• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Americans Certify Second Amendment, Divided Over Gun Laws. AngusReid Opinion Poll

rodbender

Wow, only 8% in U.S.A. believe in what 2A actually means. The road is long and narrow with a wall on one side and a long drop off on the other.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

I wish they'd stop asking about "semi-automatics". Nobody knows what it means.

There's no way "even-in-ten Americans hold no reservations about people who are eligible to own firearms having access to handguns (73%)", and yet "only three-in-ten respondents (30%) feel the same way about semi-automatic weapons".

People don't think about the single-action revolver when they think "handgun". They think Glock, Beretta, 1911. All semi-autos.

And yet, all of a sudden they balk when asked about semi-automatics. Conclusion: most people think "semi-automatic" means "fully-automatic". And, in a way, who can blame them? "Semi-automatic" is a somewhat obscure result of the evolution of gun technology, referencing how a gun works more than what it does (a revolver is double-action and a pistol is semi-automatic, though as far as the user is concerned the effect is essentially the same).

I did a quick test with my mother over chat (she's largely pro-gun but she isn't experienced with guns), and my speculation was tentatively/anecdotally supported.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Wow, only 8% in U.S.A. believe in what 2A actually means.

I wouldn't go that far. Many people believe things like we have a "right" to drive, after we get a license. Others accept that we have a "right" to publicly assemble, after we obtain a permit.

People have become accustomed to government requiring permission, even when rights are invoked.

That they believe the right protects the individual right to keep and bear arms is significant. While they may not be ready to vote for elimination of carry licensure, they are likely to be annoyed by "may-issue" licensure.

Most folks are still ok with the notion of rights being licensed, so long as the licenses are granted to all who qualify.

I may disagree with "most folks" in this regard, but ultimately the issue has nothing to do with guns, and fundamentally has to do with Americans' general attitudes to licensure vis-à-vis right.

Last edited: