Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Yep. Another one of them polls.

Yep. Another one of them polls.

No need to post how you feel about the nature of marriage, here, except perhaps to keep this thread going. Just vote.

Thanks.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Personally, I think that it is wrong..... but what is it any of my (or the governments) business. If you, as a guy, want to be in a sexual relationship with another, consenting adult, guy (or girl on girl) then it isn't hurting me at all. They shouldn't have to "legalize" gay marriage and it is troubling me that our government even thinks it should have that right.

Marriage period isn't a right, but if the government is going to recognize heterosexual marriage, then it also needs to recognize homosexual marriage.
    Last edited by Jack House; 01-30-2012 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    Marriage period isn't a right,...
    Not much on freedom of association and free markets eh?
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    Not much on freedom of association and free markets eh?
    Unless I am mistaken, the issue with gay marriage is not that they will be arrested for getting married, but that the governments will not recognize their marriage. Without that recognition, marriage is nothing more than symbolic gesture written out on a piece of paper. This is what I refer to.

I could be wrong, though. But that doesn't change my stance that it is inappropriate for governments to recognize one marriage but not another.

Unless I am mistaken, the issue with gay marriage is not that they will be arrested for getting married, but that the governments will not recognize their marriage. Without that recognition, marriage is nothing more than symbolic gesture written out on a piece of paper. This is what I refer to.

I could be wrong, though. But that doesn't change my stance that it is inappropriate for governments to recognize one marriage but not another.
    ah, seems I was mistaken.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    I voted "not sure" because there wasn't an option to "keep the government the hell out of marriage". Marriage should be up to the individual. Have it in church, make a contract or don't make a contract, I don't care. Furthermore, I don't think the government should give out any special privileges to those who are married.
    Last edited by Brass Magnet; 01-30-2012 at 04:50 PM.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    I voted "not sure" because there wasn't an option to "keep the government the hell out of marriage". Marriage should be up to the individual. Have it in church, make a contract or don't make a contract, I don't care. Furthermore, I don't think the government should give out any special privileges to those who are married.
    Likewise.
    Last edited by georg jetson; 01-30-2012 at 05:23 PM.

I agree wholeheartedly. Maybe the government should issue a "Certificate of Marriage" after the wedding instead of a "Marriage License" before the wedding.
    Last edited by rodbender; 01-30-2012 at 06:40 PM.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

But penalties are ok right?

Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    But penalties are ok right?
    Uhm.....no.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Uhm.....no.
    Sorry, forgot my sarcasm tag.

Lawyers love this issue.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Personal opinion: There are two kinds of marriage. One is the religious ceremony and should be none of the government's business unless the two parties want to get a license. The other is a civil contract between two consenting adults and should be without regard to gender.

The civil contract should never be constrained by the religious definition of "marriage".

The religious ceremony should be up to the particular sect as to whether it can be a same-sex union.

That said, all an employer or insurer should be required to recognize is the civil contract or the religious ceremony if done with the government license.

Wow, really? I had no idea the tendrils of political correctness had so thoroughly infected OCDO.

So much for the United States of America and the principles upon which she was founded. Crap, if you people can't get the basics right, there's no hope of preserving our right to keep and bear arms.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Wow, really? I had no idea the tendrils of political correctness had so thoroughly infected OCDO.

So much for the United States of America and the principles upon which she was founded. Crap, if you people can't get the basics right, there's no hope of preserving our right to keep and bear arms.
    Agreed.
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.
    If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
    Find businesses that are pro gun and those that aren't. Support Friend or Foe by using it!

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post

You mean equality and freedom? I'm probably the least politically correct person here.

You mean equality and freedom? I'm probably the least politically correct person here.
    I'm confused as well. I certainly don't base my stance on political correctness.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Equality and freedoms are for people. Not preferences. It's in their jeans and not their genes. It's a perversion and they need to get back in the closet or clean it. Want to do that kind of crap? Don't do it in public. Sorry, I don't do PC. Must not be "enlightened".

Activist Member
    I agree with those who say the government should not be involved at all in relationships and should not provide benefits to married people. And I also agree with Jack. If the government recognizes one, they should recognize the other.

Equality and freedoms are for people. Not preferences. It's in their jeans and not their genes. It's a perversion and they need to get back in the closet or clean it. Want to do that kind of crap? Don't do it in public. Sorry, I don't do PC. Must not be "enlightened".
    Freedom isn't about preferences? What about the preference to open carry? Should we keep guns hidden because they disturb some people?
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 02-02-2012 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    You're absolutely right. What was I thinking?

You know, we should declare Christianity as the national religion and pass a law that requires all citizens to attend church services atleast once a week. While we're at it, let's also outlaw all other religions.

Afterall, the freedom of religion only applies to you if your religion is Christianity, amirite? I mean, that is what I am getting from you and Since9.
    Last edited by Jack House; 02-02-2012 at 06:53 PM.

You're absolutely right. What was I thinking?

You know, we should declare Christianity as the national religion and pass a law that requires all citizens to attend church services atleast once a week. While we're at it, let's also outlaw all other religions.

Afterall, the freedom of religion only applies to you if your religion is Christianity, amirite? I mean, that is what I am getting from you and Since9.
    Well, yea. You cannot just not trust the government, like the founders, and think that they should stay out of everything that they don't NEED to be in. Nope, If you have the same views as you and I then you are supporting gays, you're not limiting the rights of the government.

And you do know that homosexuality is everything wrong with our country don't you? Its not the lack of responsibility that everything portrays anymore, its not a super intrusive government, its not the lack of learning or discipline. It is two males having a loving relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Not much on freedom and free will eh? You are part of why Obama and his type win, petty tyrants can only help big tyrants, even if they try to oppose the big ones.

Washington State just passed through the House a equal marriage bill. Apparently the Senate will be much easier, and the Government is set to sign it. Obviously regarding this issue people here know where I stand.

Call it Preference, call it Choice, call it whatever a person chooses to call it, all Americans that are over the age of eighteen and have the capacity to understand what marriage is should be allowed to be married. Regarding marriage in a church, I am not sure what Gay person would be interested in marrying in a church but the church should not be required to marry any couple, including for racial or any other reason.

Now that I am typing this I should state that my partner and me have been together for fourteen years, and we have four children shared between us legally. The negative effect not being permitted to be married is huge. If, outside of Washington State, we were on a trip and were in a car accident, neither of us would be recognized as the spouse and could not make medical decisions. I have heard it before, "there are legal documents that you can draw up for things like that," yes, there are but unlike legal marriage, those documents can be disputed and thrown out, and they have been disputed and throw out.

Anyhoo.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

As for it being a "choice": As you can see from my screen name and the picture I added, I was a soldier. In fact, I was a soldier for well over twenty-one years in the Regular Army, Alabama National Guard, and Active Reserve. I've been a Platoon Sergeant and an Acting First Sergeant.

I knew my people. I also knew which ones were straight and which ones were gay/lesbian/bi. I talked to them and I asked many of them the same question, "Why are you the way you are?" Not one could give me an answer because they did not know. They did know that they did not choose to be the way they were.

And, yes, my soldiers talked to me for the very simple reason that I did not sit in judgment on them because of their sexuality. In fact, those soldiers were some of my better soldiers. All I ever asked of them was that they keep their private lives just that: Private. I asked the same thing of my straight soldiers.

Yes, I'd serve with them again in a heartbeat.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast