Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackhawk serpa level 2 holster?

Blackhawk serpa level 2 holster?

I will be ordering a BH holster today unless i get some negative feedback. Pros/cons?

Practice, practice, practice.
    They're a little akward at first. Once you get used to them they're a breeze.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six..."

[ Kyd: "I think I'm gonna have "13 1/2" tattooed on my shoulder..."

Me: "Why the hell would you do that?"

Kyd: "Thats one judge, 12 jurors, and a half a chance I'm gonna get off..." ]

Some people don't like the way that the release works. Personally I don't have any problems with it and I find that it helps promote putting your trigger finger along the slide while drawing. But some people have incorrectly drawn from the holster which resulted in them curling their finger as opposed to laying it flat, and this curling has led to some NDs as the curled finger proceeded to go into the trigger guard and pull the trigger (I hear this was worse of an issue with the older model of Serpas and the new ones have a finger groove to help people lay their finger straight and use the pad of the finger to release the gun as opposed to curling and using the tip of the finger).

Another thing to remember about the reviews is that a lot of people use the Serpa, which also means there's a greater chance of an improperly trained person doing something improper with it (similar to the stigma about glocks only being used for crime since gangstas favor them). This isn't to discredit the negative reviews of the Serpa, it is simply to remind one to keep it in perspective given how many are used.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=serpa+accidents

At some point "operator error" crosses over into "design assisted operator error" which simply means that the device's design encourages operator error, which boils down to "bad design".

At some point you have enough data points where you stop blaming the operator "It was user error! You need to practice more!" and start thinking, hmmmm, there have just been too many "user errors".

Given the holster being banned from some firearms schools as well as the growing number of "incidents" I think the Serpa holster has crossed over into the "design assisted operator error" region.

This of course is my opinion, and you're free to form your own. I just bought a Safariland 6377 holster and like it a lot.

O2

I've had mine for maybe 3 years now and it's been wonderful. Operator error can and will happen with any holster, if you aren't paying attention you're going to screw up. The holster, IMO, is wonderful. On the draw it places my finger exactly where it needs to be... NOT on the trigger. You can adjust them as well which is nice.

I've had a SERPA for every gun I've carried. I've heard the ND stories as well but I've never had problems with mine. As was posted before, just practice a lot with your gun unloaded and it will become very natural.
    "Ever notice once in a while you come across somebody you shouldn't have f***ed with......That's me." -Clint Eastwood "Gran Torino"

I think enough of the Serpa holsters that I have 4.

I love my Blackhawk SERPA holster. I have a level 2 one for my FNX and my dad has both a level 3 duty holster and a level 2 holster for his P99. Great holsters.

I have one for my P99 and love it. When drawing my finger falls flat against the frame, never in the trigger guard.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

I have a blackhawk serpa 2 that I use with my springfield XD 40 cal and love it. I don't always carry it but if I know I will be in close with strangers I wear it as I know it is secure and people can't just grab my pistol.

I do agree practice practice practice with it, you will find you get use to it quick. I hear people say they know people that shot their feet when drawing do to finger placement but I have never had an issue or have actually heard of anyone shooting their foot while drawing.

It all comes down to personnal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    ...or have actually heard of anyone shooting their foot while drawing.
    Ok, it's not exactly in the foot.

O2

Quote Originally Posted by O2HeN2 View Post
    I remember that video! It was the most amazingly horrible thing ever. That guy is pretty lucky. I don't really understand why he went from using one gun to using another, same thing with the holsters...

I for one, never have any problem drawing my weapon. And I never accidentally roll my finger into the trigger guard. Maybe it depends on the weapon...

At some point "operator error" crosses over into "design assisted operator error" which simply means that the device's design encourages operator error, which boils down to "bad design".

At some point you have enough data points where you stop blaming the operator "It was user error! You need to practice more!" and start thinking, hmmmm, there have just been too many "user errors".

Given the holster being banned from some firearms schools as well as the growing number of "incidents" I think the Serpa holster has crossed over into the "design assisted operator error" region.

This of course is my opinion, and you're free to form your own. I just bought a Safariland 6377 holster and like it a lot.

O2
    AMEN

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_10/11...ml&light=SERPA
    "It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

Using this same logic, the "data points" from DC Metro PD's epidemic of ND's (several of which sent other officers and even several innocent civilians to the ER) the first two years they started using the Glock 17 should "prove" that the Glock is a dangerously ill-conceived design. They have paid out over $1.4 MILLION in damages because of the Glock's "design assisted operator errors". OR maybe it's just that DC Metro has an astoundingly high number of a$$hat officers on the beat that don't know (and don't CARE to get trained in) how to properly handle a Glock...

Couldn't it be that there are just a lot of prideful, know-it-all a$$hats who can't be bothered to get some formal training that bought Serpas and didn't properly train with them? Gee, I don't know, I've certainly never seen anyone on THIS forum that would fit this description...

I carry every day in a Serpa CQC. I have one for my Glock 36 and two for my Para P-14.45. I use them for EDC--OC and CC--and I use them for USPSA competitions too. In over three years of carry, and some pretty rugged use in USPSA matches (including stages that involved rolling and crawling around on the ground) I have NEVER had a single malfunction, failure to seat or failure to release with ANY of my Serpas.

I trust my Serpas to carry my custom Para (built for me by Novak's in WV) safely and securely and it has never failed me.

But most of all, I trust my Serpa with my life, because I know that it works.

Serpa haters can say all they want--I CARRY a Serpa every day, and I have NEVER had a single reason not to trust it.
    Last edited by Dreamer; 02-01-2012 at 01:28 AM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

I've been using a Blackhawk Serpa for several years now and have to register a MAJOR complaint about them:

They don't make one to fit my S&W 629 !!

...aside from that I love it for comfort, retention, and it doesn't mar the finish on my guns.
    Last edited by RockyMtnScotsman; 01-31-2012 at 11:09 PM.

Thank you Dreamer for further highlighting the point I was trying to make about how a lot of people using something (especially untrained people) will lead to a higher number of bad reports.

I mean if 10million people use something and it has a 2% failure rate that would be 200k. And that compared to something that has a 2% failure rate but only 1million people use (so 20k failures) of course the first one is going to "look" worse when not taken in perspective. Throw in untrained/negligent people and they can artificially inflate the failure rate of whatever item they're using.

I've used serpas for a bit but tried the safariland 6378 and liked it better it just felt more secure and looked better to me , can't say anything bad about the serpa tho it works just look @ the safariland if it's not to late
    Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp.

Love mine for EDC, OC of course.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

CQC for everyday where, DeSantis Viper when I go to the opera.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

....wear....I mean....
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Been using my serpa holsters for my glocks for the last 5 years. I haven't shot myself or the ground yet.
    This has been for EDC, and it tactical mulit-day classes. It has never jammed or broken.

With proper use, they are perfect. If someone doesn't know what they are doing, or uses the holster incorrectly, then the chanced for a ND increase.
    Your finger stays straight, not hooked. That solves 100% of the issues, even if you try to slide your finger 'down' when you draw.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnScotsman View Post
    I've been using a Blackhawk Serpa for several years now and have to register a MAJOR complaint about them:

They don't make one to fit my S&W 629 !!

...aside from that I love it for comfort, retention, and it doesn't mar the finish on my guns.
    I'd REALLY like that too...because it should also fit a 329PD, and that would be a sweet, sweet outdoors combo.

I have the Serpa Level 2 holster, and I absolutely love it. Best holster I've had yet, and only cost me about $33, which is great compared to the $85 I have paid for others, including a very nice IWB custom made leather holster. The draw is quick and completely effortless. It's really hard to imagine how someone could get their finger into the trigger guard and pulling the trigger back on withdrawal. If the finger is straight and flat, it's nearly impossible to do. In fact, I dare say if the finger is straight and flat, it is completely impossible to get it to go into the trigger guard and pull back on the trigger. I have no problem trusting my life to a Serpa holster at all, despite all the arguments against it.

I think operator error is the only error. Cars can go out of control, run into houses, flip over and over, etc. but they don't just do that without someone causing it. Someone should have taken Tex Grebner's holster (the fella who shot himself like an idiot on youtube, with an IQ no higher than 90) and did repeated speed draws and close quarters drills to prove it's not the holster, but the operator.

serpa lvl 2

i freaking love my serpa i own a springfield xd9. its a fantastic holster, i have the the belt loop attachment, paddle attachment and even the leg platform. i love this holster i spent altogether a little over 90 not including shipping costs from cheaperthandirt.com. i oc with my serpa all the time, the main feature i love about the holster is the push button to release my firearm to draw im quite good with drawing now. i love it and i recommend buying it.

I have a grey one for my Glock 22. As J_Oliver said, practice as much as possible with it! I personally feel more comfortable with it than any FOBUS holster because of the lock, but it does take some getting used to.
    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast