• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Drinking and Carrying - something you should consider before you do!

KBCraig

What if you do have to shoot someone while carrying and you have been drinking?...
If you are under the influence and you are required to protect your life or someone else’s, the first consideration of the investigating officers and city or county prosecuting attorney will be; would you have shot the person if you were not under the influence.
The first and only legal consideration will be whether or not the shooting was justified.

Civil suits and publicity are a different matter.

protias

And similarly, your homeowner's insurance will not defend you; they will pay out to the person suing you and raise your premiums.
Better to be safe than sorry!
Tony@IdahoOpenCarry.org

False. Most states have castle doctrine, so you are protected from being sued. I've of at least one insurance company in WI that will protect you if you are sued.

gunns

That is logical fallacy, an example does not extend to the general. The only way to prove everyone is stupid after drinking is to show by exhaustion, or in other words show each and every person is stupid after drinking. Being drunk does not make me do stupid stuff. You might be stupid, but don't extend your stupidity to me. My inner ear balance might be impaired by large quantities of alcohol, but my judgement is not.

I was talking about myself if you had read it correctly. If you think you can get drunk and OC, knock yourself out.

protias

I was talking about myself if you had read it correctly. If you think you can get drunk and OC, knock yourself out.

I've drank and home and carried. Guess what, my judgment didn't change. If one is not able to drink and carry, they should not put their restrictions on someone else who can.

XD9mmFMJ

Never give up your right to self defense. It's legal and lawful to drink alcohol and consume other substances in some places. It's also legal and lawful to defend yourself from harm at any time, regardless of circumstances. Can anyone define a circumstance where it's not ok to defend yourself?

The opinion of the general public does not magically erase your right to self defense. This right comes from the creator, not from a bill of rights, a constitution, a judge, or any other entity. I wish Americans would remember that we are SUPPOSED to be sovereign, not slaves. You may concern yourself with what some soccer mom, or even some legislator (criminal) thinks of you and your right to self defense, but I won't.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Missouri Revised Statutes
Chapter 571
Weapons Offenses
Section 571.030

Unlawful use of weapons--exceptions--penalties.

(5) Has a firearm or projectile weapon readily capable of lethal use on his or her person, while he or she is intoxicated, and handles or otherwise uses such firearm or projectile weapon in either a negligent or unlawful manner or discharges such firearm or projectile weapon unless acting in self-defense;

I cannot remember the last time I was intoxicated. I have been in war zones, drunk at times, and armed with a variety of tools. That said, I am a bit more mature and I don't get knackered in public. I do not change my lifestyle because I am armed any more than when I carry a cell phone. When I go out to dinner or stop in a restaurant I do indulge in adult beverage. I act like everyone else, a normal guy out having a meal. Be Calm, Carry On!

va_tazdad

Nothing to consider

If you are going to carry, don't drink.

If you are going to drink, don't carry.

Guns and alcohol do not mix well.

God forbid anything should happen. You will come out on the losing end.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Depends on your definition of losing:

1. I am NOT carrying a defensive weapon and have a glass of wine with my wife at dinner. On the way out to the parking lot, we get attacked, I get to witness her getting viciously raped and killed and I end up in a coma.
2. I am carrying a defensive weapon and have a glass of wine with my wife at dinner. On the way out to the parking lot, we get attacked. I put 6 well placed 9mm slugs into center mass of the bad guy. I get arrested and charged with carrying under the influence (blew 0.01%). I get convicted and end up in jail.

Which one is better? Personally, I'd rather have 'none of the above' but I'd pick 2 over 1 any day of the week.

OC for ME

Depends on your definition of losing:

1. I am NOT carrying a defensive weapon and have a glass of wine with my wife at dinner. On the way out to the parking lot, we get attacked, I get to witness her getting viciously raped and killed and I end up in a coma.
2. I am carrying a defensive weapon and have a glass of wine with my wife at dinner. On the way out to the parking lot, we get attacked. I put 6 well placed 9mm slugs into center mass of the bad guy. I get arrested and charged with carrying under the influence (blew 0.01%). I get convicted and end up in jail.

