as WA law, but they are close.

California is also a "stand your ground" state. The law allows you to intervene in defense of another as well. Also, there is a decent castle law in California.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    California is also a "stand your ground" state. The law allows you to intervene in defense of another as well. Also, there is a decent castle law in California.
    This may be true, they just don't want you to have the proper tools do do the job.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by rodbender View Post
    This may be true, they just don't want you to have the proper tools do do the job.
    I kept the same 1911 in my nightstand that I do in Virginia.

Carry is where California falls short. You can have the tools, just don't expect to take them around with you.

Harsh words are still legal in the PDR of KA for self defense. However, the burden is still on the subject/victim to justify them.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

own full auto....

The map has serious errors! In addition to the two you mentioned, Virginia should not be red. Colorado should be yellow, as we don't have a "stand your ground law" per se', but the laws we do have on the books both allow for armed self-defense without any requirement for retreat. So, it's a de-facto "stand your ground" state.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    The map has serious errors! In addition to the two you mentioned, Virginia should not be red. Colorado should be yellow, as we don't have a "stand your ground law" per se', but the laws we do have on the books both allow for armed self-defense without any requirement for retreat. So, it's a de-facto "stand your ground" state.
    And WI should be yellow as we finally received Castle Doctrine in 12/11.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Thanks for the replies. Sorry about the dead link. This is why I implore the Admin to put up correct "stand your ground " and "signs - weight of law" Maps. When I travel I would like to know these important thing. Other maps like "disclosure to officer" would be nice too.