Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Gun a Month: "Let's be serious"

One Gun a Month: "Let's be serious"

House likely to pass one-gun-a-month repeal Wednesday
    The Virginia House of Delegates is expected Wednesday to approve repealing the state's one handgun a month law with the state Senate likely to follow suit Thursday.

After significant debate Tuesday, House Bill 940, sponsored by Del. L. Scott Lingamfelter, R-Prince William, advanced on a voice vote to its final reading.

Del. Patrick A. Hope, D-Arlington, said he feared a return to the gun-running of the 1990s.

"We were the gun-running capital of the nation," he said. "Let's be serious, is one gun a month really an undue burden for our constituents?"
    Yes, it is a burden. Who are you to judge, Hope?

i watched that nonsense today on the live feed.
    “For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

Quote Originally Posted by mk4 View Post
    i watched that nonsense today on the live feed.
    Then you heard Fightin' Joe:

Virginia House advances one-gun-a-month repeal
    "One-gun-a-month is no longer needed," Lingamfelter said. "It has been obviated by actions of this body over the last 20 years."

But Del. Joe Morrissey, D-Henrico, said a repeal would erase nearly two decades of progress in curbing gun trafficking from Virginia to the Northeast.

"There will be nothing to stop a purchaser from purchasing nine or 10 Glocks and taking them to New York or Philadelphia and selling them for five or six times the amount," Morrissey said.

Del. Todd Gilbert, R-Woodstock, said government rationing of firearms violates the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms. He also suggested such efforts are futile.

"Criminals, gang members, people who intend to use guns for illicit purposes will always get their hands on guns, and attempts to stop that are folly," he said.
    Nine or 10 Glocks -- how awful!!

Why not 20?

Takeaway quote: "government rationing of firearms violates the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms."

yeah, i watched his nonsense, too.
    “For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

I guess it doesn't matter to them that all multiple handgun purchases are reported to ATF.

the real question is, what does the ATF do when they receive a report? how many guns does a person have to buy before the ATF goes to "discuss" it?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Snazuolu View Post
    the real question is, what does the ATF do when they receive a report? how many guns does a person have to buy before the ATF goes to "discuss" it?
    9 or 10 Glocks?

So the bad guys get 9 or 10 people to buy guns for them and do not set off any alarms. But if this passes they will be lazy and just send one guy to buy the guns and hopefully get reported and caught.

I know someone that ordered a pallet of ammunition. Someone with a badge (It was years ago and I cannot which agency it was.) knocked on his door a few days later and asked him if the ammo was for him. When he told them that it was they just said OK and left.

Quote Originally Posted by Snazuolu View Post
    Depends on whether you walk them across the border or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    Then you heard Fightin' Joe:

Virginia House advances one-gun-a-month repeal

Nine or 10 Glocks -- how awful!!

Why not 20?

Takeaway quote: "government rationing of firearms violates the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms."
    5 or 6 times the amount paid for a glock??? Man, them Yankees are really stupid!

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post
    5 or 6 times the amount paid for a glock??? Man, them Yankees are really stupid!
    You can't be just figuring that out!

Like the official Virginia Motto says..."Them boys ain't right!

They do like the Glocks though. They're just right for knuckles up shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Only if you get the right sites!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	home_boy.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	7869

Regular Member Old Virginia Joe's Avatar
    why don't they just modify it to say that only Virginia residents can purchase > 1 pistol per month here, so the dang Yankees cannot come down here and buy for the homie gangstas back in NYC? Seems like that would be the way to go . . . .
    VCDL, Army Vet, Virginia Native

Hey, Libtards, it's the "Bill of Rights," not the "Bill of Needs" . . . . .

If the 2A does not apply to modern weapons, then the 1A does not apply to modern communications like the Internet! How do you like them apples!?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Virginia Joe View Post
    why don't they just modify it to say that only Virginia residents can purchase > 1 pistol per month here, so the dang Yankees cannot come down here and buy for the homie gangstas back in NYC? Seems like that would be the way to go . . . .
    Cause then they'll all go to NOVA, become residents, and....reproduce
    Then their kids will go to school, shoot a buch of people and we'll get blamed.
    Last edited by peter nap; 02-01-2012 at 08:50 AM.

Cause then they'll all go to NOVA, become residents, and....reproduce
    Then their kids will go to school, shoot a buch of people and we'll get blamed.
    Hell, how is that any different than the present reality?

If the 2A does not apply to modern weapons, then the 1A does not apply to modern communications like the Internet! How do you like them apples!?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Federal law already puts limits on the purchase of firearms by out-of-state individuals. A non-resident can not simply walk into a Virginia gun store and walk out with a firearm or firearms. The gun(s) have to be transferred to a dealer in the purchasers home state, correct? I can't look up a cite right now, but if someone doesn't beat me to it, I will do so when I can.

Hell, how is that any different than the present reality?
    Now they go back to Da Ol Nay-ba-houd when they're done.

Hell, they already feel at home in NOVA.

"Hey Vinnie, look at the beautiful sun peeking through the smog. Just like Da Ol Nay-ba-houd. This is a Faw*ing beautiful place
    "

You can't be just figuring that out!

Like the official Virginia Motto says..."Them boys ain't right!

Actually, I was making fun of Morrissey's dumb comment.

"There will be nothing to stop a purchaser from purchasing nine or 10 Glocks and taking them to New York or Philadelphia and selling them for five or six times the amount," Morrissey said.

Is HE really that stupid to think criminals would pay that much? I know criminals are not smart, but I never met one that dumb, and I have met quite a few.

Quote Originally Posted by VApatriot View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Federal law already puts limits on the purchase of firearms by out-of-state individuals. A non-resident can not simply walk into a Virginia gun store and walk out with a firearm or firearms. The gun(s) have to be transferred to a dealer in the purchasers home state, correct? I can't look up a cite right now, but if someone doesn't beat me to it, I will do so when I can.
    You're basically correct, but the prohibition only applies to handguns.

Roscoe
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post
    Actually, I was making fun of Morrissey's dumb comment.

Is HE really that stupid to think criminals would pay that much? I know criminals are not smart, but I never met one that dumb, and I have met quite a few.
    All joking aside Roscoe, he is that stupid.
    Think about it, a Commonwealths Attorney that engaged in not one but several fist fights in the court room. He tried to kill (The Supreme Court's words, not mine) a Contractor because he couldn't get to his job right away, then took the still breathing man to the ER where he told them he had fallen. He was disbarred and moved to Australia and got a job teaching law after telling them he was a lawyer in good standing.

I took a video of him in a Committee meeting where he discounted a VCDL members comments because "Her Country of birth was not the United States)

Yeah...He's really that stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by VApatriot View Post
    I don't know if this is true, but this (what you said) is what I am talking about. If it can be shown that we already have a law which prevents people from coming south and stocking up on arms to be resold on the streets of the wicked northeast cities, then then it is obvious we ALREADY have a law against it, and we just need to enforce what we have, and the one gun per month gun was bogus and un needed from the beginning. Does this make sense to any one else?

All joking aside Roscoe, he is that stupid.
    I don't think you meant to address that to me
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe13 View Post
    You're basically correct, but the prohibition only applies to handguns.
    You are correct, Roscoe. My slight confusion was as the result of once purchasing a shotgun at a gun show here in Virginia from a dealer from Maryland, and then being told that I had to pay another $15 to have the gun transferred to a VA dealer at the show. Sub-section (b) of the code specifies that the exception for long-guns only applies while on the dealers actual premises.

I don't know if this is true, but this (what you said) is what I am talking about. If it can be shown that we already have a law which prevents people from coming south and stocking up on arms to be resold on the streets of the wicked northeast cities, then then it is obvious we ALREADY have a law against it, and we just need to enforce what we have, and the one gun per month gun was bogus and un needed from the beginning. Does this make sense to any one else?
    Here's the Federal code:

§ 478.29 Out-of-State acquisition of firearms by nonlicensees.

No person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, shall transport into or receive in the State where the person resides (or if a corporation or other business entity, where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State: Provided, That the provisions of this section:

(a) Shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State,

(b) Shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a rifle or shotgun obtained from a licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector in a State other than the transferee's State of residence in an over-the-counter transaction at the licensee's premises obtained in conformity with the provisions of § 478.96(c) and

(c) Shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with the provisions of §§ 478.30 and 478.97.

They could actually SAVE lives if the law read "pack of cigarettes" instead of guns. That would go over really well in VA. But, think of the children!
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by speed41ae View Post
    I know someone that ordered a pallet of ammunition. Someone with a badge (It was years ago and I cannot which agency it was.) knocked on his door a few days later and asked him if the ammo was for him. When he told them that it was they just said OK and left.
    Also none of their business.

I would have told him so. I hope everyone in present company would do the same.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast