• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who carries extra magazines? And how?

fire suppressor

WOW! thats all I can say about some of the stuff in this thread. havent been on here in a few days. But to address the original question first, for me personally its one in the mag well, 2 extras on me, and like that one guy said....who knows whats in my vehicle?! :) so that brings my total to 46+. I OC mostly depending one where im going, but im licensed for CC so I have an option, everyone's different.....do what feels right to you.

Im not trying to act like Im "all-knowing" or get people mad.....its all my opinion and how I feel I should be prepared. IDK who said what....im not gunna waste my time looking, but on the other end of the spectrum... omg.... using a malfunction as a valid reason to carry extra magazines? really? working the slide on a stovepipe, etc does the same thing while allowing you to remain behind cover without potentially moving around to grab another mag. But whatever I guess.

Also, someone expressed that theres no point in carrying extra mags because theyd be "getting outta there as fast as possible"? makes sense in some situations, yes....but doesnt really seem like you're accounting for ANY circumstance that could take place. like: yer pinned down with very little cover...no way out except past the threat? maybe someone close to you is captive or in harms way? im not gunna go on and on.... but for me personally, id rather have 46 chances, than a measly 16. haha (although, I admit... in most cases you shouldnt even need more than 1-3 rounds)

hope everyone has a good day.

I normally carry at least one extra mag, why? Because I would hate to win the gun fight only to lose to a brick to my head

sawah

I'll say this in a lighthearted way but I can't believe so many supposedly experienced firearm owners are so stupid.

Consider just what a 'magazine' is. It's almost a 'toy'. It's a thin-walled metal device that definitely has a shelf-life after repeated use (must be cleaned of residue, for example) and functions by way of a little spring. Without a magazine, ask yourself, of what used is your firearm? Can you load it manually? If you have a Cali-legal firearm, such as the LC9, your firearm will NOT function without the magazine.

What if your mag malfunctions? What if you lose it - you know, accidentally hit the release while getting out of the car? If you don't have at least ONE spare magazine you are completely out of luck.

If you are going to be fully functional and expect to be in a gun fight, you should be carrying multiple magazines (good idea to carry them concealed to a fashion - no need to look like a gun-nerd). I suspect that many here are not so stupid, but actually realize the chance of needing their firearm except as a ego-booster, (or like an airbag) is slim-to-none. (logical, or true notwithstanding)

So, consider your milieu, your surroundings, the imminent danger in the places you go regularly and if you think you might need to actually shoot your firearm to save your life, that you should not go out with only the magazine in your firearm. It's the weakest link, to coin a phrase. :)

Last edited:

fire suppressor

I'll say this in a lighthearted way but I can't believe so many supposedly experienced firearm owners are so stupid.

Consider just what a 'magazine' is. It's almost a 'toy'. It's a thin-walled metal device that definitely has a shelf-life after repeated use (must be cleaned of residue, for example) and functions by way of a little spring. Without a magazine, ask yourself, of what used is your firearm? Can you load it manually? If you have a Cali-legal firearm, such as the LC9, your firearm will NOT function without the magazine.

What if your mag malfunctions? What if you lose it - you know, accidentally hit the release while getting out of the car? If you don't have at least ONE spare magazine you are completely out of luck.

If you are going to be fully functional and expect to be in a gun fight, you should be carrying multiple magazines (good idea to carry them concealed to a fashion - no need to look like a gun-nerd). I suspect that many here are not so stupid, but actually realize the chance of needing their firearm except as a ego-booster, (or like an airbag) is slim-to-none. (logical, or true notwithstanding)

So, consider your milieu, your surroundings, the imminent danger in the places you go regularly and if you think you might need to actually shoot your firearm to save your life, that you should not go out with only the magazine in your firearm. It's the weakest link, to coin a phrase. :)

I am not able to understand why you feel a need to conceal your mag over a fear of being as you called it a "gun nerd". You wear your sidearm with pride why feel pressure to cover its companion? The mag is another part of the gun, your gun and magazine will only function properly as a pair I consider my extra mag to be a extension of my gun

sawah

I am not able to understand why you feel a need to conceal your mag over a fear of being as you called it a "gun nerd". You wear your sidearm with pride why feel pressure to cover its companion? The mag is another part of the gun, your gun and magazine will only function properly as a pair I consider my extra mag to be a extension of my gun

Who said I felt a need? If you're OPEN carrying with, say, five magazines, I don't think I'd want to wear them all on my belt. I made that comment off of another person's suggestion that he carries extra mags concealed, which just means covered by a shirt, perhaps. When I'm going into a high risk, or high need situation, I have one in my gun, and three on my belt and one in my pocket. I probably have a jacket over my belt, which means the magazines are not necessarily visible.

HTH

PS - gun nerd=mall ninja, drop holster, bandoliers, >2 mags on belt, CC badge or sash.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

well,,,

to SAWAH:
your post would be troubling for me, if it wasnt soo stupid, both in style and advice.
ill tell you this, if i plan to go somewhere that i think i will need to use my gun for defense,
i will take many mags, many guns and many armed friends!
i do not go places where i think ill need to shoot my gun, that would be stupid!
i do go places that i need to go to and these are only places are generally concidered to be safe.
I HOPE that 15+1 45 acp will be enough fire power to protect me if the unexpected does happen.

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

I don't carry extra magazines. I've never carried extra magazines. I don't even own extra magazines. I do, however, carry several (non-extra) loaded magazines for each gun I have on me.:D

Jeff Hayes

I normally carry 2 spare mags, one for a tactical reload immediatly after having to defend myself. Say I fire 3 shots out of my 1911 now I am down to 4 rds left not a good place to be at the start of the second round of gun fire. I always want a full mag in my gun if at all possable. I dont know if the guy has five buddys just around the corner that are now really irritated that I just had to shoot their friend.

The second mag is to cover any malfunctions that may happen during a shooting.

I also normally do not OC my mags but sometime I will depending on the circumstances.

I also carry a BUG, I do not carry a spare mag for it.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Correct. You could walk around with a slung ak and twice your weight in drum mags and it would be perfectly legal. As to being wise or actually possible, thats for another thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree and feel it would not be hard for a prosecutor to get a conviction if someone was to do this.

Although obviously a joke, nothing metal said is contrary to law. And the cite provided proved such read it carefully. There is no such thing as a citizen pushing the envelope of a law the law is the infringement there is zealous prosecutors and bonehead cops who use the almost endless amount of tax payer money to go after citizens who don't have endless funds on agendas and to placate a minority of voters.

So better than attacking the citizen lets attack the "system" and how it is a perversion of justice. Josh's case is a perfect example. Big foot of big brother crushing all opposition.

I have 15 rounds in my Glock don't normally carry extra mags but do have a few in the vehicles and around the house.

Last edited:

sawah

to SAWAH:
your post would be troubling for me, if it wasnt soo stupid, both in style and advice.
ill tell you this, if i plan to go somewhere that i think i will need to use my gun for defense,
i do not go places where i think ill need to shoot my gun, that would be stupid!
i do go places that i need to go to and these are only places are generally concidered to be safe.
I HOPE that 15+1 45 acp will be enough fire power to protect me if the unexpected does happen.

I see that English is a second language for you, so I'll type slowly. It's not about firepower. Extra magazines are for specific defensive purposes. You're focusing on the wrong thing. As to the 'high need', I'm talking about the gun range.

HTH

PS - I should include a smiley face. :)

Last edited:

amlevin

I carry two extra mags in a paddle type mag carrier on the opposite side as my handgun. First and foremost I carry the extra in case of malfunction. There is nothing worse than drawing a firearm and having the mag hit the ground because it was inadvertently released for any number of accidental reasons. Rather than bend over and look for the wayward mag, just grab one from the "ready spare". Likewise for any other malfunction caused by a mag.

The second reason I carry a pair of mags on the opposite side is simply to provide some balance on my belt. Having something on both sides also evens out one's stance. It also makes my "cover" hang more evenly when I do cover.

Besides, my pistol came with a total of three mags, why not carry them.;)

amlevin

. When I'm going into a high risk, or high need situation, I have one in my gun, and three on my belt and one in my pocket. I probably have a jacket over my belt, which means the magazines are not necessarily visible.

If I was going into an area that required that much firepower I'd rather carry my AR-15 Carbine and several mags.

Rather than going into "high risk" or "high need" situations why not consider going to a different neighborhood. You don't by chance live in Rainier Valley do you?

1245A Defender

Well Wowwy!!!

i'll say this in a lighthearted way but i can't believe so many supposedly experienced firearm owners are so stupid.

Consider just what a 'magazine' is. It's almost a 'toy'. It's a thin-walled metal device that definitely has a shelf-life after repeated use (must be cleaned of residue, for example) and functions by way of a little spring. Without a magazine, ask yourself, of what used is your firearm? Can you load it manually? If you have a cali-legal firearm, such as the lc9, your firearm will not function without the magazine.

What if your mag malfunctions? What if you lose it - you know, accidentally hit the release while getting out of the car? If you don't have at least one spare magazine you are completely out of luck.

so, consider your milieu, your surroundings, the imminent danger in the places you go regularly and if you think you might need to actually shoot your firearm to save your life, that you should not go out with only the magazine in your firearm. It's the weakest link, to coin a phrase. :)

to sawah:
Your post would be troubling for me, if it wasnt soo stupid, both in style and advice.
Ill tell you this, if i plan to go somewhere that i think i will need to use my gun for defense,
I do not go places where i think ill need to shoot my gun, that would be stupid!
I do go places that i need to go to and these are only places are generally concidered to be safe.
I hope that 15+1 45 acp will be enough fire power to protect me if the unexpected does happen.

i see that english is a second language for you, so i'll type slowly. It's not about firepower. Extra magazines are for specific defensive purposes. You're focusing on the wrong thing. As to the 'high need', i'm talking about the gun range.

Hth

ps - i should include a smiley face. :)

who said i felt a need? If you're open carrying with, say, five magazines, i don't think i'd want to wear them all on my belt. I made that comment off of another person's suggestion that he carries extra mags concealed, which just means covered by a shirt, perhaps. When i'm going into a high risk, or high need situation, i have one in my gun, and three on my belt and one in my pocket. I probably have a jacket over my belt, which means the magazines are not necessarily visible.

Hth

ps - gun nerd=mall ninja, drop holster, bandoliers, >2 mags on belt, cc badge or sash.

...qft...

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...someone expressed that theres no point in carrying extra mags because theyd be "getting outta there as fast as possible"? makes sense in some situations, yes....but doesnt really seem like you're accounting for ANY circumstance that could take place...

Well, I certainly did not put it that way (underlined text emphasized by me.)

So why not carry 300+ rounds on your person? After all, you might get pinned down for an extended period; you might need suppressive fire because cover is not available, etc.

We carry sidearms for self-defense, even though the vast majority of us will never need to draw our weapon. And the case studies show that for that relatively small number of us who must use our firearm, it is again a rare portion of that rare portion that needs more than 2-3 rounds to stop the threat: either from a hit and stopped perp, a fled perp, or an opportunity to be gone ourselves.

I am in no way discouraging anyone from carrying as many rounds as they wish. But the reality is that having a firearm for self-defense is probably 10000x more important than having more than 10 rounds for that firearm.

I would vote personal body armor as more important than a second magazine if you are truly planning for a fight to last that long. And again, I would not discourage either. I simply accept that I sometimes choose to only be prepared for a shorter fight.

Last edited:

r1dramma

Picked up a little kydex dual mag holder the other day to carry a couple of "slightly lower capacity" mags to supplement "really low capacity" HiPoint (y'know, as opposed to "normal capacity" 18 or 19 round mags in most 9mm's:uhoh:). Got all geared up to head out today, then just felt kinda goofy, like the "everyone's staring at you" feeling of going out with a tactical drop-leg or something (not trying to start that debate, I'd just feel weird doing it).

So I'm wondering, who here regularly carries extra mags just for running around town?

I carry an extra mag, and I don't like the tacti_cool look either so this is what I do. I got them I think it was about 3 bucks a TJ maxx!

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk Xparent Blue!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1327854375099.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1327854375099.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 128
  • uploadfromtaptalk1327854443887.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1327854443887.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 126

FMCDH

I carry an extra mag, and I don't like the tacti_cool look either so this is what I do. I got them I think it was about 3 bucks a TJ maxx!

You carry an FN FiveSeven as a EDC, or is that a generic photo from the web?

(at-least, I believe that's a FiveSeven mag)

r1dramma

You carry an FN FiveSeven as a EDC, or is that a generic photo from the web?

(at-least, I believe that's a FiveSeven mag)

Yes sir my 5.7 is my EDC and that's how I carry the extra mag. It isn't a generic web pic.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1327855728260.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1327855728260.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 116

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Geeze who lit the fuse on your tampon today? Bugger off and go find some other thread to derail. My comment was witty and amusing, if you didn't like it you could have simply chosen not to respond. Off with you now, go back to heckling that poor newbie Ruger guy.

If the first midol did not work, take more LOL.