Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Kimber Ultra + CDP

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    796

    Kimber Ultra + CDP

    I'm interested in any feedback from those who have or had a Kimber Ultra + CDP .45. I've got the urge to pickup a nice 1911 and have not read much on the Kimbers, but have seen the pics. I like the look of it, but obviously looks aren't the big deciding factor (but ya know, a purdy gun is nice to have!). So what do you think of it, or of Kimbers in general?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    High Point, NC
    Posts
    94
    I have a Kimber TLE/RL II and I love it. Not the kind of handgun I CC with b/c it's a big gun, but Kimber makes the best 1911's I've ever shot. With the dual recoil spring, it keeps the recoil down to a minimum. Almost like shooting a .40 with mine. Also mine came with a match grade trigger and barrel so it's also one of the most accurate handguns I've ever shot. A true nail driver.
    The M4...serving scum the laws of terminal ballistics at 2,900FPS

  3. #3
    Regular Member HighFlyingA380's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    West St. Louis County (Ellisville)
    Posts
    301
    Here's the link to my thread from a little while ago, on basically the same topic; Probably worth a few minutes of your time: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...less-Raptor-II

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    796
    Thanks! Have read through that, and am back on the Kimber site trying to learn a bit more. Probably one of the more frustrating things is that I find that I'm looking for one big comparison chart to understand the significant differences between the various models.

  5. #5
    Regular Member HighFlyingA380's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    West St. Louis County (Ellisville)
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by drdan01 View Post
    Thanks! Have read through that, and am back on the Kimber site trying to learn a bit more. Probably one of the more frustrating things is that I find that I'm looking for one big comparison chart to understand the significant differences between the various models.
    Yeah, they all seem to be pretty similar. I'm just going on size and looks right now to decide which I want.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    South end of the state, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    314
    I have the tactical ultra. I love it. I went with the tactical because of the extra 1/4 inch the mag well gives you on the grip. By resting the back of my hand against a post for support , I was able to put 3 shots touching/slightly over lapping each other at 10 yards.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    796
    Quote Originally Posted by jayspapa View Post
    I have the tactical ultra. I love it. I went with the tactical because of the extra 1/4 inch the mag well gives you on the grip. By resting the back of my hand against a post for support , I was able to put 3 shots touching/slightly over lapping each other at 10 yards.
    It looks like all of the Tactical models have that extended magazine well -- so what was it about the Ultra (assume it is the Ultra II?) that had you picking that version over the other Tactical models?

    That seems to be an interesting feature (as I have Magwells on my Glocks). I'm still looking at all of the various lines and models, trying to make comparisons. I've also noticed the Crimson Trace Lasergrips, and am sorting through to figure out which lines have that along with Meprolight Tritium (or I've got to avoid a model with black slide + black sights as that seems to be something that others have mentioned to be a problem for acquiring the target). So far the Kimber Ultra CDP II is looking interesting as well.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    South end of the state, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    314
    I went with the ultra version ( 3"BBL.) for inside the waist concealed carry. I have plenty of padding and I knew the full size models would really dig in. The 3"BBL. still digs in some but not bad. Being I am in Illinois , I figure when we get LTC we will probably have to conceal. Yet It would still look good open carrying also.

    One other thing , if you should go with the tactical , get rid of that magazine pad that comes to a point at the front. After a long session of shooting my pinkie finger was sore because of it. I am using the Kim-pro mags and the pads that come with them are the same thickness front to back and got rid of the pain.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    796
    Thanks all for the comments and suggestions!

    I ultimately went with the Ultra CDP II LG as it seemed to have what I was looking for -- the silver slide (vs. black), nite sights, the laser grip and wooden grips, and was the closest in size to my Glock 23 (compact .40) which is a good comfortable fit size-wise for me. I also picked up three Kimber KimPro Tac-Mags, based on so many negative comments out there about the stock mag not being the best.

    Now I just have to do the wait for it to get to my FFL dance -- and it looks like both this and my new Draco Mini AK-47 pistol will arrive the same day. Sounds like I'm going to have some fun upcoming range time!

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    South end of the state, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    314
    So how about an update? How does the little gun suit you?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    796
    I haven't had the chance to get it to the range as I've just had it two days, but am hoping to do that tomorrow. Hate to say it but haven't had a 1911 in my hands for about 20 years so I didn't want to range it until I knew that I had the time I needed to get to know it well. But I've had a chance to spend some time fondling handling it and love the way that it feels. It's a great size and tucked into the Fobus paddle holster that I got for it feels great carrying - nice and compact.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    WI.
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by drdan01 View Post
    I haven't had the chance to get it to the range as I've just had it two days, but am hoping to do that tomorrow. Hate to say it but haven't had a 1911 in my hands for about 20 years so I didn't want to range it until I knew that I had the time I needed to get to know it well. But I've had a chance to spend some time fondling handling it and love the way that it feels. It's a great size and tucked into the Fobus paddle holster that I got for it feels great carrying - nice and compact.




    I like the Ultra CDP small,easy to carry and very nice to shoot. Custom Shop quality piece at it's finest.

    dr4pat

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •