• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What To Expect When the U.S. Economy Finally Collapses...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
My guess is a push for monetary hegemony--one planetary system of finance.

Here is why I guess that.

The politicians are in it for their own self-interests. They're going to keep doing what they've been doing--not making meaningful monetary and fiscal reform. Just look at the resistance Ron Paul is encountering from the establishment.

The bankers are in it for their own self-interests. They're not going to dramatically curtail their money-making game(s) which were direct causes of the current mess.

Basically, the central banks loan money created out of thin air to the governments, and the governments borrow from the central banks in order to finance their overspending.

As the poster above said, something is going to happen. The only question is when and how bad.

So, as things deteriorate, the bankers, who are already largely in control through their control of the central banks, are going to want to remain in control and/or try to get even more control.

If you step into the banker's shoes for a moment, the obvious solution is to make a play for a single planetary currency under the control of one planetary central bank. The IMF or World Bank already floated the idea last year. Its already been thought of by the bankers.

It was done once before--when the Federal Reserve was created. "Oh! Gloom! Financial doom! We bankers must have a central bank to prevent all this turmoil and protect people from insolvent banks and bank runs and monsters under the bed!" And, well, now we have a Federal Reserve aka central bank.

Same old story. They only way to prevent all the bad guys (in this case financial bad guys) from wrecking the place is to give control to one entity--that will be the story line. "Its for your own protection." Of course, economic turmoil in individual countries will only serve to add to the justification and the urgency. "Yes! Save us! Erect your planetary central bank! Give us your stable planet-wide monetary unit!"

deniedmyrights

?????????

The point was simply to correct the widely held misconception that crime rates are on the rise. They're actually at the lowest they've been for like half a century.

Afterall, as you've pointed out. Crime rates are declining at a very nice rate while ownership rates are sharply rising. Allowing the belief that crime rates are rising, no matter the reason, will negate any impact gun ownership may have had on their actual decline. And if that belief becomes widely accepted enough, then it will come back to bite us in the ass. Gun control proponents could very easily claim that all their theories about guns were right and we are now headed for a national crisis if something isn't done. It's not like they haven't done it before.

U.S. prison population dwarfs that of other nations

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/world/americas/23iht-23prison.12253738.html?pagewanted=all

There are more people in US prisons now than were in Stalin's gulags.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/101610576

The United States has the highest documented incarceration rate in the world. At year-end 2009 it was 743 adults incarcerated per 100,000 population.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Incarceration_in_the_United_States

Dreamer

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/world/americas/23iht-23prison.12253738.html?pagewanted=all

There are more people in US prisons now than were in Stalin's gulags.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/101610576

The United States has the highest documented incarceration rate in the world. At year-end 2009 it was 743 adults incarcerated per 100,000 population.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Incarceration_in_the_United_States

What you fail to correlate is that the VAST majority of those incarcerated in the US are in for "victimless crimes" such as drug possession, tax violations, and administrative infractions.

According to the FBI's "Uniform Crime Report", violent crimes such as robbery, rape, assault and homicide have been on a steady decline for the last two decades, and are in sharp decline over the last decade.

http://www.bjs.gov/content/glance/tables/viortrdtab.cfm

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/ucr

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

The "felonization" of everyday activities is the main reason for the massive increase in the prison population. It has gotten to the point, where, technically, it is nearly impossible to walk out of your house and go about a normal 24 hours of daily life without committing a few felones in the USA, even if you are the most conscientious, law-abiding citizen on the planet.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704471504574438900830760842.html

For instance, in MD, it is a felony for a MD resident to bring more than two packs (not cartons, PACKS) of cigarettes into the state that do not have MD tax stamps on them. In some states, "dumpster diving" is a felony.

The PERCEPTION of increased crime is caused by the 24-hour news coverage, the media's contant fear-mongering, and the Fascist Corporate/Government program to instill feelings of fear, helplessness and perpetual vitimhood on the populace, in order to elicit support for increased control over and domination of the everyday life of each and every Citizen.

Know the facts. Nearly EVERYTHING the media is telling you is a lie. WTFU...

Last edited:

DocWalker

The point was simply to correct the widely held misconception that crime rates are on the rise. They're actually at the lowest they've been for like half a century.

Afterall, as you've pointed out. Crime rates are declining at a very nice rate while ownership rates are sharply rising. Allowing the belief that crime rates are rising, no matter the reason, will negate any impact gun ownership may have had on their actual decline. And if that belief becomes widely accepted enough, then it will come back to bite us in the ass. Gun control proponents could very easily claim that all their theories about guns were right and we are now headed for a national crisis if something isn't done. It's not like they haven't done it before.

I will concede the fact that OC and CC have made a difference in some criminals deciding to commit crimes. I also can tell you that within 200 miles of me crimes such as bank robberies, hold ups, muggings, and such have increased.

Murders and Rape may have dropped but I also don't believe everything the FBI or other goverment angency tells me either. I go by what is actually happening around me. What I know is happening around me and not what the goverment blindly tells me. If crime has dropped so much then why do we have such a large population of inmates in our prison system. Shouldn't we have empty beds? A lot of people are barley hanging on with food stamps and handouts, I just wonder what it would take for some people to turn to crime to feed there kids if they suddenly stopped getting help from the goverment.

Aknazer

You can blame this on our wonderful "War on Drugs".

I'm still trying to figure out how you go to war against an innanimate object. On a somewhat related note, back in high school I knew many people who said that they started trying drugs because of what they learned in programs like DARE. Kind of ironic that programs that were "supposed" to stop kids from trying drugs was actually getting kids to try them that otherwise weren't interested in them.

DocWalker

I'm still trying to figure out how you go to war against an innanimate object. On a somewhat related note, back in high school I knew many people who said that they started trying drugs because of what they learned in programs like DARE. Kind of ironic that programs that were "supposed" to stop kids from trying drugs was actually getting kids to try them that otherwise weren't interested in them.

It would be like your parents telling you not to do drugs with a cigarette hanging out of their mouth and a beer in their hand.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

It would be like your parents telling you not to do drugs with a cigarette hanging out of their mouth and a beer in their hand.
I graduated from HS in the SF Bay Area in 1966 - maybe the center of the burgeoning drug tolerant culture. A classmate put on black-tie, put a serviette over his arm and offered another Highball to his parents as they were enjoying their Valium and alcohol happy hour. We yucked over the story of their confusion for years.

Jack House

What's your point? That is irrelevant to the point I made.

If crime has dropped so much then why do we have such a large population of inmates in our prison system.
See Dreamer's post. But for the record, it's not just violent crime that is on the decline. Crime as a whole is going down, with a few weird crimes going up. Like dog-napping.

Murders and Rape may have dropped but I also don't believe everything the FBI or other goverment angency tells me either. I go by what is actually happening around me. What I know is happening around me and not what the goverment blindly tells me
I rest my case. People hear more about something, so they start assuming that it happens more often.

It is fully possible that crime is on the rise in your area. Just because crime rates for the U.S. are dropping, does not mean that every area in the U.S. is going to see the same thing.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

200 miles around Mountain Home, Idaho is most of the state where tweaking and countering tweakers are the state sports.

MKEgal

Dreamer said:
the VAST majority of those incarcerated in the US are in for "victimless crimes" such as rug possession
I know it's a typo, but it's funnier this way. :D

protias said:
It is better to be overprepared than underprepared.
Having seen what you brought to the range that day, this makes me chuckle too.

DrakeZ07 said:
Price per ounce, yea it's rough, especially when you're feeding yourself, and two others on $200 worth of food stamps per month.
1) a family of 3 should be getting more than that; $200 is the max for 1 person with no income.
(Though seeing you're in sort of a nontraditional situation, you might have some trouble getting them to follow the rules.
Never mind that - 'household' includes everyone living there. Have a look at this page. Their own definition says: "A household is any person, family or group of people who live and buy and eat food together."
If they won't do it the right way, each of you needs to apply individually
.)

2) The vast majority of my food $ is spent on things that cost $2/lb or less.
(12.5c/oz if your store has those helpful tags that tell you the price per ounce.)
I've been doing this for years, no matter the source of the money I use for food.
I can get most fruits & vegetables (canned & fresh), grains (rice, barley, pasta), beans (canned & dry), some dairy and some meats.
And if you want to get something that's more expensive, like cheese, breakfast cereal, or maybe beef for a stew, splurge once in a while.

DocWalker

200 miles around Mountain Home, Idaho is most of the state where tweaking and countering tweakers are the state sports.

I have to agree; we have a large drug abuse community with drug dealers growing pot in corn fields and in the hills. We also seem to have our share of meth labs.

Even in the small town of Moutain Home our local sheriff had his some arrested for drugs after his son resisted treatment and kept doing them. The sheriff has my vote if he will hold his son accoutable he will hold everyone else accountable also.

The best part is over half the population of Elmore county has a CCW permit and are packing reguarly.

OC4me

A few years back, there was a 'rash' of kidnappings (and that seemed to be all that the media talked about). First one case gained national attention, then another.

FBI stats for that year? Kidnappings down. Go figure.

It would be wise to check the FBI crime states for your state/county/or locality and see what the actual trend is (up or down).

I hear so many people say that crime is up. Just how many actually check the stats before coming to that conclusion?

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I have also heard of a lot of drug addicts breaking the law (breaking into homes..ect) to get drug money. Also even if you disagree with the drug laws they people are breaking the "current laws" so it is still considered a crime.

Why do drug addicts steal? To get money for more drugs, right? Legalize drugs the price goes down, also include cheap or free drugs provided by charities and governments and that issue is greatly reduced.

Spend money on drug rehabilitation and supplying cheap drugs and the all around problem of ancillary crimes due to illegal drug use is reduced.

DocWalker

A few years back, there was a 'rash' of kidnappings (and that seemed to be all that the media talked about). First one case gained national attention, then another.

FBI stats for that year? Kidnappings down. Go figure.

It would be wise to check the FBI crime states for your state/county/or locality and see what the actual trend is (up or down).

I hear so many people say that crime is up. Just how many actually check the stats before coming to that conclusion?

I hear so many people say that crime is down. Just how many actually believe everything the goverment tells them without actually checking?

I guess crime would be out of control for anyone that was/is a victim of a crime. It would be like telling a rape victim..."yea but crime is down".

DocWalker

Why do drug addicts steal? To get money for more drugs, right? Legalize drugs the price goes down, also include cheap or free drugs provided by charities and governments and that issue is greatly reduced.

Spend money on drug rehabilitation and supplying cheap drugs and the all around problem of ancillary crimes due to illegal drug use is reduced.

Yea that is the first place our tax dollars should go, better yet lets raise taxes...

Wait I have a better idea, personnal resposiability but that would never ever work.