• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not your typical question about a recorder

onlurker

I know recorders are well known around these parts and figured you guys would be the ones to ask. I'm looking to pick one up but not for reasons typical to this site, it's for an a/v project I'm going to start in my spare time. Having chatted with some folks in this field I was led to some equipment that would do the job but it's going to cost close to $500, just for audio equipment to try to reduce wind noise. Seems a bit spendy for my purposes and was curious if the wealth of knowledge from the OC community could lead me to a cheaper alternative. Any help is appreciated.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

$500 to avoid wind noise?

A 'sock' works fine on our bicycle ride videos. What noises get through are easily edited. The production guy uses Final Cut Pro. I use Audacity because its free.

onlurker

$500 to avoid wind noise?

Well the idea is to try to capture as good of audio as possible, so I'm not adverse to spending a bit on a recorder if it can grant me good audio quality. However I think I'm with you in that $500 is a bit much.

Question for you regarding your sock method, how fast have you gone on your bicycles and how well has it reduced wind noise? Wind speeds for my project can be in excess of 100mph and I'm concerned that editing techniques can lose audio quality/information.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Wind noise is proportional to velocity squared.

You need to have your technical requirements firmly in mind, up front, and avoid hypersensitive adhockery.

onlurker

I left it out in the first post but I thought I made it clear in the second even though I made it clear in the first about reduced wind noise? Technical requirements couldn't be more simple, good audio quality and capable of picking up sound with reduced wind noise in excess of 100mph. I'd prefer a directional microphone but if I can get buy with one that's omnidirectional if it'll save costs then all the better.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
First, use a separate mic, other than the one built into the camcorder. It's unbelievably cheap and will deliver only the very basics.

Second, cover the separate mic with anything to cut the wind. You can spend $200 for foamies, or you can pull off your sock and achieve nearly the same result.