• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it legal to CC at South Florida Fairgrounds in West Palm Beach?

996twint

Is it legal to CC at the fairgrounds in West Palm Beach. There was a shooting at the Fair this past weekend and in the news article it said that weapons were prohibited.
I thought the fairgrounds were public property.

Rich7553

Is it legal to CC at the fairgrounds in West Palm Beach. There was a shooting at the Fair this past weekend and in the news article it said that weapons were prohibited.
I thought the fairgrounds were public property.

They are. It is legal to carry there regardless of what they think.

JeepSeller

Rich and a few others are far better at answering these than I, but, I can summarize to some degree.

The way I understand things, we all know that a private property owner/business can say "no firearms". We may not like it. It may make our heads hurt, but, that's life, we deal with it.

Now, we all also should know that State preemption makes it illegal for any county or city government/organization to govern firearms. Period. Only the State of Florida can prohibit you from carrying your firearm somewhere.

Now, what is not as cut and dry is the question, does that same preemption apply to a private tenant of county/city owned property? ( i.e. the private company running the gun show, renting the city/county owned property) In other words, can the owner of the property (the county/city) give their tenant (the company leasing the fairgrounds to run the gun show) a right they do not have themselves (govern firearms)?

From what I understand, that question hasn't been answered in court yet. Meaning, it's kimd of open to speculation and a whole lot of forum discussions like this. LOL

I do know that Rich and the folks over at Florida Carry are working hard to find the answer, if it's out there.

Rich7553

Rich and a few others are far better at answering these than I, but, I can summarize to some degree.

The way I understand things, we all know that a private property owner/business can say "no firearms". We may not like it. It may make our heads hurt, but, that's life, we deal with it.

Now, we all also should know that State preemption makes it illegal for any county or city government/organization to govern firearms. Period. Only the State of Florida can prohibit you from carrying your firearm somewhere.

Now, what is not as cut and dry is the question, does that same preemption apply to a private tenant of county/city owned property? ( i.e. the private company running the gun show, renting the city/county owned property) In other words, can the owner of the property (the county/city) give their tenant (the company leasing the fairgrounds to run the gun show) a right they do not have themselves (govern firearms)?

From what I understand, that question hasn't been answered in court yet. Meaning, it's kimd of open to speculation and a whole lot of forum discussions like this. LOL

I do know that Rich and the folks over at Florida Carry are working hard to find the answer, if it's out there.

Very good JeepSeller! That indeed is the issue. Florida Carry has been exploring this issue for several months, and have found no case law in modern juris prudence on point. In fact, we have people exploring English Common Law to find precedent there as well.

The question will likely rise to a court challenge or some legislative action (which will probably end up in court as well). There are several factors to consider.

1. Does a private lessee of public property have the right to impose a restriction which the lessor does not have? We believe not. A parallel to this is would a tenant (not residential) be legally allowed to forbid an activity that his landlord has not forbidden? Take for example, a strip mall owned by a development company. Can a store owner designate and enforce parking spaces for his store without permission of the landlord?

2. Does the characteristics of the lease or contract come into play? In other words, if the lessee is "managing" the property on behalf of the lessor (government), are they then considered to be "state actors", subject to the same restrictions as the lessor? What if it's a short term lease, such as when a radio station sponsors a concert in a public park, charges admission, and has their own private security enforcing a firearms ban during the term of the lease? This happened to me in Fort Myers. The police lieutenant I spoke to said that the city considered the park to be "private property" for the duration of the concert.

3. And finally, with regard to gun shows, do we really want to attack that right now? It's irksome to me, but given there are still local governments with unlawful ordinances out there, Florida Carry needs to concentrate limited resources where they will do most good.

But please, continue with the discussion. I'd like to hear all opinions, but preferably those which can be backed up by case law or statute.

Rich7553

Another question on the fairgrounds. When they have the gun show there, can they make you secure your firearm before entering?
I emailed the Fair public relations director and informed him that his quote in the Palm Beach Post is incorrect.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/c...d-after-sunday-shooting-at-south-2137789.html

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I would suggest that right after a shooting isn't the best time to address this issue as emotions run high and can lead to a very negative reaction.

JeepSeller

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I would suggest that right after a shooting isn't the best time to address this issue as emotions run high and can lead to a very negative reaction.

I agree.

We can all stand around, beat our chest, and point to the laws all we like. It takes people to change the way those laws are followed. Even when it requires legal action to push that change.

We all know it's an emotional issue regardless. On both sides. Right after a publicly negative event, those emotions run high and strong...making the fight that much more difficult.

The general population's attention span is about that of a beagle....patience will pay off vs. beating your head against the wall when fresh memories of such an event have more people pushing against that wall. Wait a bit, let something else shiny come along to divert their attention. LOL

im4Christ92

I am curious as to how it will go when I try to carry into the Collier County fair

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

JeepSeller

I am curious as to how it will go when I try to carry into the Collier County fair

Basically, the way I see it, if they don't have metal detectors....keep it concealed and enjoy your evening.

If they do have metal detectors, you'll face a choice.

You can:
1. Go back to your car, disarm, leave firearm in the car, return to fair a few ounces lighter.
2. Go through the metal detectors and, most likely, if you have the brass (and the bankroll), become the much needed test case for this issue.
3. Go home with your firearm and spend that money somewhere else.

Choose wisely. LOL

Rich7553

If I've identified the property correctly (Immokallee Rd. about 10 miles east of I-75, on right, after the road bends to the north), it is county property. The fair association is governed under 616.07 Florida Statutes. You should be allowed to carry. If you do find any "no firearms" signs (take picture if possible), get stopped at the entrance, or anything like that, comply with all instructions, take names/departments, note time/date, try to remember what is said, and send me an e-mail with all pertinent data to rich@floridacarry.org.

Last edited: