• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

One Gun a Month: "Let's be serious"

Old Virginia Joe

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Federal law already puts limits on the purchase of firearms by out-of-state individuals. A non-resident can not simply walk into a Virginia gun store and walk out with a firearm or firearms. The gun(s) have to be transferred to a dealer in the purchasers home state, correct? I can't look up a cite right now, but if someone doesn't beat me to it, I will do so when I can.

I don't know if this is true, but this (what you said) is what I am talking about. If it can be shown that we already have a law which prevents people from coming south and stocking up on arms to be resold on the streets of the wicked northeast cities, then then it is obvious we ALREADY have a law against it, and we just need to enforce what we have, and the one gun per month gun was bogus and un needed from the beginning. Does this make sense to any one else?

VApatriot

You're basically correct, but the prohibition only applies to handguns.

You are correct, Roscoe. My slight confusion was as the result of once purchasing a shotgun at a gun show here in Virginia from a dealer from Maryland, and then being told that I had to pay another $15 to have the gun transferred to a VA dealer at the show. Sub-section (b) of the code specifies that the exception for long-guns only applies while on the dealers actual premises.

I don't know if this is true, but this (what you said) is what I am talking about. If it can be shown that we already have a law which prevents people from coming south and stocking up on arms to be resold on the streets of the wicked northeast cities, then then it is obvious we ALREADY have a law against it, and we just need to enforce what we have, and the one gun per month gun was bogus and un needed from the beginning. Does this make sense to any one else?

Here's the Federal code:

§ 478.29 Out-of-State acquisition of firearms by nonlicensees.

No person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, shall transport into or receive in the State where the person resides (or if a corporation or other business entity, where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State: Provided, That the provisions of this section:

(a) Shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State,

(b) Shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a rifle or shotgun obtained from a licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector in a State other than the transferee's State of residence in an over-the-counter transaction at the licensee's premises obtained in conformity with the provisions of § 478.96(c) and

(c) Shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with the provisions of §§ 478.30 and 478.97.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
They could actually SAVE lives if the law read "pack of cigarettes" instead of guns. That would go over really well in VA. But, think of the children!

wylde007

I know someone that ordered a pallet of ammunition. Someone with a badge (It was years ago and I cannot which agency it was.) knocked on his door a few days later and asked him if the ammo was for him. When he told them that it was they just said OK and left.
Also none of their :cuss: business.

I would have told him so. I hope everyone in present company would do the same.

USNA69

What about the "T" in BATF?

I guess it doesn't matter to them that all multiple handgun purchases are reported to ATF.

... as in "Tobacco". I wonder if alarm bells go off at BATF, if a Virginian purchases 10 or more cartons of cigarettes. You just know that those cigs are headed to NYC for illicit resale. Does the tobacconist have to report such sales to ATF? Has Mayor Bloomberg decried the flood of cheap cigarettes into NYC for illegal sale?

Just askin'

p.publius

Yankees Ain't Right???

5 or 6 times the amount paid for a glock??? Man, them Yankees are really stupid!

Hey! Vermont and for the most part, New Hampshire have it right! And a TRUE Yankee is from states that are bounded by New York, Canada and the Atlantic Ocean. :banghead:

This is a classic issue of supply and demand. In New York and New Jersey you have to jump through so many hoops that buying a gun is painful (ask a DC resident). If they made peanuts as hard to get as guns, I'll bet that there would be Virginians chomping at the bit to sell goobers to those ersatz "Yankees." :shocker:

VApatriot

But Del. Joe Morrissey, D-Henrico, said a repeal would erase nearly two decades of progress in curbing gun trafficking from Virginia to the Northeast.

"There will be nothing to stop a purchaser from purchasing nine or 10 Glocks and taking them to New York or Philadelphia and selling them for five or six times the amount," Morrissey said.

I mean this slightly sarcastically, but isn't this ultra gloom-and-doom scenario still win, win for Virginia? If guns are now going to be purchased by the car load, won't that give a very nice boost to our economy? It would also mean that criminals will continue to conduct their "business" in places other than the Commonwealth. If Bloomberg and his ilk really want to stop "gun-running" and other crime in their region, they should take the profit out of it by decriminalizing the purchase and possession of firearms, and then spend more time focusing in on actual criminal behavior.

In all seriousness, I'm extremely happy to see this stupid law go, if for no reason but to piss off Bloomberg and improve (lower) Virginia's Brady rating.

mk4

morrissey just got done yammering away on the house floor about feeling like not getting the answers he wanted yesterday. why do the voters elect these blowhard people?!?

mk4

now he's yammering away on hb940, the one hg/month bill. not sure how long this going to go on. :banghead:

The Wolfhound

Truth and logic mean nothing

We all just know "Gunz iz bad!" The oposition is all about emotion and facts and logic just get in the way of their pretty petty oratory. If there were a market for $2500.00-$3000.00 Glocks in NY, it would be being filled now. Filled from every state in the country. I doubt that the price is unlikely to come anywhere near the reality of competition from stolen guns which are the primary ones trafficed. I guess Fightin' Joe fluncked ECON.

mk4

complete flunkie might be accurate description.
watching the action today was like watching something from hollywood. kinda makes sense since we know which side of the aisle they sit on.

2a4all

We all just know "Gunz iz bad!" The oposition is all about emotion and facts and logic just get in the way of their pretty petty oratory. If there were a market for $2500.00-$3000.00 Glocks in NY, it would be being filled now. Filled from every state in the country. I doubt that the price is unlikely to come anywhere near the reality of competition from stolen guns which are the primary ones trafficed. I guess Fightin' Joe fluncked ECON.

Besides, selling illegal guns on such a black market is extremely risky for both parties. The buyer, with all that cash in his/her pocket ($25K for 10 of these Glocks) would be a tempting target for the seller, and conversely, the buyer could arrange to hijack the seller's load.

Either way, the surviving half of the thug(s) could end up with both the guns and the money!

Repeater

Good for Crack Addicts!

now he's yammering away on hb940, the one hg/month bill. not sure how long this going to go on. :banghead:

House approves bill to repeal one-gun-a-month
"If this bill is passed, an individual can go into any gun store and buy an unlimited number of guns," warned Del. Joseph D, Morrissey, D-Henrico moments before the vote.

"Let's be clear what's going to happen," Morrissey added. "Some crack addict is going to be given half a gram of coke, he is going to be given a Virginia driver's license…and he will go into a place and he will buy nine or 10 Glocks or 357s or whatever.…and we will return to the days where we are the gun capitol of the South."

.... Or whatever?

Yes, let's become the Gun Capitol of the South!

Marco

I'm going to need to find another excuse to support my buying habits.
Telling my wife that buying one gun a month was the laws isn't going to work anymore.