Thread: Stand Your Ground legislation, get on this!

Exclamation Stand Your Ground legislation, get on this!

http://capwiz.com/iowacarry/issues/a...ertid=60856206

House File 573 would remove a person’s “duty to retreat” from an attacker, allowing law-abiding citizens to stand their ground and protect themselves or their family anywhere they are lawfully present. It would create a presumption that an individual who unlawfully or forcefully enters your dwelling, place of business or employment, or occupied vehicle is there to cause serious bodily injury or death, so the occupant may use force, including deadly force, against that person. HF 573 also would expressly allow an individual to use force, including deadly force, to prevent a violent felony, and it would enhance the protections against criminal prosecution and civil lawsuits when justifiable force is used.

Iowa Firearms Coalition and the NRA have worked hard with Rep. Matt Windschitl (R-56) on putting together crafting solid self-defense legislation for Iowans. Please help provide the backing we need by taking time to e-mail and call your representatives!

Here's is a form to email your legislator.

Quote Originally Posted by amaixner View Post
    Please help provide the backing we need by taking time to e-mail and call your representatives!
    Done.

Thank you for the link - I, too emailed my representative.

The definition includes burglary, which Rep. Mary Wolfe, D-Clinton, found puzzling. “So I can blow away someone who’s in my garage going through a toolbox?” she asked. “Burglary is usually not violent.”
    Sounds like she's got a late night hobby and wants to make sure she won't get shot in the act. BTW, that link above no longer works, but I did send out numerous emails expressing my support.

Quote was taken from http://thegazette.com/2011/03/02/iow...round-measure/

Just a note, the senate democrats decided to kill this by preventing it from leaving committee. It's effectively dead for the session.