• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Aldi Robbery in Milwaukee stopped by armed citizen

hermannr

I love where the shooter comes back at cityboy and says "the shooter wasn't white". I know a couple black men that carry, one that regularly OCs...that takes some B@lls.

There need to be more like him. The "other than white" folk need self protection too...maybe even moreso than us hillbillys that live in the backwoods where no-one comes... A tip of the hat to the shooter, you did good. Now, go get some more practice at the range like you said you would.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
The robber had a shotgun, so it probably was not a legitimate concealed carry.

Aside from the fact he was committing a crime, "probably" isn't even the word for it. Legitimate concealed carry does not apply to shotguns in WI, and the fact that the robber was 20 years old also rules out the possibility.

wild boar

From what I gathered, shots were fired...

This indicates the CCer fired more than once, as there was no mention of the BG discharging his weapon. It was said the BG went into retreat. I wonder how many shots at the BG it took to blow all the glass out of every window of the exit as he ran from the CCer, (OR), if the CCer even blew the glass out. Need more facts, as this is not a very good test case for public intervention as it stands. boar out.

RR_Broccoli

If that guy is the shooter, he needs to shut his mouth (disconnect his keyboard).

Where he was doesn't put him in the "civil immunity" zone from the castle doctrine law.

ESPECIALLY on a forum/internet where there's going to be a long term record, and where he doesn't need to say anything. Brief statement to cops, discussion with detective with lawyer present, and assurances to family he's OK is all he should be doing.

This could backfire on us and him in a big way. This is not the example we need as the first CC justified shooting.

That said, holy brass balls man. Up against a 12 gauge armed man and he's still pissed afterwards. Good shoot.

Captain Nemo

My comment: Two thumbs up for the good guy. He put a lot at risk to protect his family. Two thugs come into a budiness that advertises that the business is a "safe haven" for them. They are carrying and waving shotguns around. They are ominously threatening a clerk and other customers. The good guy fears for his life and the life of his family (from what I read his wife and one or more children were with him). Under those circumstances damn the consequences. What was he supposed to do? Call 911 and ask the crooks to hang around for seven minutes until the cops arrive? If I was shopping with my wife I would do the same except perhaps I'm a better shot. I have had my wife for 52 years. I'm not about to let some snot nosed slimeball take her away.

As for Aldi implyimg that firearms aren't needed in it's store because there are security personnel, unarmed security personnel. They might just as well had hired ex Wal-Mart greeters to hold the door open for the bad guys. I'm not a fan of the unconstitutional Act 35 but one thing the legislature screwed up on is not requiring that any business that denies it's patrons the right to be secure and to defend themselves must provide armed security in order to be immune from civil liability.

Unless something dramatic comes out of the investigation we forum and WCI members must hit the keyboards and exibit a show of support. Not to show support for the fact that the shooter himself may have broken the law but support that what he did was morally correct.

Deathss

I know that the Aldis on 124th and Burleigh is not posted on the outside door. They are posted on the inside doors or 2nd set before you actually get into the store. Anyway, thumbs-up for the customer!

paul@paul-fisher.com

I know that the Aldis on 124th and Burleigh is not posted on the outside door. They are posted on the inside doors or 2nd set before you actually get into the store. Anyway, thumbs-up for the customer!

Every Aldi I have been to has signs on the inside set of doors. The one by me (Delavan) has anti weapon language but refers to an Ohio law.

See http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...an-is-posted&p=1501531&viewfull=1#post1501531 for my original post on it.

I suggest we all (nicely) email Aldi asking them to remove their inefective sign.

Personally, since I haven't been shopping there, I haven't spent over $2500 with them (we used to average $50 a week). I spend that money at Piggly Wiggly, Wal-Mart, Sentry and other grocery stores that are neutral on self-defense.

protias

Does the posting meet the legal requirerments.

943.13(2)
While carrying a firearm, enters or remains in any
part of a nonresidential building, grounds of a nonresidential
building, or land that the actor does not own or
occupy after the owner of the building, grounds, or land,
if that part of the building, grounds, or land has not been
leased to another person, or the occupant of that part of
the building, grounds, or land has notified the actor not
to enter or remain in that part of the building, grounds, or
land while carrying a firearm or with that type of firearm.
This subdivision does not apply to a part of a building,
grounds, or land occupied by the state or by a local governmental
unit, to a privately or publicly owned building
on the grounds of a university or college, or to the
grounds of or land owned or occupied by a university of
college, or, if the firearm is in a vehicle driven or parked
in the parking facility, to any part of a building, grounds,
or land used as a parking facility

Deathss

Does the posting meet the legal requirerments.

Well it looked to be 5x7, but posting on the inside doors seems odd. I usually drive by the entrance to see if stores are posted, but during this particular day, the Family and I walked over from the Lowes store next door. I just walked back out, and got the truck. My wife completed the purchase with the kids.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Don't Talk To The Police

Ordered to report to DA.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/...-suspect-at-aldi-store-tp412ou-138457054.html

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/138468429.html

Of course, nothing in the reports about the armed customer/police claiming that the sign didn't meet the legal requirements.

They can "order" all they want. Without a warrant for his arrest he sure as heck doesn't have to say a word....and even then he doesn't have to say a word. I would NOT volunteer myself to a discussion of my actions with the D.A. The police are fishing for evidence to charge him. At a minimum he had best get a lawyer to go with him if he decides to "talk to the police". Not a good idea.

Cobra469

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/...-suspect-at-aldi-store-tp412ou-138457054.html

"Julie Ketay, a spokeswoman for Aldi in Illinois, said the company is "fully cooperating with the local law enforcement investigation and cannot comment at this time. We are thankful that no customers or employees were injured."

Ketay did not respond to questions about Aldi's firearms policy here or about any security at the store."

Wise choice for them not to respond on their policy. Unfortunately for them their "no weapons" sign clearly states their policy for them.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Excerpted from the TMJ4 article:
James Wells, a regular at the Aldi's, appreciates what the man did, but he argues the law is the law.
"That's the main question. Why did he have a gun you're not suppose to take a concealed weapon inside the store unless you're a police officer?" asked Wells. "Even if he had a gun permit, he wasn't suppose to be in the store with a weapon."
Mr. Wells has obviously never had a shotgun stuck in his face. I certainly hope he never gets a chance to find out what that is like; but if he does, then we'll ask him how he feels about citizens carrying guns for protection.... Actually he sounds like a writer for The Onion; surely nobody can be that stupid. :monkey

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Excerpted from the TMJ4 article:Mr. Wells has obviously never had a shotgun stuck in his face. I certainly hope he gets a chance to find out what that is like; then we'll ask him how he feels about citizens carrying guns for protection.... Actually he sounds like a writer for The Onion; surely nobody can be that stupid. :monkey

Last time I wished someone a taste of their own medicine, I was pounced on by the forum. And rightly so. In sober reflection, I wouldn't want anybody to have a shotgun pointed at their face.

Ok, well, I take that back. I can think of a politician or two it would be a good thing for.

Cobra469

The law is the law. I agree and the I am pretty sure the law also stipulates that the sign must meet certain criteria. One of which is to be placed where it is reasonably visable. I am not sure where exactly it was placed but JSonline reports it was a side window. Seems to me that it is possible this sign was not clearly visable as I have seen several signs like this. I have even seen signs placed at the bottom of a door so that customers rarely see them.

Does anybody know exactly where the sign is and what its diminsions are?