Thread: Americans Certify Second Amendment, Divided Over Gun Laws. AngusReid Opinion Poll

Herr Heckler Koch

Americans Certify Second Amendment, Divided Over Gun Laws. AngusReid Opinion Poll

http://www.angus-reid.com/wp-content...5_Guns_USA.pdf 6 pages 200 KB 25 Jan 2012

From John r. Lott, Jr. http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/

59% of Americans support either a right-to-carry law (51%) or a "Vermont" style rule (8%) that doesn't require a permit. Even 50% of Democrats and 50% of non-gun owners fall in this category.

Wow, only 8% in U.S.A. believe in what 2A actually means. The road is long and narrow with a wall on one side and a long drop off on the other.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    I wish they'd stop asking about "semi-automatics". Nobody knows what it means.

There's no way "[s]even-in-ten Americans hold no reservations about people who are eligible to own firearms having access to handguns (73%)", and yet "only three-in-ten respondents (30%) feel the same way about semi-automatic weapons".

People don't think about the single-action revolver when they think "handgun". They think Glock, Beretta, 1911. All semi-autos.

And yet, all of a sudden they balk when asked about semi-automatics. Conclusion: most people think "semi-automatic" means "fully-automatic". And, in a way, who can blame them? "Semi-automatic" is a somewhat obscure result of the evolution of gun technology, referencing how a gun works more than what it does (a revolver is double-action and a pistol is semi-automatic, though as far as the user is concerned the effect is essentially the same).

I did a quick test with my mother over chat (she's largely pro-gun but she isn't experienced with guns), and my speculation was tentatively/anecdotally supported.
    Last edited by marshaul; 01-30-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rodbender View Post
    Wow, only 8% in U.S.A. believe in what 2A actually means.
    I wouldn't go that far. Many people believe things like we have a "right" to drive, after we get a license. Others accept that we have a "right" to publicly assemble, after we obtain a permit.

People have become accustomed to government requiring permission, even when rights are invoked.

That they believe the right protects the individual right to keep and bear arms is significant. While they may not be ready to vote for elimination of carry licensure, they are likely to be annoyed by "may-issue" licensure.

Most folks are still ok with the notion of rights being licensed, so long as the licenses are granted to all who qualify.

I may disagree with "most folks" in this regard, but ultimately the issue has nothing to do with guns, and fundamentally has to do with Americans' general attitudes to licensure vis--vis right.
    Last edited by marshaul; 01-30-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Yep all through years of brainwashing and other forms of propaganda. In short we have all allowed it to happen.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info