• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kimber Ultra + CDP

Glockster

I'm interested in any feedback from those who have or had a Kimber Ultra + CDP .45. I've got the urge to pickup a nice 1911 and have not read much on the Kimbers, but have seen the pics. I like the look of it, but obviously looks aren't the big deciding factor (but ya know, a purdy gun is nice to have!). So what do you think of it, or of Kimbers in general?

11B2O

I have a Kimber TLE/RL II and I love it. Not the kind of handgun I CC with b/c it's a big gun, but Kimber makes the best 1911's I've ever shot. With the dual recoil spring, it keeps the recoil down to a minimum. Almost like shooting a .40 with mine. Also mine came with a match grade trigger and barrel so it's also one of the most accurate handguns I've ever shot. A true nail driver.

Glockster

Thanks! Have read through that, and am back on the Kimber site trying to learn a bit more. Probably one of the more frustrating things is that I find that I'm looking for one big comparison chart to understand the significant differences between the various models.

HighFlyingA380

Thanks! Have read through that, and am back on the Kimber site trying to learn a bit more. Probably one of the more frustrating things is that I find that I'm looking for one big comparison chart to understand the significant differences between the various models.
Yeah, they all seem to be pretty similar. I'm just going on size and looks right now to decide which I want.

jayspapa

I have the tactical ultra. I love it. I went with the tactical because of the extra 1/4 inch the mag well gives you on the grip. By resting the back of my hand against a post for support , I was able to put 3 shots touching/slightly over lapping each other at 10 yards.

Glockster

I have the tactical ultra. I love it. I went with the tactical because of the extra 1/4 inch the mag well gives you on the grip. By resting the back of my hand against a post for support , I was able to put 3 shots touching/slightly over lapping each other at 10 yards.

It looks like all of the Tactical models have that extended magazine well -- so what was it about the Ultra (assume it is the Ultra II?) that had you picking that version over the other Tactical models?

That seems to be an interesting feature (as I have Magwells on my Glocks). I'm still looking at all of the various lines and models, trying to make comparisons. I've also noticed the Crimson Trace Lasergrips, and am sorting through to figure out which lines have that along with Meprolight Tritium (or I've got to avoid a model with black slide + black sights as that seems to be something that others have mentioned to be a problem for acquiring the target). So far the Kimber Ultra CDP II is looking interesting as well.

jayspapa

I went with the ultra version ( 3"BBL.) for inside the waist concealed carry. I have plenty of padding and I knew the full size models would really dig in. The 3"BBL. still digs in some but not bad. Being I am in Illinois , I figure when we get LTC we will probably have to conceal. Yet It would still look good open carrying also.

One other thing , if you should go with the tactical , get rid of that magazine pad that comes to a point at the front. After a long session of shooting my pinkie finger was sore because of it. I am using the Kim-pro mags and the pads that come with them are the same thickness front to back and got rid of the pain.

Glockster

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions!

I ultimately went with the Ultra CDP II LG as it seemed to have what I was looking for -- the silver slide (vs. black), nite sights, the laser grip and wooden grips, and was the closest in size to my Glock 23 (compact .40) which is a good comfortable fit size-wise for me. I also picked up three Kimber KimPro Tac-Mags, based on so many negative comments out there about the stock mag not being the best.

Now I just have to do the wait for it to get to my FFL dance -- and it looks like both this and my new Draco Mini AK-47 pistol will arrive the same day. Sounds like I'm going to have some fun upcoming range time!

Glockster

I haven't had the chance to get it to the range as I've just had it two days, but am hoping to do that tomorrow. Hate to say it but haven't had a 1911 in my hands for about 20 years so I didn't want to range it until I knew that I had the time I needed to get to know it well. But I've had a chance to spend some time [strike]fondling[/strike] handling it and love the way that it feels. It's a great size and tucked into the Fobus paddle holster that I got for it feels great carrying - nice and compact.

dr4pat

I haven't had the chance to get it to the range as I've just had it two days, but am hoping to do that tomorrow. Hate to say it but haven't had a 1911 in my hands for about 20 years so I didn't want to range it until I knew that I had the time I needed to get to know it well. But I've had a chance to spend some time [strike]fondling[/strike] handling it and love the way that it feels. It's a great size and tucked into the Fobus paddle holster that I got for it feels great carrying - nice and compact.

I like the Ultra CDP small,easy to carry and very nice to shoot. Custom Shop quality piece at it's finest.

dr4pat