Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Moving from Ky to Ohio

  1. #1
    Regular Member mark1123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Erlanger, KY
    Posts
    20

    Moving from Ky to Ohio

    I'm moving to Ohio within the next 60 days. I have my CCDW in Kentucky, although I typically open carry. I've been going through the laws and have a good feel for the differences between these two states.
    How do I go about getting my Ohio concealed license? Will my KY one transfer? Do I have to go through the process/class all over again?

  2. #2
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Do you really have to? Their laws are horrible! More places you can't carry than places you can.haha, however you gotta live in Ohio with a permanent address for 45 days, and you must complete 12 hours of training. A permit from Ky will not be valid in OH once you are a resident of OH. You could get a non resident permit from a state OH honors so you could still carry while your waiting for your OH permit. You can't carry in your car in OH without a valid permit, and open carry isn't like it is here.

  3. #3
    Regular Member mark1123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Erlanger, KY
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    Do you really have to? Their laws are horrible! More places you can't carry than places you can.haha, however you gotta live in Ohio with a permanent address for 45 days, and you must complete 12 hours of training. A permit from Ky will not be valid in OH once you are a resident of OH. You could get a non resident permit from a state OH honors so you could still carry while your waiting for your OH permit. You can't carry in your car in OH without a valid permit, and open carry isn't like it is here.
    I love living in Kentucky. I've open carried nearly every day for quite a while now and haven't had a single issue. The LEOs that I've come across know the law and haven't given me any grief. I will definitely look into the non-resident permit.
    Thanks for the info.

  4. #4
    Regular Member RCall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Miami County Ohio
    Posts
    113
    I encourage you to look at the following Ohio laws if you haven't already:

    2923.11 through 2923.1213
    They can be viewed at this location:
    http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923

  5. #5
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Wow, that's enough to make me never want to cross the river again. Some of ohio's laws are insane!

  6. #6
    Regular Member mark1123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Erlanger, KY
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by RCall View Post
    I encourage you to look at the following Ohio laws if you haven't already:

    2923.11 through 2923.1213
    They can be viewed at this location:
    http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923
    That's ugly.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cuyahoga County, Ohio
    Posts
    219
    Download the Attorney General's Concealed Carry Manual. It's an easier read, plus you are required by law to read it before you apply for your license.

    http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/C...aspx/?from=nav

  8. #8
    Regular Member hotrod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Union, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    566
    Mark, I live in Northern Kentucky as you do, and I drive to Dayton Ohio everyday to work. I have been stopped twice, once by Lockland PD and once by Dayton PD. Both times I announced I was a CWL holder and had my weapon. They said ok, did there thing with my ID. It isn't as nice as Kentucky, but it isn't that bad either. Hope your move goes well.
    Speed is fine
    Accuracy is final

  9. #9
    Regular Member Makarov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    226
    I open carry all the time in Dayton without issues. However, I have had a couple of run in with Riverside or surrounding communities cops. Just remember...know the law, be firm, polite and hold your ground. Most cops will repect that if your nice!
    Last edited by Makarov; 02-02-2012 at 12:23 PM.

  10. #10
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    It's a shame you have got to hold your ground at all. You should not even be stopped for a legal activity! File complaints if you are. After what happened in canton, i probably wouldn't say a thing about carrying to an Leo. That is a statute that needs to be removed from law!

  11. #11
    Regular Member mark1123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Erlanger, KY
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by RT48 View Post
    Download the Attorney General's Concealed Carry Manual. It's an easier read, plus you are required by law to read it before you apply for your license.

    http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/C...aspx/?from=nav
    Much easier to read! Thanks.

  12. #12
    Regular Member RCall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Miami County Ohio
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    It's a shame you have got to hold your ground at all. You should not even be stopped for a legal activity! File complaints if you are. After what happened in canton, i probably wouldn't say a thing about carrying to an Leo. That is a statute that needs to be removed from law!
    There is a bill in the house of rep. to get rid of the notification requirement.

  13. #13
    Regular Member xmanhockey7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portage, MI
    Posts
    1,490
    Watch out for no guns signs!!!!!!!! Never have I ever seen so many no gun signs. I saw one that was at about knee level for me and I'm just under 5'7.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

    ...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

    Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

  14. #14
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    Watch out for no guns signs!!!!!!!! Never have I ever seen so many no gun signs. I saw one that was at about knee level for me and I'm just under 5'7.
    In Ohio you don't have to scan every inch of a door/opening for no guns signs.

    The law says that the sign must be conspicuously posted and that you must knowingly ignore such signage.

    See page 16 of this manual for a cite:
    http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/f...y-Laws-Booklet
    Last edited by BB62; 02-04-2012 at 12:48 PM.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Rocky River, OH, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,086
    Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    Watch out for no guns signs!!!!!!!! Never have I ever seen so many no gun signs. I saw one that was at about knee level for me and I'm just under 5'7.
    I have to wonder where you're going to see them.

    I live in Rocky River and see very few. None of the banks, grocery stores or drug stores are. I don't think anything in Westgate Mall is. Great Northern Mall and Crocker Park are, but they're owned by a notoriously anti-gun company.

    And as pointed out by another, you don't have to search for "no guns" signs like Indiana Jones searching for the Ark of the Covenant. The owner has a duty to make them REASONABLY obvious to someone ENTERING the establishment.

    Also the law was recently changed to allow carry in liquor serving establishments when NOT consuming alcohol. My favorite local restaurant, Michaels in Rocky River, is NOT posted. I haven't checked on any of the others recently, but I've been in at least two with liquor licenses and don't recall either being posted.

  16. #16
    Regular Member xmanhockey7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portage, MI
    Posts
    1,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    I have to wonder where you're going to see them.

    I live in Rocky River and see very few. None of the banks, grocery stores or drug stores are. I don't think anything in Westgate Mall is. Great Northern Mall and Crocker Park are, but they're owned by a notoriously anti-gun company.

    And as pointed out by another, you don't have to search for "no guns" signs like Indiana Jones searching for the Ark of the Covenant. The owner has a duty to make them REASONABLY obvious to someone ENTERING the establishment.

    Also the law was recently changed to allow carry in liquor serving establishments when NOT consuming alcohol. My favorite local restaurant, Michaels in Rocky River, is NOT posted. I haven't checked on any of the others recently, but I've been in at least two with liquor licenses and don't recall either being posted.
    I can't help but notice them. I only go to Ohio to work (referee hockey). So I end up being put up in hotels. The Embassy in Beachwood is the only hotel that I've noticed to have the sign. Every rink I've been to except "The Pond" has the sign. I'm pretty sure Garfield has some sort of no weapons sign but I could be wrong only went there once. It looked like it was owned by the city though so it would seem to me that'd be violating preemption.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

    ...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

    Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

  17. #17
    Regular Member William Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oxford, Ohio
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    In Ohio you don't have to scan every inch of a door/opening for no guns signs.

    The law says that the sign must be conspicuously posted and that you must knowingly ignore such signage.

    See page 16 of this manual for a cite:
    http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/f...y-Laws-Booklet
    Conspicuously!

    That's like promptly notify. Just like the HASSLER case in Canton. While the officer (SO CALLED) was way overboard in every aspect of the stop, it was clear from the video the the driver DID TRY to PROMPTLY notify. Thankfully they did get rid of Hassler. Unfortunatly his partner is still there.

    Thank GOD for videos.

  18. #18
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    That's what I love about Ky, those signs are worthless, the only place I c them is at school, and I smile and walk right past.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Rocky River, OH, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,086
    Quote Originally Posted by William Fisher View Post
    Conspicuously!

    That's like promptly notify. Just like the HASSLER case in Canton. While the officer (SO CALLED) was way overboard in every aspect of the stop, it was clear from the video the the driver DID TRY to PROMPTLY notify. Thankfully they did get rid of Hassler. Unfortunatly his partner is still there.

    Thank GOD for videos.
    Daniel Harless, not "Hassler"... unless you were just being sarcastic.

  20. #20
    Regular Member William Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oxford, Ohio
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    Daniel Harless, not "Hassler"... unless you were just being sarcastic.
    I stand corrected.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •