• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

examiner.com - McDonnell going wobbly on shutting down Va. gun check system?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...on-shutting-down-obsolete-va-gun-check-system

SNIP

. . . gun rights supporters cheered when McDonnell came out in support of replacing Virginia’s notoriously slow fee-based gun purchase check system (“V-Check”) with the more or less instant and free National Instant Check System (NICS). . . .

But McDonnell, now all but openly running as Mitt Romney’s shadow Vice-Presidential candidate, may be back pedaling from his earlier promise to sign legislation repealing Virginia’s state based gun check system. At least that’s what Virginia gun rights experts like OpenCarry.org’s John Pierce of Bristol are thinking.

. . .

“So why are Republican Senators now giving SB 612 such a chilly reception in the Senate Courts of Justice committee” asks Pierce? “I can’t believe the Republicans are doing this en masse without specific guidance from Governor McDonnell.”

. . .
John Pierce warned that “if Virginia pours good money after bad into V-Check, and, back ground checks in Virginia don’t become truly ‘instant’ by the November election," gun owners are going to wonder whether a Romney-McDonnell administration would be “reliable” on Second Amendment rights.

TFred

McDonnell's wobbles on background checks are the least of our worries... why in the world is NOBODY talking about Romney's judicial appointments? We could very well see the end of the Second Amendment, no matter which party wins the White House in November.

Romney judicial record: Liberals running wild

Liberty Counsel Action Vice President Matt Barber said Romney’s appointments were constitutional “living document” poster children.

“Many of Romney’s appointments were not only liberal, not only Democrats, but were radical counter-constitutionalists. How on earth can we expect that, as president, he would be any different?” Barber asked rhetorically.

“Actions speak louder than words, and Mitt Romney’s actions as governor scream from the rooftops that he cannot be trusted with this most important of presidential responsibilities.”

Barber cites two specific examples of Romney’s radical appointments.

TFred

Felix

Wobbly McDonnell indeed...

I see he's gone weak kneed on one which many thought was a slam dunk for the Republican governor's signature.

Virginia governor no longer fully supports ultrasounds before abortions

Gov. Robert F. McDonnell is backing off his unconditional support for a bill requiring women to have an ultrasound before an abortion, focusing new attention on one of the most controversial pieces of legislation in Virginia’s General Assembly this year.

Until this weekend, McDonnell (R) and his aides had said the governor would sign the measure if it made it to his desk. McDonnell, who strongly opposes abortion, will no longer make that commitment.

A bill that would require women to undergo an ultrasound before having an abortion has stirred up a fight in Virginia, sparking a massive protest on Capitol Square in Richmond and changing the governor’s stand.

Wonder what he's going to do when bills this forum advocates start hitting his desk since McDonnell seems to be particularly sensitive to protests and criticism. HB940 (Purchase of handguns; eliminate limitation on handgun purchases) should be an early test of whether he's with us. I think the seventh day (to act on a bill) is tomorrow so he's going to have to show his colors soon. Even though he can merely let bills become law without his signature, it'll tell us volumes about his commitment and what he might be like as a long-shot VP.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Felix, I have to leave to do some damage control with the GA soon and then on to Shenandoah, so I can't go into detail but McDonnell showed his colors early on. This is one of the pieces I wrote when he was running.
[h=1]A conference call with Bob McDonnell[/h]
Lord… there were a lot of questions I had for Bob Today. He answered most of them, before I asked.

There was only one statement he made that I take issue with. He said Creigh Deeds was pro gun. Bah Humbug ! Deeds has the talk, but limps like on old lady.
Aside from that, McDonnell told of his vision for energy independence, including wind and solar. “I support a comprehensive approach to energy”.
He spoke about his vision to improve the quality of life for Virginians. He spoke about the difference between this race and the campaign for Attorney General he ran previously.
He said “I am strongly against Card Check because I think it kills jobs”
Further he said “I support Charter Schools”.
As he has stated before, he wants “Virginia to be the first state to drill for oil offshore”. I’m not sure exactly what he means by that, but I’ll know before November.
While talking about his opponents willingness to raise taxes, McDonnell said “I think there is a better way to fund transportation”.
Joe from The Prince William Conservative, mentioned that Deeds had gotten the NRA’s approval, but since then he has changed his position. Joe asked “Do you think he (McDonnell) will get that endorsement this time around?” McDonnell said he was certainly optimistic that he will.
This is where I started getting interested in what Bob was saying. He said that as Attorney General he supported the second amendment because it was the law. He told me the same thing about a different question during our last Bloggers call. One question that keeps coming up is will Bob as Governor, force agencies under his control, to comply with the law, as interpreted by the Attorney’ Generals Office?

The answer keeps coming up…”Yes”.
The rest of the call was discussing Deeds support of large tax increases and the fact that he’s being called a moderate.
During McDonnell’s opening salvo, he again expressed his desire to shrink Virginia Government and make it more responsive and less intrusive. Unfortunately, he didn’t go into detail about his feeling about the Federal Government’s ever increasing meddling, in state affairs.
As always, I view campaign promises with suspicion, but Bob McDonnell seems to have the answers down pat!

The highlighted part refers to VDOF.
Now think about what it took to make him keep that promise and there was a lot involved that you don't know about. He tried his best to not fix the carry issue. It took a lot of pressuring!

Lots more too.

He may turn out to be the best of the bad just as he was in the Governors race....but he will never be the best choice in a good race.

Repeater

McDonnell just capitulated!!

Wobbly McDonnell indeed...

I see he's gone weak kneed on one which many thought was a slam dunk for the Republican governor's signature.

Virginia governor no longer fully supports ultrasounds before abortions

Wonder what he's going to do when bills this forum advocates start hitting his desk since McDonnell seems to be particularly sensitive to protests and criticism. HB940 (Purchase of handguns; eliminate limitation on handgun purchases) should be an early test of whether he's with us. I think the seventh day (to act on a bill) is tomorrow so he's going to have to show his colors soon. Even though he can merely let bills become law without his signature, it'll tell us volumes about his commitment and what he might be like as a long-shot VP.

When the going gets tough .... weak-kneed RINOs run away.

Well, now we see the real bob mcdonnell, a weakling, a nancyboy:

McDonnell rejects mandatory invasive ultrasound
Gov. Bob McDonnell this afternoon said he opposes requiring Virginia women to undergo a mandatory transvaginal ultrasound before having an abortion.

"I believe there is no need to direct by statute that further invasive ultrasound procedures be done," the governor said in a statement.

"Mandating an invasive procedure in order to give informed consent is not a proper role for the state. No person should be directed to undergo an invasive procedure by the state, without their consent, as a precondition to another medical procedure."

McDonnell said he has recommended to the General Assembly a series of amendments to the bill "to explicitly state that no woman in Virginia will have to undergo a transvaginal ultrasound involuntarily."

"I am asking the General Assembly to state in this legislation that only a transabdominal, or external, ultrasound will be required to satisfy the requirements to determine gestational age," McDonnell says in the statement. "Should a doctor determine that another form of ultrasound may be necessary to provide the necessary images and information that will be an issue for the doctor and the patient. The government will have no role in that medical decision," it reads.

The Left know how to play weak GOPers:

* Start a campaign based on a lie

* Get all the Progressives to join in

* Have comedians make a mockery of the GOP

* Simmer and stir the pot

* Watch the GOP fold like a tent

Last edited:

Repeater

Squish alert: warning on gun bills?

Is this enough of a warning?

VA Governor Bob McDonnell Hangs VA GOP Out To Dry
Is he abandoning pro-life legislators as the price of being Mitt's running mate?
Posted by streiff
Wednesday, February 22nd at 10:05AM EST

[UPDATE: I'm informed by someone very much in touch with the Virginia political scene that the root of the problem is the Bob McDonnell's staff are, at the best, pro-life squishes and they are presently negotiating with themselves over the best way of selling out.]

Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell, a Romney supporter and leading contender for the VP spot on a Romney-headed ticket, demonstrated his complete philosophical alignment with Romney yesterday by flipflopping on a bill he has championed and in the process hanging VA GOP delegates out to dry.

For those who haven’t been paying attention, Virginia’s legislature has been going after the abortion industry root and branch. Last year they passed a law requiring aborttoirs to be regulated as if they did what they do: perform a surgical procedure which can be life threatening. This year a bill is being finalized that requires a woman seeking an abortion to see ultrasound pictures of the baby. Somehow this bill, which does not require any medical procedure the woman was not going to receive in the first place, has the pro-abortion lobby in a tizzy. Dahlia Lithwick at Slate has predictably styled this as rape.

Up until yesterday, Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell had unconditionally supported the bill.

Gov. Robert F. McDonnell is backing off his unconditional support for a bill requiring women to have an ultrasound before an abortion, focusing new attention on one of the most controversial pieces of legislation in Virginia’s General Assembly this year.

As the political damage has already been done to the GOP senators who have taken a courageous stand on this issue, one may rightfully ask why a governor who is barred from running for re-election wouldn’t stand behind the very people he encouraged to take up the bill in the first place?

Yes, indeedy. Something is happening.

There is only one explanation that fits all the facts. McDonnell wants to be Mitt Romney’s choice for vice president should Romney almost certainly win the GOP nomination. The ultrasound bill is causing too much controversy and probably has Romney’s handlers wearing brown trousers at the thought of having to actually take a pro-life position in a general election campaign. McDonnell takes to opportunity to look moderate and abandons ship.

In fact, McDonnell’s actions are really a great metaphor for Mitt Romney’s political career.

So, again, we are on the verge of having a defeat snatched from the jaws of victory by someone who appears to be more concerned with what people who will never like him are saying rather than doing the right thing.

Romney -- and his moneybag supporters -- are not pro-gun. Pro-hunting, perhaps, but not pro-gun. You know, common-sense 2nd amendment types.

You've been warned.

Thundar

McDonnell's wobbles on background checks are the least of our worries... why in the world is NOBODY talking about Romney's judicial appointments? We could very well see the end of the Second Amendment, no matter which party wins the White House in November.

Romney judicial record: Liberals running wild

TFred

It is worse than that TFRED. Ask ROmney about the Utah Olympics. The State of UTah allowed the banning of firearms at olympic events with the understanding that Mitt would provide, via his olympic organization, the ability for guns to be checked at the door. Law was passed, but Mitt did not follow through. Yup, the civil rights of gun owners were not important to that gun grabbing SOB. He got the Olympic Gun Ban and gun owners got the Romney SHAFT!

Repeater

It is worse than that TFRED. Ask ROmney about the Utah Olympics. The State of UTah allowed the banning of firearms at olympic events with the understanding that Mitt would provide, via his olympic organization, the ability for guns to be checked at the door. Law was passed, but Mitt did not follow through. Yup, the civil rights of gun owners were not important to that gun grabbing SOB. He got the Olympic Gun Ban and gun owners got the Romney SHAFT!

Ah Geez. I forgot all about that:

Stop the Olympic Gun Ban! No guns, no storage!
by Sarah Thompson, M.D.
Director, Utah Gun Owners Alliance
December 27, 2001

So who can STOP the Olympic gun ban? Governor Leavitt could, but since he's an ardent supporter of gun control, it's not likely he will. So could Mitt Romney, the CEO of the Salt Lake Olympic Committee (SLOC), but he's also known for his support for gun control. While they should hear from you since both are politically ambitious, they're not likely to care about gun owners at the Olympics.

Mr. Mitt Romney
President/Chief Executive Officer
Salt Lake Organizing Committee for the Olympic Winter Games of 2002
299 South Main Street, Suite 1300
Salt Lake City, UT 84111 USA
Phone: 801-212-2002
NOTE: Mr. Romney has made it clear he plans to run for public office, so he needs to hear from the public!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Guns aren't the only thing he's wobbly on

:mad::mad::mad:

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - We're going to have to start paying taxes on our Amazon purchases.
Governor McDonnell struck a big deal Wednesday with the massive Internet retailer.
The debate began after the governor announced plans to build two Amazon distribution centers in Dinwiddie and Chesterfield.
The projects will lead to around 1,000 jobs.
But local retailers complained because Internet companies like Amazon are not required to charge state sales tax like they are.
The Virginia Retail Federation and others argued that once Amazon set up shop here, they too should start collecting sales tax.
Initially the governor resisted the calls to begin collecting the tax, but bills moving forward in the general assembly to force the collection started to gain steam.
Instead of waiting to see how those bills turned out, the governor announced his support of the Senate version of the bill, one Amazon and local retailers support.
The news is good for state coffers, it could mean an additional $24 million to the general fund.
It won't be so good for consumers who are used to shopping online without that additional 5% surcharge.
The bill still needs to pass the House of Representatives, but is expected to pass without a problem.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
The news is good for state coffers, it could mean an additional $24 million to the general fund.
It won't be so good for consumers who are used to shopping online without that additional 5% surcharge.
The bill still needs to pass the House of Representatives, but is expected to pass without a problem.

