• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Stories From SW VA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Law_Abiding_Citizen

I didn't see a thread like this, but didn't get all the way through the 105 pages of threads (who would? Lol.) Did a search and it didn't bring back anything like this.

This thread is for all you OCers to post stories, such as "Bob and I went out to Wal Mart OCing, had a couple of looks from some management but didn't get into any trouble..." Etc. Etc.

So if you have any and would share, would be nice to get some feedback from other parts of VA while OCing. I just have recently started to OC (due to finally getting my grubby little hands on a holster.) Been out to the gas station several times, down to Mount Airy NC and into a few places, but nothing major to tell about. One guy in Lowe's hardware seemed kinda uneasy while trying to help me locate some PVC pipe for a friend of mines sink. Other than that I was at Wal Mart and had some person (can't remember if it was a guy or woman) with short hair take a picture of me and of my 9 shot .22 pistol strapped to my right hip. I wish I had some sort of telepathy to where I coulda read their mind, just to see what they were thinking in order to take a picture haha.

TFred

Actually, there are probably close to a dozen main threads on this very thing, they are just broken down by which area of the state. Recommend you find one of them that is closest to you and contribute away!

TFred

Jay

Do you suppose the primary interest was to document your personal protection caliber choice? :uhoh:

+1 and Felix I just noticed your carry choice is the P229 .40 this is mine as well. It is by far my favorite handgun of all.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
Other than that I was at Wal Mart and had some person (can't remember if it was a guy or woman) with short hair take a picture of me and of my 9 shot .22 pistol strapped to my right hip. I wish I had some sort of telepathy to where I coulda read their mind, just to see what they were thinking in order to take a picture haha.

Probably going to target you for a gun grab as per the other thread!!!!

Law_Abiding_Citizen

Taurus 94/990?

people of walmart? lol

H&R 929.

What would I be for the people of Wal Mart pictures? Please return to sporting goods? Hahaha.

Do you suppose the primary interest was to document your personal protection caliber choice? :uhoh:

Possibility, I won't rule it out. Just a cheap revolver I got for $100, H&R 929 waiting and saving up for what I really want. .454 revolver, don't care who makes it, just the oomph that thing would have.

Actually, there are probably close to a dozen main threads on this very thing, they are just broken down by which area of the state. Recommend you find one of them that is closest to you and contribute away!

TFred

Well I searched through about 20 pages and gave up finding one, and by the way, since you did say something about what part. I am in Carroll County, SW VA area.

riverrat10k

Law_Abiding_Citizen

Ah thanks for the links, I hate wading through 100 pages of stuff with slow internet. -_- Isn't as bad as dial up but awefully close.

Well spent $70 at the gas station, truck and car both with $30 each in em, only thing is the truck is filled up but the car ain't even on half a tank haha. The gas station clerk asked me if it was legal to carry like I was, told him what I know of it and the next time I went in today he called me Wyatt Earp, made me feel pretty good lmao. But do get a little bit of notice now that I carry it towards the front instead of on the side of my hip. It just feels so great to be able to carry a firearm around all the time.

MSC 45ACP

Pistol of Choice?

Welcome to OCDO, LAC.

I'm quite sure there are several others that are quite curious about your choice of carry pistols, but have decided not to comment for their own reasons. I'm just an old grumpy guy that tries to do the right thing whenever possible. You're currently carrying a .22 revolver. Are you an assassin by any chance? Got a can screwed on the front of that puppy? carrying a .22 for personal protection isn't the smartest choice, but if its all you have, then by all means, do what ya gotta do! As one gun writer said: "The first rule to gunfighting is to have a gun." It is better to have something than nothing at all.

You said you were saving for a .454? You plan to carry that hogleg around with you? Do you also reload and have a special personal defense load for that beast? Its awful expensive to feed it "store-bought food", but if you "roll your own", you may be better off. How much experience do you have shooting a .454? Do you plan to hunt with it, too? Scope or no scope?

Your choices really interest me. I bet my fellow readers would love to hear about your past experiences with these two pistols.
I know I would!

ocholsteroc

You're currently carrying a .22 revolver. Are you an assassin by any chance?

LMAO, an assassin? lol!!!!!! LOL...

really want. .454 revolver, don't care who makes it

I bet my fellow readers would love to hear about your past experiences with these two pistols.
I know I would!

lol again, 454, wow... Worried about a car coming at you and need to shoot the car engine?

I am curious to the 454, why not a 500S&W or .460, theres others , 44 mag/41 mag

Last edited:

papa bear

50nrovolver.jpg

papa bear

i do say we need a thread for southwest VA. i have a few stories that i would like to pos t but didn't have anywhere to post them

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Welcome to OCDO, LAC.

I'm quite sure there are several others that are quite curious about your choice of carry pistols, but have decided not to comment for their own reasons. I'm just an old grumpy guy that tries to do the right thing whenever possible. You're currently carrying a .22 revolver. Are you an assassin by any chance? Got a can screwed on the front of that puppy? carrying a .22 for personal protection isn't the smartest choice, but if its all you have, then by all means, do what ya gotta do! As one gun writer said: "The first rule to gunfighting is to have a gun." It is better to have something than nothing at all.

You said you were saving for a .454? You plan to carry that hogleg around with you? Do you also reload and have a special personal defense load for that beast? Its awful expensive to feed it "store-bought food", but if you "roll your own", you may be better off. How much experience do you have shooting a .454? Do you plan to hunt with it, too? Scope or no scope?

Your choices really interest me. I bet my fellow readers would love to hear about your past experiences with these two pistols.
I know I would!

Remember Naps Motto Msc:

bg-2.gif

ocholsteroc

I didn't see a thread like this, but didn't get all the way through the 105 pages of threads (who would? Lol.) Did a search and it didn't bring back anything like this.

Most of the stories are in the open carry area x

I guess what you are saying, people post their OC stories in this one big folder so they don't have to look for them?

Stories as in with cops or just people?

Last edited:

TFred

Suggestion

Here's a suggestion for the Original Poster...

On your original post, click the little triangle on the bar at the bottom of the post. That opens up a window where you can "report" the post to the moderators. Ask them to rename the thread to "Open Carry in Southwest Virginia". Voila, now you have an OC thread for SW Virginia.

Problem solved.

TFred

Law_Abiding_Citizen

Welcome to OCDO, LAC.

I know I would!

The .22 is all I have at the moment, I used to own a Hi Point .45 but I prefer hammers on my pistols, much more in control of them that way than the non-hammer style. As for the .454, just always appealed to me moreso than say a .50 DE or a .500S&W plus the .454 is a bit cheaper if you go with Taurus, S&W make good firearms, but they are expensive, moreso than other brands, apart from Browning from what I have gathered. It's either between the .454 or .45LC. I have been more of a revolver man than a semi auto. If/when I get the .454, you damn right I am gonna load my own, I know how expensive the ammo for it is, but it will be worth it when someone else calls me Wyatt Earp lol. I do plan to no scope it, and I do plan on hunting, would love to take off and go bear hunting with only the .454 and my cleaver. Dunno if that is smart or stupid but you can't help what you want to go do and what you don't want to do.

As far as experience with a .454, I have none, but I do have some experience in shooting larger calibers. I have shot a .500 S&W, .45 both ACP and LC, .50 DE, .357, and .44 I also have a Mosin Nagant Tula made 1936, 7.62x54 I can shoot one handed with my weak hand, if I can shoot that thing and those other calibers, I have no doubt I can handle a .454 not meaning to underestimate it if that is what it seems I am doing, I ain't I just have some confidence in myself maybe too much lol. And for my experience with .22 calibers...wow, I don't really know how much I can type here hahaha, I've been shooting since I was prolly around 6-7 years old, I am now 26, so for around 20 years, started with a .22 and a 12 gauge then moved up with all the different calibers my cousin and uncles had/have..the funnest I would have to say is arching shots into a tree stump from a .25 auto, and I do mean arching, don't remember what brand ammo my cousin had for it. But from about 30 paces, you had to aim at about a 30 degree angle to get the thing to hit the stump. Majority of my family is or has been in the military, brother, uncle and cousin was over in Iraq at the same time, brother brought me back an AK47 bayonet, uncle brought me back some booze, cousin tried to locate a FAMAS for me but to no avail lol.

Ocholsteroc, yeah prolly cause they don't wanna look for em, I went through around 20 pages and gave up while I still had the thoughts on my mind and made this thread. OC it don't matter, involving LEOs or not. Just like if anyone seemed to notice or seemed to be skittish after seeing OC. Or just anything funny that happened.

Pat Gardner

I also have a .22Cal 9 shot revolver that i will be carrying this spring after it warms up, If i ever have to put a BG down i can sure do it with my .22Cal,

Status
Not open for further replies.