Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 54

Thread: OC Stories From SW VA

  1. #1
    Regular Member Law_Abiding_Citizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cana Va
    Posts
    28

    OC Stories From SW VA

    I didn't see a thread like this, but didn't get all the way through the 105 pages of threads (who would? Lol.) Did a search and it didn't bring back anything like this.

    This thread is for all you OCers to post stories, such as "Bob and I went out to Wal Mart OCing, had a couple of looks from some management but didn't get into any trouble..." Etc. Etc.

    So if you have any and would share, would be nice to get some feedback from other parts of VA while OCing. I just have recently started to OC (due to finally getting my grubby little hands on a holster.) Been out to the gas station several times, down to Mount Airy NC and into a few places, but nothing major to tell about. One guy in Lowe's hardware seemed kinda uneasy while trying to help me locate some PVC pipe for a friend of mines sink. Other than that I was at Wal Mart and had some person (can't remember if it was a guy or woman) with short hair take a picture of me and of my 9 shot .22 pistol strapped to my right hip. I wish I had some sort of telepathy to where I coulda read their mind, just to see what they were thinking in order to take a picture haha.

  2. #2
    Regular Member ocholsteroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia, Hampton Roads, NC 9 miles away
    Posts
    1,317
    a picture of me and of my 9 shot .22 pistol strapped
    Taurus 94/990?

    just to see what they were thinking in order to take a picture
    people of walmart? lol
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 01-29-2012 at 01:38 AM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

  3. #3
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Actually, there are probably close to a dozen main threads on this very thing, they are just broken down by which area of the state. Recommend you find one of them that is closest to you and contribute away!

    TFred

  4. #4
    Regular Member Felix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by Law_Abiding_Citizen View Post
    ...take a picture of me and of my 9 shot .22 pistol strapped to my right hip.
    Do you suppose the primary interest was to document your personal protection caliber choice?
    Daily carry: SIG P229 .40 S&W

  5. #5
    Regular Member Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Do you suppose the primary interest was to document your personal protection caliber choice?

    +1 and Felix I just noticed your carry choice is the P229 .40 this is mine as well. It is by far my favorite handgun of all.
    "Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again"

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Islamabad, Pakistan
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by Law_Abiding_Citizen View Post
    Other than that I was at Wal Mart and had some person (can't remember if it was a guy or woman) with short hair take a picture of me and of my 9 shot .22 pistol strapped to my right hip. I wish I had some sort of telepathy to where I coulda read their mind, just to see what they were thinking in order to take a picture haha.
    Probably going to target you for a gun grab as per the other thread!!!!

  7. #7
    Regular Member Law_Abiding_Citizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cana Va
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    Taurus 94/990?

    people of walmart? lol
    H&R 929.

    What would I be for the people of Wal Mart pictures? Please return to sporting goods? Hahaha.

    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Do you suppose the primary interest was to document your personal protection caliber choice?
    Possibility, I won't rule it out. Just a cheap revolver I got for $100, H&R 929 waiting and saving up for what I really want. .454 revolver, don't care who makes it, just the oomph that thing would have.

    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Actually, there are probably close to a dozen main threads on this very thing, they are just broken down by which area of the state. Recommend you find one of them that is closest to you and contribute away!

    TFred
    Well I searched through about 20 pages and gave up finding one, and by the way, since you did say something about what part. I am in Carroll County, SW VA area.

  8. #8
    Regular Member riverrat10k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    on a rock in the james river
    Posts
    1,453
    Here you go. Some sample threads.

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...Hampton-Roads&

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ynchburg-Area&

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...75d07f5af54104

    You may want to start a thread for your area. Not sure if I have ever seen a regional OC experiences thread for the southwest Va area.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Law_Abiding_Citizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cana Va
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k View Post
    Here you go. Some sample threads.

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...Hampton-Roads&

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ynchburg-Area&

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...75d07f5af54104

    You may want to start a thread for your area. Not sure if I have ever seen a regional OC experiences thread for the southwest Va area.
    Ah thanks for the links, I hate wading through 100 pages of stuff with slow internet. -_- Isn't as bad as dial up but awefully close.

    Well spent $70 at the gas station, truck and car both with $30 each in em, only thing is the truck is filled up but the car ain't even on half a tank haha. The gas station clerk asked me if it was legal to carry like I was, told him what I know of it and the next time I went in today he called me Wyatt Earp, made me feel pretty good lmao. But do get a little bit of notice now that I carry it towards the front instead of on the side of my hip. It just feels so great to be able to carry a firearm around all the time.

  10. #10
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845

    Pistol of Choice?

    Welcome to OCDO, LAC.

    I'm quite sure there are several others that are quite curious about your choice of carry pistols, but have decided not to comment for their own reasons. I'm just an old grumpy guy that tries to do the right thing whenever possible. You're currently carrying a .22 revolver. Are you an assassin by any chance? Got a can screwed on the front of that puppy? carrying a .22 for personal protection isn't the smartest choice, but if its all you have, then by all means, do what ya gotta do! As one gun writer said: "The first rule to gunfighting is to have a gun." It is better to have something than nothing at all.

    You said you were saving for a .454? You plan to carry that hogleg around with you? Do you also reload and have a special personal defense load for that beast? Its awful expensive to feed it "store-bought food", but if you "roll your own", you may be better off. How much experience do you have shooting a .454? Do you plan to hunt with it, too? Scope or no scope?

    Your choices really interest me. I bet my fellow readers would love to hear about your past experiences with these two pistols.
    I know I would!
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

  11. #11
    Regular Member ocholsteroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia, Hampton Roads, NC 9 miles away
    Posts
    1,317
    You're currently carrying a .22 revolver. Are you an assassin by any chance?
    LMAO, an assassin? lol!!!!!! LOL...

    really want. .454 revolver, don't care who makes it
    I bet my fellow readers would love to hear about your past experiences with these two pistols.
    I know I would!
    lol again, 454, wow... Worried about a car coming at you and need to shoot the car engine?

    I am curious to the 454, why not a 500S&W or .460, theres others , 44 mag/41 mag
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 01-29-2012 at 09:44 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

  12. #12
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  13. #13
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    i do say we need a thread for southwest VA. i have a few stories that i would like to pos t but didn't have anywhere to post them
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  14. #14
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by MSC 45ACP View Post
    Welcome to OCDO, LAC.

    I'm quite sure there are several others that are quite curious about your choice of carry pistols, but have decided not to comment for their own reasons. I'm just an old grumpy guy that tries to do the right thing whenever possible. You're currently carrying a .22 revolver. Are you an assassin by any chance? Got a can screwed on the front of that puppy? carrying a .22 for personal protection isn't the smartest choice, but if its all you have, then by all means, do what ya gotta do! As one gun writer said: "The first rule to gunfighting is to have a gun." It is better to have something than nothing at all.

    You said you were saving for a .454? You plan to carry that hogleg around with you? Do you also reload and have a special personal defense load for that beast? Its awful expensive to feed it "store-bought food", but if you "roll your own", you may be better off. How much experience do you have shooting a .454? Do you plan to hunt with it, too? Scope or no scope?

    Your choices really interest me. I bet my fellow readers would love to hear about your past experiences with these two pistols.
    I know I would!
    Remember Naps Motto Msc:


  15. #15
    Regular Member ocholsteroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia, Hampton Roads, NC 9 miles away
    Posts
    1,317


    The 44 would be cheaper.
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 01-30-2012 at 12:16 AM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

  16. #16
    Regular Member ocholsteroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia, Hampton Roads, NC 9 miles away
    Posts
    1,317
    I didn't see a thread like this, but didn't get all the way through the 105 pages of threads (who would? Lol.) Did a search and it didn't bring back anything like this.

    Most of the stories are in the open carry area x

    I guess what you are saying, people post their OC stories in this one big folder so they don't have to look for them?

    Stories as in with cops or just people?
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 01-30-2012 at 12:34 AM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

  17. #17
    Regular Member Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    307
    Last edited by Jay; 01-30-2012 at 08:40 AM.
    "Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again"

  18. #18
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Suggestion

    Here's a suggestion for the Original Poster...

    On your original post, click the little triangle on the bar at the bottom of the post. That opens up a window where you can "report" the post to the moderators. Ask them to rename the thread to "Open Carry in Southwest Virginia". Voila, now you have an OC thread for SW Virginia.

    Problem solved.

    TFred

  19. #19
    Regular Member Law_Abiding_Citizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cana Va
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by MSC 45ACP View Post
    Welcome to OCDO, LAC.

    I'm quite sure there are several others that are quite curious about your choice of carry pistols, but have decided not to comment for their own reasons. I'm just an old grumpy guy that tries to do the right thing whenever possible. You're currently carrying a .22 revolver. Are you an assassin by any chance? Got a can screwed on the front of that puppy? carrying a .22 for personal protection isn't the smartest choice, but if its all you have, then by all means, do what ya gotta do! As one gun writer said: "The first rule to gunfighting is to have a gun." It is better to have something than nothing at all.

    You said you were saving for a .454? You plan to carry that hogleg around with you? Do you also reload and have a special personal defense load for that beast? Its awful expensive to feed it "store-bought food", but if you "roll your own", you may be better off. How much experience do you have shooting a .454? Do you plan to hunt with it, too? Scope or no scope?

    Your choices really interest me. I bet my fellow readers would love to hear about your past experiences with these two pistols.
    I know I would!
    The .22 is all I have at the moment, I used to own a Hi Point .45 but I prefer hammers on my pistols, much more in control of them that way than the non-hammer style. As for the .454, just always appealed to me moreso than say a .50 DE or a .500S&W plus the .454 is a bit cheaper if you go with Taurus, S&W make good firearms, but they are expensive, moreso than other brands, apart from Browning from what I have gathered. It's either between the .454 or .45LC. I have been more of a revolver man than a semi auto. If/when I get the .454, you damn right I am gonna load my own, I know how expensive the ammo for it is, but it will be worth it when someone else calls me Wyatt Earp lol. I do plan to no scope it, and I do plan on hunting, would love to take off and go bear hunting with only the .454 and my cleaver. Dunno if that is smart or stupid but you can't help what you want to go do and what you don't want to do.

    As far as experience with a .454, I have none, but I do have some experience in shooting larger calibers. I have shot a .500 S&W, .45 both ACP and LC, .50 DE, .357, and .44 I also have a Mosin Nagant Tula made 1936, 7.62x54 I can shoot one handed with my weak hand, if I can shoot that thing and those other calibers, I have no doubt I can handle a .454 not meaning to underestimate it if that is what it seems I am doing, I ain't I just have some confidence in myself maybe too much lol. And for my experience with .22 calibers...wow, I don't really know how much I can type here hahaha, I've been shooting since I was prolly around 6-7 years old, I am now 26, so for around 20 years, started with a .22 and a 12 gauge then moved up with all the different calibers my cousin and uncles had/have..the funnest I would have to say is arching shots into a tree stump from a .25 auto, and I do mean arching, don't remember what brand ammo my cousin had for it. But from about 30 paces, you had to aim at about a 30 degree angle to get the thing to hit the stump. Majority of my family is or has been in the military, brother, uncle and cousin was over in Iraq at the same time, brother brought me back an AK47 bayonet, uncle brought me back some booze, cousin tried to locate a FAMAS for me but to no avail lol.

    Ocholsteroc, yeah prolly cause they don't wanna look for em, I went through around 20 pages and gave up while I still had the thoughts on my mind and made this thread. OC it don't matter, involving LEOs or not. Just like if anyone seemed to notice or seemed to be skittish after seeing OC. Or just anything funny that happened.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Plummer Id
    Posts
    67
    I also have a .22Cal 9 shot revolver that i will be carrying this spring after it warms up, If i ever have to put a BG down i can sure do it with my .22Cal,

  21. #21
    Regular Member Law_Abiding_Citizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cana Va
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Gardner View Post
    I also have a .22Cal 9 shot revolver that i will be carrying this spring after it warms up, If i ever have to put a BG down i can sure do it with my .22Cal,
    Yeah a .22 will put someone down, just depends on where you hit them. Not saying anyone on this forum is ignorant or anything, please don't take it as I am talking about people here...But a lot of people look down on a .22, yeah it might not be able to penetrate bone, but once it hits a bone after penetrating into say the chest cavity...it will bounce around and has a posibility of doing more damage than a .500 would....possibly


    OCed today to haul off some scrap for a buddy, nothing to report about at the scrap places in Mount Airy NC. D&Js is awesome!
    Last edited by Law_Abiding_Citizen; 01-30-2012 at 12:20 PM.
    Oh my God, please help me, knee deep in the river tryin to get clean, he says wash your hands, get out the stains, but you best believe, boy, there's hell to pay, yeah you best believe, boy, there's hell to pay!

  22. #22
    Regular Member Law_Abiding_Citizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cana Va
    Posts
    28
    Thread sorta died out a bit lol. Nothing new from the Cana area about OCing, nothing to report in Mt Airy NC either. Started a group on Facebook for hauling peoples trash off, wonder how they would react to someone coming up to take away their trash with a gun strapped to his side? Oh wait...there is something I can say, in Winston-Salem I got noticed by a couple of guys, my buddy who will remain nameless at the moment, and I went to buy him a bike down in Winston-Salem. Got there and he test drove the bike to make sure there weren't any surprises, while he was out one of the gentlemen that was selling the bike had bummed a cigarette off of me, while I was handing him a smoke, his buddy had asked me how I hadn't gotten into any trouble yet with the pistol being openly visible. I told him about how VA as well as NC has OC without permit, he nor his buddy knew this. So I feel I sorta of educated (I guess that's the right word to use) them a little bit about it, we talked for about five to ten minutes (can't go into too much detail about it in that short of a time) til my buddy got back with the bike. Maybe there will be two others to join the OC guys and gals already out there carrying.

    Oh and by the way, thank you for changing the name of the thread Admin. (If you are even skimming over this thread. Just wanted to say thanks here on it, sorry I didn't before now.)
    Last edited by Law_Abiding_Citizen; 02-06-2012 at 03:30 AM.
    Oh my God, please help me, knee deep in the river tryin to get clean, he says wash your hands, get out the stains, but you best believe, boy, there's hell to pay, yeah you best believe, boy, there's hell to pay!

  23. #23
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by Law_Abiding_Citizen View Post
    Yeah a .22 will put someone down, just depends on where you hit them. Not saying anyone on this forum is ignorant or anything, please don't take it as I am talking about people here...But a lot of people look down on a .22, yeah it might not be able to penetrate bone, but once it hits a bone after penetrating into say the chest cavity...it will bounce around and has a posibility of doing more damage than a .500 would....possibly


    OCed today to haul off some scrap for a buddy, nothing to report about at the scrap places in Mount Airy NC. D&Js is awesome!
    Welcome aboard. If I may make a few suggestions as to your choice of carry caliber. With all due respect, you would not be serving yourself well with either a .22 or a .454 Magnum as a carry defensive firearm. Both make very good hunting calibers for their perspective game, but neither make very good defensive calibers against the two-legged varmints. For your own safety and future well-being, please don't delude yourself into thinking a .22 is going to do the job in an extreme encounter. You are already at somewhat of a disadvantage with a handgun, when compared to a long gun, so why make things even more strained by using a .22 instead of a far better choice of caliber?

    I know you mentioned that for now that is all you have and that's fine. But do consider that when the time comes to upgrade to a better handgun load, get something that has a decent track record and will stop the fray before you suffer the hurt and pain of an enraged attacker who you just shot with a .22 instead of something more serious.

    We want you to go home each night safe and in one piece and of course, we hope you never have to pull your gun in defense of yourself or someone else. But if it ever comes to that, we also want YOU to be the one to walk out of it unscathed and whole.

    Just a thought and again, welcome to OCDO.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  24. #24
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Welcome aboard. If I may make a few suggestions as to your choice of carry caliber. With all due respect, you would not be serving yourself well with either a .22 or a .454 Magnum as a carry defensive firearm. Both make very good hunting calibers for their perspective game, but neither make very good defensive calibers against the two-legged varmints. For your own safety and future well-being, please don't delude yourself into thinking a .22 is going to do the job in an extreme encounter. You are already at somewhat of a disadvantage with a handgun, when compared to a long gun, so why make things even more strained by using a .22 instead of a far better choice of caliber?

    I know you mentioned that for now that is all you have and that's fine. But do consider that when the time comes to upgrade to a better handgun load, get something that has a decent track record and will stop the fray before you suffer the hurt and pain of an enraged attacker who you just shot with a .22 instead of something more serious.

    We want you to go home each night safe and in one piece and of course, we hope you never have to pull your gun in defense of yourself or someone else. But if it ever comes to that, we also want YOU to be the one to walk out of it unscathed and whole.

    Just a thought and again, welcome to OCDO.
    I only partly agree with that SB.
    The 22 isn't my first choice in a walking around gun but it wouldn't be my last either. Remember, he's up in Gods Country and things are a little different.
    The 22 LR has been the working round of country people since it was invented.

    The 454 is fine in a good double action revolver. It's nothing but a hot loaded 45colt and that holds the title as the proven manstopper.
    The bulk may get to be an issue but if he's willing to put up with it (I'm not and that's why I carry a 44 Mag) he will be well armed for whateve life throws at him.

  25. #25
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Here's a suggestion for the Original Poster...

    On your original post, click the little triangle on the bar at the bottom of the post. That opens up a window where you can "report" the post to the moderators. Ask them to rename the thread to "Open Carry in Southwest Virginia". Voila, now you have an OC thread for SW Virginia.

    Problem solved.

    TFred
    That has been done.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •