• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

examiner.com - McDonnell going wobbly on shutting down Va. gun check system?

Repeater

Goddard willfully ignores the facts

Several VT families ask to meet with governor about gun legislation

http://www.nbc12.com/story/17013882...k-to-meet-with-governor-about-gun-legislation

Goddard..."We've gone through something. We know what happens when the wrong kind of person- just one person gets their hand on two guns."

Will the Gov fold?

The fact is that Cho acted deliberately in acquiring his guns. He purchased one at a time, over a period on months. OhGAM accomplished nothing of value. Goddard knows this.

Perhaps the Governor should have a "conversation" with VCDL.

Repeater

McDonnell has until Tuesday to act

In the meantime, here is WTVR's report:

VA. Tech families urge Gov. McDonnell to meet about one-gun law
“We won't get him to stop, but maybe get him to change it”, said Andrew Goddard.

“All of the things, all of the arguments why we don`t need this anymore not one of them stand up to scrutiny”, said Goddard.

He says background checks don’t help police catch gun traffickers because those checks are destroyed by the FBI after 24 hours, so you can’t see a pattern of behavior.

But, gun rights advocate, Philip Van Cleave says the law muddles our right to bear arms.

“Because it`s rationing the number of guns you can buy at one time. None of our other laws are rationed. You don`t` have the government telling you that you can go to church once a week.”

See the irrational arguments Goddard is making now? Now he wants the Feds to spy on us all in order to "see a pattern of behavior" -- we're all suspects now.

2a4all

In the meantime, here is WTVR's report:

VA. Tech families urge Gov. McDonnell to meet about one-gun law
“We won't get him to stop, but maybe get him to change it”, said Andrew Goddard.

“All of the things, all of the arguments why we don`t need this anymore not one of them stand up to scrutiny”, said Goddard.

He says background checks don’t help police catch gun traffickers because those checks are destroyed by the FBI after 24 hours, so you can’t see a pattern of behavior.

See the irrational arguments Goddard is making now? Now he wants the Feds to spy on us all in order to "see a pattern of behavior" -- we're all suspects now.
He (Goddard) seems to be caught up in the use of the term "background check" and applying it to all transaction records of gun sales. He is clearly missing the BATFE records that identify the most recent purchase of a given firearm from an FFL, except of course, for the ones that went to Mexico. Maybe he should complain about that to Congressman Issa. Now if those states only had a "sales limit law"... Oh, wait, they have a memo from BATFE...

MKEgal

Goddard said:
We've gone through something. We know what happens when the wrong kind of person- just one person gets their hand on two guns.
So the people who have stopped a criminal attack by using (including just displaying) a gun... their "something" that they've gone through doesn't count?
And see how clever he is, in saying "two guns"? As if he thinks it's OK for a regular citizen to own one, or that a criminal won't be attacking if he has only one. In truth, he (& the rest of the Joyce Fdn. / Brady Bunch) don't want any LACs to have any means to protect themselves.

background checks don’t help police catch gun traffickers because those checks are destroyed by the FBI after 24 hours
Um, no, BG checks don't help catch gun traffickers because criminals don't buy from FFLs & so don't submit to BG checks. Even the ATF, on their webpage, admits that BG checks turned down less than 1% of all sales. So 99% of people are being unreasonably searched, & usually made to pay for that gov't search.

As for the other, non-gun-related, topic of discussion...
from my experience, it was close to a year after I was raped before I'd voluntarily let anyone touch me more than socially. So if I'd wanted to abort the pregnancy the rape caused I couldn't have gone through the probing. Just the "well-woman" prenatal exams were tough, & those were all external poking & measuring.
I get to decide what happens to me,
you get to decide what happens to you.
Neither of us can decide for someone else, though we can offer advice & opinions.

Last edited:

Repeater

Did McDonnell Threaten Republican Conservatives?

One must always read anything the WaPo says with some measure of skepticism, yet this would seems to reveal more about Bob McDonnell than just about anything written before:

McDonnell walks fine line with conservative General Assembly
Virginia Gov. Robert F. McDonnell met with Republican members of the General Assembly more than 60 times in the past month — from formal meetings to glitzy social gatherings at the Executive Mansion — and he often cautioned them to exercise restraint.

McDonnell warned his fellow Republicans to limit their socially conservative legislation and focus on job creation and the state budget, according to legislators. Otherwise, he said, they risked miring the session in needless disputes that would not benefit the GOP. He even signaled which bills he would support, a departure from previous practice.

We know what he meant,” said Sen. Bill Stanley (Franklin), a conservative Republican from Southside Virginia who attended some of the gatherings.

Bob Holsworth, a former professor at Virginia Commonwealth University with a deep knowledge of state politics, said the governor has been successful at managing conflicting goals. “McDonnell is a national figure,’’ Holsworth said. “He’s simultaneously running two campaigns: one for his budget and other priorities and one a silent campaign for the vice presidency.’’

But observers say that balance could be jeopardized by the General Assembly, where Republican leaders have set the agenda this session, including lifting a one-a-month limit on handgun purchases and implementing adoption guidelines that critics say discriminate against gay people.

“His preference is consistent with what he ran on: ‘Bob’s for Jobs,’ ’’ Senate Majority Leader Thomas K. Norment Jr. (R-James City) said. “He respects the social agenda, but he thinks jobs and economic development are the priorities.’’

But McDonnell has had to spend time behind the scenes reining in fellow Republicans, who continue to ask him to back highly divisive bills.

House Minority Leader David J. Toscano (D-Charlottesville) said McDonnell has told him, “I’m doing what I can” to restrain the push on social issues.

This year, in a significant move, McDonnell announced which bills he intended to sign, a break from past practice. On the one hand, he signaled his willingness to sign the adoption legislation and the bill to repeal the one-a-month limit on handgun purchases. On the other, he expressed opposition to two particularly controversial abortion and gun bills, and they died.

Well! So 'Bob for Jobs' stabbed Senator Carrico in the back. And that explains why we will never have legal campus carry in Virginia.

It's sad that the Left habitually describe gun rights as "Social Issues" and the GOP does nothing to change that. Why not fight back and declare Gun Rights are Civil Rights and stop being cowards.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
The fact is that Cho acted deliberately in acquiring his guns. He purchased one at a time, over a period on months. OhGAM accomplished nothing of value. Goddard knows this.

Perhaps the Governor should have a "conversation" with VCDL.
Didn't he also say that 40% of the sales aren't covered by a federal background check?

If he did say that, is the figure true? Would that constitute private sales? Are private sales 40% of gun sales?

And, if he did say that, and the figure is even accurate, would those sales be subject to the one gun a month limit anyhow?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Didn't he also say that 40% of the sales aren't covered by a federal background check?

If he did say that, is the figure true? Would that constitute private sales? Are private sales 40% of gun sales?

And, if he did say that, and the figure is even accurate, would those sales be subject to the one gun a month limit anyhow?

I think he pulled that percentage out of the south while heading to NOVA.

I've always thought the one gun did apply to private sales, it's just unenforcable and generally ignored.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

I've always thought the one gun did apply to private sales, it's just unenforcable and generally ignored.

He pulled that out of his..... ask..... me no questions and I'll tell you no lies. :lol:

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member

Haha, so then is his position that people voluntarily comply with the one gun a month law, but that the "gunshow loophole" needs to be closed. Talk about a nuanced house-of-cards type position.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Haha, so then is his position that people voluntarily comply with the one gun a month law, but that the "gunshow loophole" needs to be closed. Talk about a nuanced house-of-cards type position.

Yes and no.
To be honest it's such a trivial thing I don't think many people think about it one way or the other.

I average buying maybe 4 or 5 guns a year, two of which may be handguns. I almost never sell any and if I do' it's to be replaced by something another gun I wanted. Over the years, that adds up and since I used to build a gun or so every month, I have nearly everything I want.

I can't think of but two I ever bought from a gunshow either private or otherwise. One of them had the firing pin spring and a few other parts missing so I got scammed. If they closed off private sales at gunshows completely, I wouldn't know it unless I read about it.

The bottom line is very few people buy more than one gun a month. The exceptions would be husband/wife buys, or something along that line and even then, it would be a one or two shot a year deal.

So whether it's voluntary or just that most people won't spend three or four thousand dollars a month on guns, killing one gun a month isn't a big deal.