• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

5 US urban counties lead 'Terror Hot Spots' list, but rural areas not exempt

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Excerpt said:
The largest number of events clustered around major cities:
  • Manhattan, New York (343 attacks)
  • Los Angeles County, Calif. (156 attacks)
  • Miami-Dade County, Fla. (103 attacks)
  • San Francisco County, Calif. (99 attacks)
  • Washington, D.C. (79 attacks).

While large, urban counties such as Manhattan and Los Angeles have remained hot spots of terrorist activities across decades, the START researchers discovered that smaller, more rural counties such as Maricopa County, Ariz. - which includes Phoenix - have emerged as hot spots in recent years as domestic terrorism there has increased.

The START researchers found that 65 of the nation's 3,143 counties were "hot spots" of terrorism.
http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-01-urban-counties-terror-hot-rural.html

http://start.umd.edu/start/publications/research_briefs/LaFree_Bersani_HotSpotsOfUSTerrorism.pdf 36 pages 1 MB

H

Herr Heckler Koch

"Attack" (220 instances) not defined

Terrorism
The definition of terrorism used by the GTD is: the threatened or actual use of illegal force, directed against civilian targets, by non-state actors, in order to attain a political, economic, religious or social goal, through fear, coercion or intimidation.3 It is important to note that the classification of an event as terrorism depends as much on threats as the actual use of violence. For example, instances in which individuals seize an aircraft and threaten to blow it up unless their demands are met are defined as terrorist events. Note also that by specifying the threatened or actual use of force the definition of terrorism used by the GTD excludes hoaxes.

SFCRetired

Terrorism
The definition of terrorism used by the GTD is: the threatened or actual use of illegal force, directed against civilian targets, by non-state actors, in order to attain a political, economic, religious or social goal, through fear, coercion or intimidation.3 It is important to note that the classification of an event as terrorism depends as much on threats as the actual use of violence. For example, instances in which individuals seize an aircraft and threaten to blow it up unless their demands are met are defined as terrorist events. Note also that by specifying the threatened or actual use of force the definition of terrorism used by the GTD excludes hoaxes.

That's rather strange (excluding hoaxes) because it would seem to me that the hoaxes could conceivably do as much damage as a threatened or real attack simply by causing the expenditure of resources. Feed the system enough hoaxes, and remember the police and fire pretty much have to treat the hoax as real, and you will wear down the personnel and wear out the equipment. Then, when the terrorists actually do something, the police and fire, being tired, will get careless and be subject to many more casualties.

I would have to include even the hoaxes in that definition.

Jack House

Right, let's further expand the definition of terrorists and terrorism, because expanding it to include vets totally was not enough!

since9

Campaign Veteran
Veterans are no more likely to go berserk than your average citizen. If you examine the perps involved in the last thirty years of massacres here in the U.S., the "veteran" tag is nearly non-existent.

Jack House

Veterans are no more likely to go berserk than your average citizen. If you examine the perps involved in the last thirty years of massacres here in the U.S., the "veteran" tag is nearly non-existent.
Tell that to the FBI, not the choir.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Don't have time to read the details at the moment...

Quick question: how do they quantify "attacks"? What constitutes an "attack"?

Good question. After 911 I know of a state worker that tried to poison his boss and it was recorded as a terrorist attack. In the good old days it would have just been attempted murder. I suspect most of these "attacks" are anything but terrorist related.

hermannr

I know there were several enviro-terrorist attacks here in WA in the 70's and 80's. Example: Jordan River area of Skagit County, a group of "friends of the earth" set fire to a logging outfit on private land that was (they thought) was too close the the Glacier Peak wilderness. The fire they started in the logging outfits equipment ended up going way up into the wilderness. This happened in the 70's. Or the envro-terrorist burning of the "Street of Dreams" in Woodenville. (2008) Didn't see either of these listed?