• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blackhawk serpa level 2 holster?

tpG23

I will be ordering a BH holster today unless i get some negative feedback. Pros/cons?

Aknazer

Some people don't like the way that the release works. Personally I don't have any problems with it and I find that it helps promote putting your trigger finger along the slide while drawing. But some people have incorrectly drawn from the holster which resulted in them curling their finger as opposed to laying it flat, and this curling has led to some NDs as the curled finger proceeded to go into the trigger guard and pull the trigger (I hear this was worse of an issue with the older model of Serpas and the new ones have a finger groove to help people lay their finger straight and use the pad of the finger to release the gun as opposed to curling and using the tip of the finger).

Another thing to remember about the reviews is that a lot of people use the Serpa, which also means there's a greater chance of an improperly trained person doing something improper with it (similar to the stigma about glocks only being used for crime since gangstas favor them). This isn't to discredit the negative reviews of the Serpa, it is simply to remind one to keep it in perspective given how many are used.

O2HeN2

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=serpa+accidents

At some point "operator error" crosses over into "design assisted operator error" which simply means that the device's design encourages operator error, which boils down to "bad design".

At some point you have enough data points where you stop blaming the operator "It was user error! You need to practice more!" and start thinking, hmmmm, there have just been too many "user errors".

Given the holster being banned from some firearms schools as well as the growing number of "incidents" I think the Serpa holster has crossed over into the "design assisted operator error" region.

This of course is my opinion, and you're free to form your own. I just bought a Safariland 6377 holster and like it a lot.

O2

Cracker

I've had mine for maybe 3 years now and it's been wonderful. Operator error can and will happen with any holster, if you aren't paying attention you're going to screw up. The holster, IMO, is wonderful. On the draw it places my finger exactly where it needs to be... NOT on the trigger. You can adjust them as well which is nice.

G30Mike

I've had a SERPA for every gun I've carried. I've heard the ND stories as well but I've never had problems with mine. As was posted before, just practice a lot with your gun unloaded and it will become very natural.

JesterP99

I love my Blackhawk SERPA holster. I have a level 2 one for my FNX and my dad has both a level 3 duty holster and a level 2 holster for his P99. Great holsters.

DocWalker

I have a blackhawk serpa 2 that I use with my springfield XD 40 cal and love it. I don't always carry it but if I know I will be in close with strangers I wear it as I know it is secure and people can't just grab my pistol.

I do agree practice practice practice with it, you will find you get use to it quick. I hear people say they know people that shot their feet when drawing do to finger placement but I have never had an issue or have actually heard of anyone shooting their foot while drawing.

It all comes down to personnal preference.

JesterP99

I remember that video! It was the most amazingly horrible thing ever. That guy is pretty lucky. I don't really understand why he went from using one gun to using another, same thing with the holsters...

I for one, never have any problem drawing my weapon. And I never accidentally roll my finger into the trigger guard. Maybe it depends on the weapon...

SGB

At some point "operator error" crosses over into "design assisted operator error" which simply means that the device's design encourages operator error, which boils down to "bad design".

At some point you have enough data points where you stop blaming the operator "It was user error! You need to practice more!" and start thinking, hmmmm, there have just been too many "user errors".

Given the holster being banned from some firearms schools as well as the growing number of "incidents" I think the Serpa holster has crossed over into the "design assisted operator error" region.

This of course is my opinion, and you're free to form your own. I just bought a Safariland 6377 holster and like it a lot.

O2

AMEN

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_10/119919_FLETC_bans_the_Serpa.html&light=SERPA

Dreamer

Using this same logic, the "data points" from DC Metro PD's epidemic of ND's (several of which sent other officers and even several innocent civilians to the ER) the first two years they started using the Glock 17 should "prove" that the Glock is a dangerously ill-conceived design. They have paid out over $1.4 MILLION in damages because of the Glock's "design assisted operator errors". OR maybe it's just that DC Metro has an astoundingly high number of a$$hat officers on the beat that don't know (and don't CARE to get trained in) how to properly handle a Glock...

Couldn't it be that there are just a lot of prideful, know-it-all a$$hats who can't be bothered to get some formal training that bought Serpas and didn't properly train with them? Gee, I don't know, I've certainly never seen anyone on THIS forum that would fit this description...

I carry every day in a Serpa CQC. I have one for my Glock 36 and two for my Para P-14.45. I use them for EDC--OC and CC--and I use them for USPSA competitions too. In over three years of carry, and some pretty rugged use in USPSA matches (including stages that involved rolling and crawling around on the ground) I have NEVER had a single malfunction, failure to seat or failure to release with ANY of my Serpas.

I trust my Serpas to carry my custom Para (built for me by Novak's in WV) safely and securely and it has never failed me.

But most of all, I trust my Serpa with my life, because I know that it works.

Serpa haters can say all they want--I CARRY a Serpa every day, and I have NEVER had a single reason not to trust it.

Last edited:

RockyMtnScotsman

I've been using a Blackhawk Serpa for several years now and have to register a MAJOR complaint about them:

They don't make one to fit my S&W 629 !!

...aside from that I love it for comfort, retention, and it doesn't mar the finish on my guns.

Last edited:

Aknazer

Thank you Dreamer for further highlighting the point I was trying to make about how a lot of people using something (especially untrained people) will lead to a higher number of bad reports.

I mean if 10million people use something and it has a 2% failure rate that would be 200k. And that compared to something that has a 2% failure rate but only 1million people use (so 20k failures) of course the first one is going to "look" worse when not taken in perspective. Throw in untrained/negligent people and they can artificially inflate the failure rate of whatever item they're using.

jwinkeler

I've used serpas for a bit but tried the safariland 6378 and liked it better it just felt more secure and looked better to me , can't say anything bad about the serpa tho it works just look @ the safariland if it's not to late