Which one is better? Personally, I'd rather have 'none of the above' but I'd pick 2 over 1 any day of the week.
Not in Missouri you won't.

RSMo 571.030.1(5) Has a firearm or projectile weapon readily capable of lethal use on his or her person, while he or she is intoxicated, and handles or otherwise uses such firearm or projectile weapon in either a negligent or unlawful manner or discharges such firearm or projectile weapon unless acting in self-defense;

If you hold this 'guns & booze don't mix....ever' nonsense, you deserve your fate. Now, those of you who have gone 'on the wagon' because you carry, good for you. I choose not to let a unfounded fear of 'X' happening infringe upon my liberty.

We are all responsible adults and likely more responsible than the average citizen because we choose to exercise our natural right of self-defense with a firearm. Yet, the 'no guns & booze' crowd honestly believe we all lose all of our responsible behaviors once we take a wee nip.....simply mind boggling.

Personally, I think the 'no guns & booze' crowd, and you know who you are, are a little too....[Forum Rule 6].

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

If you hold this 'guns & booze don't mix....ever' nonsense, you deserve your fate. Now, those of you who have gone 'on the wagon' because you carry, good for you. I choose not to let a unfounded fear of 'X' happening infringe upon my liberty.

We are all responsible adults and likely more responsible than the average citizen because we choose to exercise our natural right of self-defense with a firearm. Yet, the 'no guns & booze' crowd honestly believe we all lose all of our responsible behaviors once we take a wee nip.....simply mind boggling.

Personally, I think the 'no guns & booze' crowd, and you know who you are, are a little too....[Forum Rule 6].

Neither strongly pro or con on this issue - there are good and valid arguments on both sides.

For me the problem is easily solved w/o major discourse: I will do what is best for me and mine. Each of us must decide individually what that may be. It's no biggy.

OC for ME

Neither strongly pro or con on this issue - there are good and valid arguments on both sides.

For me the problem is easily solved w/o major discourse: I will do what is best for me and mine. Each of us must decide individually what that may be. It's no biggy.
Ditto..... it is funny to read a pro liberty crowd discuss this issue....it is even more funny that partake in the discussion....or is it called irony?

FallonJeeper

Your normal life and rights do not end with a drink of an alcoholic beverage. Be aware of state laws. In Nevada, the law actually defines a legal blood alcohol limit to legally carry, (.10) as compared to (.08 for driving).

I respect your decision to not drink and carry/carry and drink. But please respect my right to defend myself if I've had a drink. I don't drink to excess or intoxication even close to the legal limit. We are adults and have to make and live with our own decisions.

The "you've had a drink, you're automatically in trouble if you shoot somebody" thing is a fairy tale. Regardless if you've had a drink, or not, it's going to be a bad day.

If you get in a situation where self defense becomes key, whether you punch, pepper spray, or shoot your way out of the situation, is gotta be justified. If you aren't sloppy drunk, being stupid with a gun, you probably have little to worry about.

Superlite27

How is getting murdered while unarmed considered to be coming out on the winning end?

....because if you've had a drink, you deserve to be rendered defenseless and shot to death, right?

Last edited:

HighFlyingA380

Correct me if I'm wrong (unfortunately more often than not), but doesn't that only apply to OC? I seem to recall hearing somewhere that it is illegal to consume while concealing. (ps. love the slick way around the rules :lol:)

I agree with most on here. Simply drinking is not the problem. It's drinking too much. I often have a beer or two with dinner while carrying. No problem. Now, I would never get fall-down drunk (although legal), because that's just irresponsible.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Correct me if I'm wrong (unfortunately more often than not), but doesn't that only apply to OC? I seem to recall hearing somewhere that it is illegal to consume while concealing. (ps. love the slick way around the rules :lol:)

In WI it is very convoluted. You can oc and drink in a class-b (place that serves alcohol by the drink) with permission of the licensee. You can oc or cc as long as you have a ccl without permission as long as the place isn't posted as long as you don't drink. (for citations, 941.237 in general, specifically (3)(g) and (3)(cx)).

No matter what, you cannot be 'materially impaired' (no legal definition) while carrying at all.