• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What are your opinions on the taurus 1911's?

SigGuy23

Activist Member
I'm wanting to get a 1911 platform for my next firearm purchase. I decided to stop by the place where I bought my Sig Pro 2022 to look at their selection. Most of them were out of my price range. The guy there did offer me a Taurus 1911 for less then 700.00. Taurus is one of the few brands I don't really have any kind of experience with. does anyone here own or use to own any of the newer models Taurus 1911's? What our your opinions on them? How accurate are they? Do they feed most types of ammo well? Does the slide wiggle and get a lot of movement over time?

Any and all comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Sparky508

Finish Sucks, but has performed flawlessly. Lots of rounds through it (over 1000), personal defense and the cheapest garbage. Haven't had a failure yet, knock on wood. Ran it till it was so dirty the first day around, thought it would never come clean.

Turned me into a 1911 fan, reconfigured my USP to get rid of the decocker after getting a feel for it. (the 1911)

SigGuy23

Activist Member
I realized just as I hit post it should be in a different place. MOD please move this to selecting a handgun. Thanks.

Also if you're going to correct someone on where they should post maybe you should make sure that you're not wrong as well. Just sayin.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
Just a big fat lie?

It's not a lie. The comment was appreciated. I was just pointing out that it should go into selecting a handgun and not social lounge. Also it would have been nice if you would have contributed to the topic and said what you like or dislike about the firearm. Let's just say we were both wrong and move on. I don't want to have a dumb internet argument.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
Finish Sucks, but has performed flawlessly. Lots of rounds through it (over 1000), personal defense and the cheapest garbage. Haven't had a failure yet, knock on wood. Ran it till it was so dirty the first day around, thought it would never come clean.

Turned me into a 1911 fan, reconfigured my USP to get rid of the decocker after getting a feel for it. (the 1911)

Sounds good. Thanks. Witch model do you have?

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Regardless of where you posted this, here's a great resource regarding fine Taurus firearms.

1911 section of TaurusArmed.net
Do NOT go to Taurus Armed. You are only to read POSITIVE reviews about Taurus guns there. I went there and answered this same question with a bad review and was warned by an admin. I replied to a thread asking this same question and my problems with the gun were challenged. After going back and forth with some of the members I had this in my inbox.
Prove to me you're not a troll or basher, because you certainly are coming across as one, to more than just me. You don't like Taurus? Fine. But we aren't going to listen to it here over and over again. Of your 55 posts, almost 50% are negative toward Taurus. Like I said earlier, this is a Taurus enthusiasts site, and you sure have a poor way of showing yourself to be one.

Yeah, you can consider this a warning.

ANYONE WHO DOESN'T LOVE TAURUS GUNS IN A TROLL OR BASHER.
(In no way am I slamming another forum, I'm just saying it is a poor source for fair reviews on a gun because the Admin himself said it is for "Taurus enthusiasts.")

I've had nothing but BAD LUCK with PT1911s and Taurus revolvers. I've owned 4. (you'd think I would have stopped at one?) I kept one in 9mm just for the range.

I don't trust a manufacturer that constantly sends me broken guns with problems that could get you killed. When you buy a Taurus figure in the cost it takes to ship it back NIB for repairs.

My first Taurus gun was a revolver and NIB the transfer bar would get stuck to the bottom of the firing pin when you pulled the trigger, locking the gun up. Another big issue was a PT1911, when you'd drop the safety the hammer would fall O_O RUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN I had another PT1911, the inside was littered with machining marks and chips on the inside of the frame. The parts in there looked like they were thrown through a jet engine.

Do yourself a favor, get a Rock Island Armory.

TO BE FAIR TO TAURUS - with the guns I had to send back new in box for repairs, I had them back within a week or two. There warranty service is great - unfortunately you have to use it on NIB guns.

Last edited:

SigGuy23

Activist Member
Do NOT go to Taurus Armed. You are only to read POSITIVE reviews about Taurus guns there. I went there and answered this same question with a bad review and was warned by an admin. I replied to a thread asking this same question and my problems with the gun were challenged. After going back and forth with some of the members I had this in my inbox.

ANYONE WHO DOESN'T LOVE TAURUS GUNS IN A TROLL OR BASHER.
(In no way am I slamming another forum, I'm just saying it is a poor source for fair reviews on a gun because the Admin himself said it is for "Taurus enthusiasts.")

I've had nothing but BAD LUCK with PT1911s and Taurus revolvers. I've owned 4. (you'd think I would have stopped at one?) I kept one in 9mm just for the range.

I don't trust a manufacturer that constantly sends me broken guns with problems that could get you killed. When you buy a Taurus figure in the cost it takes to ship it back NIB for repairs.

My first Taurus gun was a revolver and NIB the transfer bar would get stuck to the bottom of the firing pin when you pulled the trigger, locking the gun up. Another big issue was a PT1911, when you'd drop the safety the hammer would fall O_O RUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN I had another PT1911, the inside was littered with machining marks and chips on the inside of the frame. The parts in there looked like they were thrown through a jet engine.

Do yourself a favor, get a Rock Island Armory.

TO BE FAIR TO TAURUS - with the guns I had to send back new in box for repairs, I had them back within a week or two. There warranty service is great - unfortunately you have to use it on NIB guns.

Thanks for all that you said. I asked the guy about that kind of stuff. He told me the old ones were crap but they had made a lot of improvements.

I actually thought about getting a rock island. When I asked a guy at the range buy my house about them he said that after a few hundred rounds the slide gets real loose and has to much movement. I never heard that before. I heard from most reviews they are pretty solid. Do you have a Rock Island?

decklin

I personally do not have any experience with the Taurus 1911. One of my friends had one though and got rid of it for lack of holsters. His had a rail and apparently Taurus uses different dimensions than the other manufacturers so he couldn't find any holsters. Not sure if that has been remedied yet. Don't think there are any problems with the ones without a rail.

Freedom First

TA is a different type of forum...

Schlitz, I'm not picking a fight with you here. I just feel that you forcefully misrepresented a forum that I find very useful and friendly so I'm going to give folks here a different side of your encounter.

The folks there at TA are expecting a slightly higher standard of discussion from members than is acceptible here on OCDO. You dropped the F bomb on their forum. It's a privately owned forum, you know, the rated G "totally not attached to Taurus corporate" Taurus fan forum. They make their own rules. It's a forum for folks who own or have questions about Taurus or Rossi firearms.

I popped over to TA and reviewed your interchanges and found that you're you're still a member in good standing. They cleared the ban you received for posting foul language. You were pretty excited at an online gun deal gone bad and you were less than pleased with the internals of your $500 PT1911. You get what you pay for. Honestly you are one of the more frisky members here on OCDO and they just aren't geared up for that level of "posting freedom" over there.

You got accused of being a troll? Sorry. Might I point out if someone here on OCDO has a <50 post count and is negative in his language about Open Carry, some folks here might assign that same title to the offender. Same deal over there. It's just a forum, deal with it.

There is a section on Tarus complaints. And there are plenty of threads in there. Taurus isn't perfect. Oddly, customer service obviously gets the job done though. Most of those "complaint" threads end the same way with some guy happily blazing away at the range with his repaired handgun.

Don't like Taurus? Fine, don't buy one. I have two that I love and I trust them both with my life daily. All for under $900. And with four kids, money is important. So, when I was buying a handgun, choosing between a $500 .45ACP (not a 1911 BTW) or a coolio name brand 1911 from some well known and much loved manufacturer for $1,500?.. Not a hard choice for me.

Taurus PT-945SS. Great gun that goes bang every time...

The OP had questions and I gave him a great source, though not the only source, for info on Taurus firearms.

I hope I helped you SigGuy23.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
The Taurus PT1911 was my first 1911. (Now have 4) I have put thousands of rounds through it without issues. You are getting a gun with custom features for half the cost of a custom gun.

Each gun is unique, Kimbers and Springfields can fail just as easily. Don't let the Taurus haters put you off if this is the gun you want.

+1 for Rock Island Armory. Excellent guns. I have two of them.

Last edited:

fire suppressor

I do not own any of them but know people who do. I have herd some horror story's about them and have herd the company does not treat their employee's very well leading to a lack of motivation to put out a good product. This is all word of mouth I have herd over the years and can not quote anyone or even be able to tell you where I herd it. I have looked at a few they are very affordable but never liked the way they felt in my hand, they are not something I could shoot comfortably.

All that being said I also know people who own them and love them. A co worker and good friend of mine has a 1911 (not sure what model) And rants and raves about it. It is his primary carry gun and it has never let him down. From what I have seen personally if you get a good one you get a great gun, if you don't get a good one you will be sending it back to the factory a few times before you can start to rely on it

Trigger Dr

Go to 1911 forum, scroll down to manufacturers and read the comments both pro and con about any of the current manufacturers. Rock Island Makes the Spartan for STI. That should say something about them.
I have a RIA and my shooting partner has the Taurus, Both in 38 super. There are a couple differences in the Taurus but for the most part they follow the 1911 platform quite well. Would I buy the Taurus in the $700 range? Not when I can get the RIA Tactical for much less. Check www.centerfiresystems.com

SGB

Taurus
2v2z1o8_th.jpg
.... proprietary sight cuts, out of spec frame pin holes, poor fit and finish with lousy customer service. Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.

Sparky508

Originally bought it for my wife, because she liked the thinner grip of a single stack mag. (It’s mine now……) I think it’s just a PT 1911 with no letter designator that shows up in the 2012 catalog, like “B” for the blued steel version. It has what I assume is a half ass parkerized finish, which to date is my only complaint. Of course I’m no 1911 expert so as far as pin alignment and all that, I wouldn’t know. It doesn’t rattle like an old pinto or explode when its rear ended.
It’s an out of the box shooter, it points well functions well, and turned me on to the platform.
I have two Taurus pistols, the other a PT145 Pro in stainless, and I have ran it through an impromptu torture test or two, never malfunctioning. Bought them both after reading nothing but bad reviews, which seems to be when I get my best stuff. I know it’s not luck, cause it if weren’t for bad luck I wouldn’t have any at all…………:rolleyes:

SigGuy23

Activist Member
Go to 1911 forum, scroll down to manufacturers and read the comments both pro and con about any of the current manufacturers. Rock Island Makes the Spartan for STI. That should say something about them.
I have a RIA and my shooting partner has the Taurus, Both in 38 super. There are a couple differences in the Taurus but for the most part they follow the 1911 platform quite well. Would I buy the Taurus in the $700 range? Not when I can get the RIA Tactical for much less. Check www.centerfiresystems.com

Thanks for the link. That site is awesome. I think I might have to go for the RIA Tactical or High Cap .45 ACP Can't wait to save my money and get one. :D