Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who carries extra magazines? And how?

Who carries extra magazines? And how?

Picked up a little kydex dual mag holder the other day to carry a couple of "slightly lower capacity" mags to supplement "really low capacity" HiPoint (y'know, as opposed to "normal capacity" 18 or 19 round mags in most 9mm's). Got all geared up to head out today, then just felt kinda goofy, like the "everyone's staring at you" feeling of going out with a tactical drop-leg or something (not trying to start that debate, I'd just feel weird doing it).

So I'm wondering, who here regularly carries extra mags just for running around town?
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    Picked up a little kydex dual mag holder the other day to carry a couple of "slightly lower capacity" mags to supplement "really low capacity" HiPoint (y'know, as opposed to "normal capacity" 18 or 19 round mags in most 9mm's). Got all geared up to head out today, then just felt kinda goofy, like the "everyone's staring at you" feeling of going out with a tactical drop-leg or something (not trying to start that debate, I'd just feel weird doing it).

So I'm wondering, who here regularly carries extra mags just for running around town?
    I personally usually do not carry extra mags. Sometimes if I go to a big event in say, down town Seattle I might have an extra mag with me. When I do carry an extra mag, the mag is usually CC and my firearm is OC.
    Live Free or Die!

I always carry extra magazines and always concealed though my weapon will be concealed or open carry when I feel the need.

The reasoning behind carrying extra magazines is not only to have extra ammunition but more importantly if a malfunction occurred you can be back in action with in a few seconds.

My primary carry is a XD SubCompact 40 S&W that holds 9 rounds so an extra 2 mags bring the total of 27.
    Last edited by BigDave; 01-29-2012 at 12:25 AM.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Yes, at least one but mostly 2. I never want to die for lack of shooting back.

There's no limit on how many rounds I can carry right?

Quote Originally Posted by FMJ 911 View Post
    There's no limit on how many rounds I can carry right?
    Correct. You could walk around with a slung ak and twice your weight in drum mags and it would be perfectly legal. As to being wise or actually possible, thats for another thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct. You could walk around with a slung ak and twice your weight in drum mags and it would be perfectly legal. As to being wise or actually possible, thats for another thread.
    I disagree and feel it would not be hard for a prosecutor to get a conviction if someone was to do this.

RCW 9.41.270
    Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm — Unlawful carrying or handling — Penalty — Exceptions.

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.
    Last edited by BigDave; 01-29-2012 at 01:00 AM.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    I disagree and feel it would not be hard for a prosecutor to get a conviction if someone was to do this.
    Uh huh. And maybe said person is simply carrying their shooting gear from their vehicle to the shooting pit which is a little ways away. Without any other context (and I did not give any), the act is not unlawful.

guys and gals I am noticing a trend to split hairs, no offense to any follic'ly challenged folks, in the replies to folks lately. This is, in my opinion, lowering the useful amount of information being provided and discussed here. That said I have been enjoying the lively discussions of Open Carry that have been occurring lately, just getting corcerned over the tone and the slant.

Stay safe

I will typically carry one or two extra mags depending on what I am wearing and where I am going.

I use various types, but this is my favorite IWB double mag holder, and the one I use most of the time.
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Tu...me,ProductName

Uh huh. And maybe said person is simply carrying their shooting gear from their vehicle to the shooting pit which is a little ways away. Without any other context (and I did not give any), the act is not unlawful.
    Metalhead47 I was responding to what you posted and I quote "You could walk around with a slung ak and twice your weight in drum mags and it would be perfectly legal." and now you want to make it something totally different.

I am sure the majority here remember Josh and his case in Vancouver and went through the cost and being found guilty for open carrying for violation RCW 9.41.270 to include lost his first appeal and with no advancing of it for over a year now.
    How about the other man (forgot his name, sorry) that plead out instead of going to trial over what a violation of RCW 9.41.270.
    Go ahead with the attitude of pushing the envelope of this RCW and see where it gets you or those who carry in Washington State.

Suggesting "You could walk around with a slung ak and twice your weight in drum mags and it would be perfectly legal."
    is simply irresponsible.
    Do we need to take another look at State v Spencer?

Quote Originally Posted by Vitaeus View Post
    guys and gals I am noticing a trend to split hairs, no offense to any follic'ly challenged folks, in the replies to folks lately. This is, in my opinion, lowering the useful amount of information being provided and discussed here. That said I have been enjoying the lively discussions of Open Carry that have been occurring lately, just getting corcerned over the tone and the slant.

Stay safe
    Your not wrong, it seems to come and go in waves.

I am convinced the members of this forum are, by and large, subject to the equivalent of an E-PMS cycle.

Its especially important to have the "thick skin add-on" during this time, or just keep your head down and let it pass.

Metalhead47 I was responding to what you posted and I quote "You could walk around with a slung ak and twice your weight in drum mags and it would be perfectly legal." and now you want to make it something totally different.

I am sure the majority here remember Josh and his case in Vancouver and went through the cost and being found guilty for open carrying for violation RCW 9.41.270 to include lost his first appeal and with no advancing of it for over a year now.
    How about the other man (forgot his name, sorry) that plead out instead of going to trial over what a violation of RCW 9.41.270.
    Go ahead with the attitude of pushing the envelope of this RCW and see where it gets you or those who carry in Washington State.

Suggesting "You could walk around with a slung ak and twice your weight in drum mags and it would be perfectly legal."
    is simply irresponsible.
    Do we need to take another look at State v Spencer?
    Seriously dave? Get over yourself. FMCDH is right, you're E-PMSing or something. For anyone NOT on the E-rag, my comment was obviously mean to be tongue in cheek, hyperbole. No where in the RCW's does it limit how many rounds one may carry, my comment was meant to reflect that. Now can we get back to discussing what I ACTUALLY asked about without another thread turning into a train wreck please??

ETA: In reality, such act would actually be self-limiting. I doubt there's anyone on this forum who could even get past their own front door carrying twice their body weight of ANYTHING.
    Last edited by Metalhead47; 01-29-2012 at 01:39 AM.

No extra mags (clips, ammo despensing devices, or etc.), if the 17 in the gun are not enough then I'm in the wrong place in the first place.
    Last edited by golddigger14s; 01-29-2012 at 02:10 AM.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    No extra mags, if the 17 in the gun are not enough then I'm in the wrong place in the first place.
    Hmm...

As BigDave pointed out above, an extra mag isn't always about the number of rounds, but the ability to clear a malfunction that may be mag related, in a timely manner.

Sometimes that may mean simply stripping the current mag fast and inserting a new one.

Just a thought.

my comment was obviously mean to be tongue in cheek, hyperbole. No where in the RCW's does it limit how many rounds one may carry, my comment was meant to reflect that.
    You took it the route it went for making such a stupid comment but yet again you try and twist and turn what you originally stated
    Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    If you do not want someone to challenge your stupid comment then don't post it and take your midol and tomorrow will be a better day for you.

I RARELY carry an extra source of ammo. I am not a cop needing to put two in his chest and six in his back. I promise you that if I am shooting in self-defense, I am ALSO doing my best to get the hell out of there. I am far more likely to have a concealed BUG than I am to have an extra magazine for the primary. I am also rarely far from my vehicle, and there's no telling what's in there...
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

You took it the route it went for making such a stupid comment but yet again you try and twist and turn what you originally stated

If you do not want someone to challenge your stupid comment then don't post it and take your midol and tomorrow will be a better day for you.
    Geeze who lit the fuse on your tampon today? Bugger off and go find some other thread to derail. My comment was witty and amusing, if you didn't like it you could have simply chosen not to respond. Off with you now, go back to heckling that poor newbie Ruger guy.

I normally carry a extra mag in a black hawk mag holster
    "Fight like you train, train like you fight"

HAHAHA! "E-tampon....E-pms"!! EPMS makes AR's right?? LOL!

WOW! thats all I can say about some of the stuff in this thread. havent been on here in a few days. But to address the original question first, for me personally its one in the mag well, 2 extras on me, and like that one guy said....who knows whats in my vehicle?! so that brings my total to 46+. I OC mostly depending one where im going, but im licensed for CC so I have an option, everyone's different.....do what feels right to you.

Im not trying to act like Im "all-knowing" or get people mad.....its all my opinion and how I feel I should be prepared. IDK who said what....im not gunna waste my time looking, but on the other end of the spectrum... omg.... using a malfunction as a valid reason to carry extra magazines? really? working the slide on a stovepipe, etc does the same thing while allowing you to remain behind cover without potentially moving around to grab another mag. But whatever I guess.

Also, someone expressed that theres no point in carrying extra mags because theyd be "getting outta there as fast as possible"? makes sense in some situations, yes....but doesnt really seem like you're accounting for ANY circumstance that could take place. like: yer pinned down with very little cover...no way out except past the threat? maybe someone close to you is captive or in harms way? im not gunna go on and on.... but for me personally, id rather have 46 chances, than a measly 16. haha (although, I admit... in most cases you shouldnt even need more than 1-3 rounds)

hope everyone has a good day.

Gogo why CC your extra mag?
    Last edited by fire suppressor; 01-29-2012 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by p85-GSXwheelman View Post
    WOW! thats all I can say about some of the stuff in this thread. havent been on here in a few days. But to address the original question first, for me personally its one in the mag well, 2 extras on me, and like that one guy said....who knows whats in my vehicle?! so that brings my total to 46+. I OC mostly depending one where im going, but im licensed for CC so I have an option, everyone's different.....do what feels right to you.

Im not trying to act like Im "all-knowing" or get people mad.....its all my opinion and how I feel I should be prepared. IDK who said what....im not gunna waste my time looking, but on the other end of the spectrum... omg.... using a malfunction as a valid reason to carry extra magazines? really? working the slide on a stovepipe, etc does the same thing while allowing you to remain behind cover without potentially moving around to grab another mag. But whatever I guess.

Also, someone expressed that theres no point in carrying extra mags because theyd be "getting outta there as fast as possible"? makes sense in some situations, yes....but doesnt really seem like you're accounting for ANY circumstance that could take place. like: yer pinned down with very little cover...no way out except past the threat? maybe someone close to you is captive or in harms way? im not gunna go on and on.... but for me personally, id rather have 46 chances, than a measly 16. haha (although, I admit... in most cases you shouldnt even need more than 1-3 rounds)

hope everyone has a good day.
    I normally carry at least one extra mag, why? Because I would hate to win the gun fight only to lose to a brick to my head

I'll say this in a lighthearted way but I can't believe so many supposedly experienced firearm owners are so stupid.

Consider just what a 'magazine' is. It's almost a 'toy'. It's a thin-walled metal device that definitely has a shelf-life after repeated use (must be cleaned of residue, for example) and functions by way of a little spring. Without a magazine, ask yourself, of what used is your firearm? Can you load it manually? If you have a Cali-legal firearm, such as the LC9, your firearm will NOT function without the magazine.

What if your mag malfunctions? What if you lose it - you know, accidentally hit the release while getting out of the car? If you don't have at least ONE spare magazine you are completely out of luck.

If you are going to be fully functional and expect to be in a gun fight, you should be carrying multiple magazines (good idea to carry them concealed to a fashion - no need to look like a gun-nerd). I suspect that many here are not so stupid, but actually realize the chance of needing their firearm except as a ego-booster, (or like an airbag) is slim-to-none. (logical, or true notwithstanding)

So, consider your milieu, your surroundings, the imminent danger in the places you go regularly and if you think you might need to actually shoot your firearm to save your life, that you should not go out with only the magazine in your firearm. It's the weakest link, to coin a phrase.
    Last edited by sawah; 01-29-2012 at 07:59 AM.
    A firearm is a tool of convenience, not effectiveness - Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Quote Originally Posted by sawah View Post
    I'll say this in a lighthearted way but I can't believe so many supposedly experienced firearm owners are so stupid.

Consider just what a 'magazine' is. It's almost a 'toy'. It's a thin-walled metal device that definitely has a shelf-life after repeated use (must be cleaned of residue, for example) and functions by way of a little spring. Without a magazine, ask yourself, of what used is your firearm? Can you load it manually? If you have a Cali-legal firearm, such as the LC9, your firearm will NOT function without the magazine.

What if your mag malfunctions? What if you lose it - you know, accidentally hit the release while getting out of the car? If you don't have at least ONE spare magazine you are completely out of luck.

If you are going to be fully functional and expect to be in a gun fight, you should be carrying multiple magazines (good idea to carry them concealed to a fashion - no need to look like a gun-nerd). I suspect that many here are not so stupid, but actually realize the chance of needing their firearm except as a ego-booster, (or like an airbag) is slim-to-none. (logical, or true notwithstanding)

So, consider your milieu, your surroundings, the imminent danger in the places you go regularly and if you think you might need to actually shoot your firearm to save your life, that you should not go out with only the magazine in your firearm. It's the weakest link, to coin a phrase.
    I am not able to understand why you feel a need to conceal your mag over a fear of being as you called it a "gun nerd". You wear your sidearm with pride why feel pressure to cover its companion? The mag is another part of the gun, your gun and magazine will only function properly as a pair I consider my extra mag to be a extension of my gun

Quote Originally Posted by fire suppressor View Post
    I am not able to understand why you feel a need to conceal your mag over a fear of being as you called it a "gun nerd". You wear your sidearm with pride why feel pressure to cover its companion? The mag is another part of the gun, your gun and magazine will only function properly as a pair I consider my extra mag to be a extension of my gun
    Who said I felt a need? If you're OPEN carrying with, say, five magazines, I don't think I'd want to wear them all on my belt. I made that comment off of another person's suggestion that he carries extra mags concealed, which just means covered by a shirt, perhaps. When I'm going into a high risk, or high need situation, I have one in my gun, and three on my belt and one in my pocket. I probably have a jacket over my belt, which means the magazines are not necessarily visible.

HTH

PS - gun nerd=mall ninja, drop holster, bandoliers, >2 mags on belt, CC badge or sash.
    Last edited by sawah; 01-29-2012 at 08:13 AM.
    A firearm is a tool of convenience, not effectiveness - Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast