• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Grey

carracer

Went to see that over the weekend. Hmmm.... Not one I will likely go see a second time. Computer generated wolves are not my thing.

Interesting thing tho, I did not realize Remington made a Model 700 in 12 gauge!

Oh, also heard I should have stayed till the end of the credits. Don't know what that was about. Funny outtakes?

Last edited:

DangerClose

highlight spoiler

I liked it. A bit slow. It could have used a little more... excitement?... or perhaps more survival/MacGyver techniques like you see on survival shows... but it was pretty ok.

Highlight the space below this sentence to read the spoiler for what happens after the credits.

After the credits there is an extra scene that shows Ottway (Liam Neeson) still alive and laying beside the wolf.

since9

Campaign Veteran
This movie was one of the most flagrant violations of reality I've yet seen from Hollywood. They'd have died night 1 if it were real, and that's without the wolves. Had they any survival training, they'd had been able to beat the wolves, every single one of them.

Any human being trained for a couple of days and armed with either a baseball bat or a spear can defeat a wolf or three. There's a reason dogs are man's best friends, and it's not because we can out-do the wolf in it's natural habitat. It's because some of us today, and most of us three hundred years ago, are in the same natural habitat as wolves and every other creature roaming planet Earth. Grizzlys? Yes, scary, but they're not the king of the forest.

We are.

People forget that, primarily because Hollywood likes to paint a false picture that we humans are at the mercy of the wild. What I learned in U.S. Air Force Survival School is that if that were so, we'd have been plowed under 50,000 years ago. As evidenced by cave paintings throughout the world, and by cliff carvings here in Colorado I've seen for myself, we humans conquered wild animals tens of thousands of years ago. The paintings/carvings indicate that it was usually in groups, er, "packs," same as used by wolves, but unlike them, we have access to things like spears, bows and arrows, nets, snares, trip-wires, fall traps....

And that's just in North America. We came from Africa, home of the elephant, giraffe, and lion. Wow - king of the beasts. Yet we're the king of the planet, while they're the endangered species.

My point is that The Grey is Hollywood nonsense. I've encountered one wolf, two bobcats, one mountain lion, numerous black bears, one brown bear, one grizzly, three moose, and countless dear in the wild. Add to that more than three dozen poisonous snakes, mostly in Florida, where I grew up.

OMG! I SURVIVED!!! I must be some sort of hero!!!

Nope. Just an average joe, as any hunter or outdoorsman who's spent any time in the wild will attest. It is what it is, and what is, ain't Hollywood.

And when it comes to outdoor survival, I still consider myself a neophyte. Yes, I could hike from here to the west coast living off the land, even in the dead of winter.

But why? I'm watching Life on Mars, season 1, ep 1 on Netflix, and enjoying my own good cooking!

People...