Thread: TheSenate is zipping through last weeks bills

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

TheSenate is zipping through last weeks bills

So far no discussion and the votes are the same.
    Last edited by peter nap; 01-30-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Thanks for the early update!
    Daily carry: SIG P229 .40 S&W

Anything more, Peter?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob1 View Post
    Anything more, Peter?
    Yeah, it was long session after that but it's over now. I didn't eat again and went bye bye for a few hours after

I'm uploading the audio now.

Gotta get back to pushing paper but I'll drop by later to see what happened.

Audio is up. Nothing from last week changed.
    There was a LOT of discussion about the Juvenile Bill and they didn't finish the full docket.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Audio is up. Nothing from last week changed.
    There was a LOT of discussion about the Juvenile Bill and they didn't finish the full docket.

D, Thanks for all your hard work....

I really appreciate getting the scoop from a reliable source as I can't be there myself.

~Marco
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

The following bills also were reconsidered by the Senate Courts of Justice Committee:

Senate Bill 4 and Senate Bill 64 were rolled together - using the bill number of the former - and will most likely remain the same. SB 4, sponsored by state Senator Richard Stuart (R-28), and SB 64, sponsored by state Senator Bill Stanley (R-20), would codify a version of the "Castle Doctrine" allowing the use of physical force, including deadly force, by a person in his dwelling against an intruder in the dwelling who has committed an overt act against him or another person in the dwelling, without civil liability. SB 4 passed by an 8 to 7 vote.

Senate Bill 67, sponsored by state Senator Bill Stanley (R-20), would remove the option for a locality to require an applicant for a concealed handgun permit to submit fingerprints with the application. Senate Bill 670 was rolled into this legislation. SB 67 was passed by a 9 to 6 vote.

Anti-gun legislation noted previously, state Senator Don McEachin’s (D-9) legislation to close the so-called “gun-show loophole,” will be taken up in committee this Wednesday. Senate Bill 379 would create a Class 2 misdemeanor for a person who is not a licensed dealer to sell, rent, trade, or transfer a firearm to any other person who is not a licensed dealer. This bill also would create a Class 2 misdemeanor for a person who is not a licensed dealer to buy, rent, trade, or transfer a firearm from any other person who is not a licensed dealer.

Senate Bill 379 will be brought up again this Wednesday. Sponsored by state Senator Don McEachin (D-9), SB 379 is a new attempt to prohibit the private of transfer of firearms by creating a Class 2 misdemeanor for any person who sells a firearm to someone other than a licensed dealer and for any person who buys a firearm from someone other than a licensed dealer.

Senate Bill 429 was passed by a 13 to 1 vote. Sponsored by state Senator Frank Ruff (R-15), SB 429 would provide that the form provided by the State Police to be completed upon the sale of a firearm shall contain only the questions specific to Virginia law. The bill also provides that a copy of the consent form required under federal law for the purposes of running a criminal history record information check upon the purchase of a firearm shall be sent to the State Police by the dealer.

Senate Bill 435, sponsored by state Senator Ryan McDougle (R-4), would provide that any person who knowingly makes a materially false statement on criminal history background check forms required for the purchase and transfer of firearms is guilty of a Class 5 felony. Current law uses the standard "willfully and intentionally" rather than "knowingly." This bill will be taken up in committee on Wednesday.

Anti-gun
    Senate Bill 554, sponsored by state Senator Barbara Favola (D-31), would create a Class 1 misdemeanor for the transportation or possession of firearms within the residence of the alleged victim by persons subject to emergency protective orders issued as a result of an assault and battery against a family or household member. This legislation was passed by a 9 to 6 vote, with amendments.

Senate Bill 563 also passed in committee, by an 11 to 4 vote. Sponsored by state Senator Frank Ruff (R-15), SB 563 would alter certain application procedures to obtain a concealed handgun permit, including allowing for the submission of an initial application via U.S. mail. This bill would also restrict the clerk and the circuit court from requesting or requiring any information from an applicant other than that which is allowed on the concealed handgun permit application.

Senate Bill 648 was also passed by for the day and will be considered this Wednesday. Sponsored by state Senator Don McEachin (D-9), SB 648 would provide that it is a Class 1 misdemeanor for a person who is under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs to carry a loaded firearm on or about his person in a public place and that a person found guilty is ineligible to apply for a concealed handgun permit for a period of five years. This bill also creates a Class 2 misdemeanor for a person who carries a loaded firearm on or about his person onto the premises of any restaurant or club licensed to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption and consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

I don't expect Constitutional Carry will last very long. Has it died in committee yet?
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Quote Originally Posted by MSC 45ACP View Post
    I don't expect Constitutional Carry will last very long. Has it died in committee yet?
    If that's the case it's my opinion it is the fault of the gun owners in VA not getting behind it and showing their support.
    IMHO, there are many CHP elistist.

~Alan Korwin

Quote Originally Posted by Agent19 View Post
    If that's the case it's my opinion it is the fault of the gun owners in VA not getting behind it and showing their support.
    IMHO, there are many CHP elistist.

+1

It hasn't come up yet and my guess is, it won't.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    +1

It hasn't come up yet and my guess is, it won't.
    It's currently assigned to the Militia, Police and Public Safety Committee, Lingamfelter is the chair. He's usually pretty gun-friendly, if I recall correctly.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    It's currently assigned to the Militia, Police and Public Safety Committee, Lingamfelter is the chair. He's usually pretty gun-friendly, if I recall correctly.

TFred
    He is extremely gun friendly but this is a hot potato and I don't think any of them would mind it if they just ran out of time. We'll just have to wait and see.

Postponed?

Quote Originally Posted by MSC 45ACP View Post
    The AP is reporting HB139 is postponed until next year:
    The one-handgun-a-month repeal is the most significant change in gun policy that appears likely to win approval in this legislative session. Bills to prohibit colleges from banning guns on campus and to eliminate the permit requirement for carrying a concealed weapon have been postponed until next year.

I checked my schedule for tomorrow ad all the bills I'm interested in, are in courts anyway.
    McDougle's tobacco bill comes up too.

I was thinking about streaming video since I'm going to be in one place but the Senate has a rule against it
    Last edited by peter nap; 01-31-2012 at 08:35 PM.