• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conservative Open Carry Demonstration

Tice2001

I will be locating to Arizona soon, fortuitously having secured a job in this (free) state and bidding adieu to my home state of CA which has hilariously become known as the People's Republic of Kalifornia, and for good reason. To paraphrase radio talk show host Michael Savage, in California, liberalism is not just a mental disorder, it's a pandemic...

Though I probably won't take advantage of the liberal (in a good way) open carry privilege in AZ all the time (I don't really want to strap on the magnum just to walk down the block to return a video), I do look forward to trying it out someday.

The only handgun in my arsenal these days -- because I flatly refuse to buy guns in California anymore -- is a good old S & W Model 28 .357 with a 6" barrel. Carrying this in public, I believe, is a perfectly reasonable and balanced way to demonstrate my willingness to wear a holstered pistol on my side while at the same time showing empathy for those who aren't all that comfortable seeing civilians toting guns around town; in other words, it's just a classic six-shot revolver, folks, not a Glock.

My goal is to show support for my right to bear arms, but not to make people uncomfortable or scare them. More importantly, I wish to dissuade police officers from feeling overly compelled to step up to me to ask me why I'm carrying. If I was carrying something more appropriate to law enforcement or military combat, I'd kind of expect it...

That said, my question is this... do many people open carry in the more metropolitan areas of Arizona, like downtown Phoenix for example, or is doing so looked upon as a little much in these more densely populated areas?

gunns

You may want to post this in the Arizona forum. I am glad to hear you are moving there from CA though. It is more laid back then CA when it comes to certain things like OC. One word of warning though, treat everyone with respect there. I have been there many times and Arizonans don't take allot of crap from anyone. Native Arizonans will be kind, friendly and open but if you cross them they will put you down pretty quick. There are allot of out of towners in AZ and they do tend to dislike CA, allot.

Hey Arizonans don't take offense to my comments, I luv ya, that's why I keep going back there. I was just saying some behavior that may be ok in those Lib states don't go over very well in AZ. Thank goodness.

Last edited:

carsontech

Activist Member
I believe, is a perfectly reasonable and balanced way to demonstrate my willingness to wear a holstered pistol on my side while at the same time showing empathy for those who aren't all that comfortable seeing civilians toting guns around town; in other words, it's just a classic six-shot revolver, folks, not a Glock.

My goal is to show support for my right to bear arms, but not to make people uncomfortable or scare them.

Edit (Misread post):

It seems you think we all open carry for attention and to scare people with our auto-loaders. This is definitely not the case. You are right, though, lots of people are scared by the sight of a gun. I don't care if my guns scares anyone though. It's not my fault they weren't taught that firearms are just tools when they were growing up. I wear my firearm openly to deter potential crime and for self protection. Spreading the message about the right to bear arms is side benefit of wearing one openly. Though, I will support anyone's reasons to wear a firearm, as it is their right.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. I hope your interaction with other open carriers in Arizona, and the members on OpenCarry.org, opens your eyes to the actual reasons most of us choose carry openly.

BTW, I'm an Arizonian stuck in SC. I can attest to Arizonians getting a little defensive when talking to people who don't respect their freedoms. You might hear a few say, "This is Arizona, get used to it", kind of lines in response to any bed wetters who don't like freedom.

For people just plain confused about the laws, I'm sure some may take the time to explain why they are carrying a gun in plain view, instead of telling them to go pound sand. The extreme antis are easy to spot, and hear, and are not worth the time. They just want to argue, hence the "get used to it" line.

Last edited:

Medic1210

If folks are going to be scared of your gun, they're gonna be scared irregardless of whether you carry a small revolver or a full sized Glock. Thinking one is "less intimidating" than the other because it's smaller and holds fewer rounds means you actually think these people actually rationalize their fears. Doesn't work like that. Not saying don't carry a revolver if that's what you're comfortable with. Just don't carry that over something else because you think it'll bring less attention from an anti-gunner.

FallonJeeper

I agree with Carsontech, I carry for self defense. Because my firearm is plain sight, people will see it.

Here are some of the standard reactions you will see:
1. Acknowledgement - they see it, understand it, and are good with it.
2. Disdain - generally gun haters. They think the only people who should be able to defend themselves are police officers and military (as long as it's in another country)
3. The fearful - they are deathly afraid of guns. They fear it's just going to magically "go off", as if the bullets will just fall out of the barrel, uncommanded.

No problems with #1, just nod and smile. With #2, you're not going to change their mind. Be polite, educate them if you think you can. With #3, definitely DO NOT change your carry habit, the fear belongs to them. If you can educate them and explain that there is nothing to fear, then they get some exposure to a real person, with a good attitude, who happens to carry a gun. They may be less likely to freak-out the next time they see a gun.

Never pass up an opportunity to educate when you can. We don't carry to get a reaction, but getting a reaction is part of the deal. It will happen. If you handle it well, it's a score for all of us.

Carry On!

Last edited: