• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Winston-Salem Parks and greenways - including Salem Lake Trail -- no guns

1911 Deacon

Winston-Salem goes contra to state law and restricts concealed carry (with permits) on trails, parks and greenways. Effective Dec 1, a new state law, HB 650, provided that:

§ 14‑415.23. Statewide uniformity. It is the intent of the General Assembly to prescribe a uniform system for the regulation of legally carrying a concealed handgun. To insure uniformity, no political subdivisions, boards, or agencies of the State nor any county, city, municipality, municipal corporation, town, township, village, nor any department or agency thereof, may enact ordinances, rules, or regulations concerning legally carrying a concealed handgun. A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to permit the posting of a prohibition against carrying a concealed handgun, in accordance with G.S. 14‑415.11(c), on local government buildings and their appurtenant premises. [statute revision removed the word "parks" here and added the following language:] A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to prohibit, by posting, the carrying of a concealed handgun on municipal and county recreational facilities that are specifically identified by the unit of local government. If a unit of local government adopts such an ordinance with regard to recreational facilities, then the concealed handgun permittee may, nevertheless, secure the handgun in a locked vehicle within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or area within or on the motor vehicle. For purposes of this section, the term "recreational facilities" includes only the following: a playground, an athletic field, a swimming pool, and an athletic facility."

So, the state legislature removed the word "parks" and mandated that all cities and counties could only prevent concealed handguns (with permits) in government buildings and "recreational facilities" -- and defined that as either a playground, an athletic field, a swimming pool, or an athletic facility.

But the Winston-Salem city council was confused by the words "recreational facilities" and decided to define that as follows: "a building, structure, or place including a walking trail, greenway and body of water such as a lake for engaging in sporting events, recreational activities, fitness or physical training" and has posted signs preventing concealed carry on the Salem Lake trails (7 miles around the lake) and all greenways. I'm not making this up. Here's the link:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/75041388/Winston-Salem-Ordinance-Banning-Concealed-Carry

Dreamer

Hopefully GRNC will get wind of this, and sick their legal pit bulls on Winston-Salem, and get this fixed ASAP...

Doble Troble

Greenville redefined "dog park" to "playground"

They ignore state law, but expect us to obey their illegal ordinances...

chiefjason

I know it's just a short session coming up, but is there any way to see if the legislature would fix this mess they started? Maybe Hilton from Catawba? Might be a plus that Hickory went whole hog on allowing carry. I guess there are 2 options; 1- they are just naive enough to believe those definitions were OK, or 2- it's intentionally vague like the rest of them.

cricketdad

I know it's just a short session coming up, but is there any way to see if the legislature would fix this mess they started? Maybe Hilton from Catawba? Might be a plus that Hickory went whole hog on allowing carry. I guess there are 2 options; 1- they are just naive enough to believe those definitions were OK, or 2- it's intentionally vague like the rest of them.

My understanding of the process, unless money is involved nothing can be introduced this session. It will be next year before anything can be done. From the GRNC alerts you probably saw there is a possibility of a lawsuit. And that's all I can say about that.

Dreamer

My understanding of the process, unless money is involved nothing can be introduced this session. It will be next year before anything can be done. From the GRNC alerts you probably saw there is a possibility of a lawsuit. And that's all I can say about that.

My understanding of the process is that unless a LOT of money is involved (especially of the baksheesh type), little gets done in Raleigh during ANY session... :banghead:

RayBurton72

IN the short session, only those bills required to make changes to the budget (money), or bills that "carried Over" from the long session can be heard.

As to carry over bills, not only are there a couple of firearms related bills that language could be inserted fixing this issue, there are always a couple of "extra" bills, that can be gutted of the actual language that passed, and new language inserted. Sen. Andrew Brock will no doubt be very willing to help out on this issue.

cricketdad

IN the short session, only those bills required to make changes to the budget (money), or bills that "carried Over" from the long session can be heard.

As to carry over bills, not only are there a couple of firearms related bills that language could be inserted fixing this issue, there are always a couple of "extra" bills, that can be gutted of the actual language that passed, and new language inserted. Sen. Andrew Brock will no doubt be very willing to help out on this issue.

Ray, I know HB111 made crossover. What other firearm bill made it?