You're LEGALLY liable for that 5% surcharge anyway via the Consumer's Use Tax. Of course, darn near everyone in VA ignores that...

Roscoe

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You're LEGALLY liable for that 5% surcharge anyway via the Consumer's Use Tax. Of course, darn near everyone in VA ignores that...

Roscoe

Yeah....I know. Iput that law in the same file as not driving within 1000 feet of a school with my gun.
file13.gif

Now I'll have to start buying from ebay and I hate ebay.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That's going to hurt sales I'm sure.
I get at least 4 Amazon deliveries a week and I'm sure I'm not the only one that will stop buying from them.

I guess the farm purchases will be exempt but how do you file the paperwork on line?

Repeater

But local retailers complained because Internet companies like Amazon are not required to charge state sales tax like they are.

Yeah, I heard that on the radio. Another 'Bob for Jobs' sellout. What no one mentions is the fact that so-called " Internet companies" charge S&H that is unnecessary for in-store purchases. So the sales tax will put "Internet companies" at a competitive disadvantage.

Repeater

Should this person be Open Carrying?

Richmond woman became the picture of protest

r0224-abor1

[size=+1]Margaret Doyle, Abortion Rights protester[/size]

Was anyone there carrying? I cam imagine the tense atmosphere may have caused the Capital Police to be nervous about certain folks carrying guns near Bob Marshall. Not that it should; just saying.

I wonder what her premises carry policy might be?

Espresso-A-Go-Go Coffee Catering

Her motto: "We are Everywhere!"

That's our motto, too, right?

Repeater

McDonnell explains his wobblyness: concerns about Fourth Amemdment Rights

Well, okay, but why hasn't he ever expressed concerns about OUR Fourth amendment rights?

What about us?

McDonnell details legal concerns over ultrasound bill
Gov. Bob McDonnell said today that he suggested amendments to weaken the ultrasound mandate legislation after learning more from the medical community about its practices and from Virginia's attorney general about potential legal issues, he said Friday.

“I also got legal advice from various people, including my attorney general, that these kinds of mandatory, invasive requirements might run afoul of Fourth Amendment law,” McDonnell said this morning at ...

The Fourth Amendment protects people from unreasonable searches and seizures.

“Listen, I'm a pro-life governor. I believe that the sanctity of life is critically important.”

University of Virginia political analyst Larry Sabato said after watching the panel discussion that “McDonnell usually is a very even-tempered guy. He doesn’t lose his temper very often. But he was genuinely angry.”

“Because at some level, he knows this is damaging.”

“Because at some level, he knows this is damaging.” -- and that's likely why Bob will never support Campus Carry, K-12 School carry, or Constitutional Carry.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well, okay, but why hasn't he ever expressed concerns about OUR Fourth amendment rights?

What about us?

McDonnell details legal concerns over ultrasound bill

“Because at some level, he knows this is damaging.” -- and that's likely why Bob will never support Campus Carry, K-12 School carry, or Constitutional Carry.

Unfortunately see him as a middle of the road, fence sitter, w/o any strong personal convictions who tries to satisfy too many people and in so doing alienates everyone some. Could be worse though - at least hears the sound of the thundering herd before he gets trampled.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Several VT families ask to meet with governor about gun legislation

http://www.nbc12.com/story/17013882...k-to-meet-with-governor-about-gun-legislation

Goddard..."We've gone through something. We know what happens when the wrong kind of person- just one person gets their hand on two guns."

Will the Gov fold?

What you forget is that you would disarm those that might protect against such violence.

Please, what law has ever stopped a determined criminal? You only disarm the law abiding - whoops, almost forgot that is your goal. :banghead: