• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB 863 -- A slap in the face to lawful gun owners

TheQ

UPDATE: Let's hold off on our calls until Monday (2/6) at 8 AM. The people we are trying to reach are all out of the office on Friday (I know -- I visited their office earlier today). Let's light up the phones at 8 AM on Monday (Feb. 6) again!

SB 863 is not the way to eliminate Concealed Gun Free Zones
Dear Friend of Michigan Open Carry, Inc.:

This morning it came to our attention that SB 863 will be voted on in the Senate Judiciary Committee next week. SB 863 (Introduced December of 2011) is a Michigan Legislative Bill that would exempt employees of Licensed Private Investigators who have a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) from “Concealed Gun Free Zones”.

On the surface, this may seem like a good bill. However, there is another bill (SB 58 – Introduced January 2011) that is sitting in front of the same legislative committee. SB 58 eliminates all “Concealed Gun Free Zones” for every person that has a valid CPL. It appears the committee chair has no intentions on acting on SB 58 despite being eager to create another “special exempt class” by voting on SB 863. Because SB 58 increases freedom for every person with a CPL, rather than an elite few, Michigan Open Carry, Inc. is opposing SB 863 and asking the committee chair to instead vote on SB 58.

Here's where you come in.

During business hours (8 AM-5 PM), if possible, we'd like you to place a phone call to the three members of the Senate Judiciary Committee and pass on a message to them: Either every CPL holder gets more freedom or nobody does.

Committee Members:

Sen. Rick Jones (Chairman) (Grand Ledge)
(517) 373-3447

Sen. Tonya Schuitmaker (Kalamazoo Co. plus Paw Paw Twp and Antwerp Twp)
(517) 373-0793

Sen. Tory Rocca (Clinton Twp., Roseville, Sterling Heights, Utica)
(517) 373-7315

Tell them you would like them to vote against SB 863 and instead insist that SB 58 be brought to vote and passed.

If you're a bit lost for words you can say this:

(Person Answers the phone)

You: Hi, I'd like to speak to the staffer who handles Judiciary Committee Matters (Wait to be transferred, ask to leave a Voice Mail if they are not available).

(After you are transferred)

You: I am calling at the request of Michigan Open Carry. I am asking the Senator to not support SB863, which will be heard in the Judiciary Committee next week. Enough is enough, no more laws that give special privileges to certain classes of citizens.

One of the founding principles of this great nation was that all people are equal and that the idea of special classes is contrary to liberty and freedom.

What the Senate should be concentrating on is SB58 which eliminates all gun free zones for all CPL holders. This bill has languished in committee since January 25th, 2011. It is time to stand up and fight for our right to bear arms recognized by both the Federal and State constitutions. Senate Bill 58 is legislation that all Michigan gun rights organizations can support.

Either we are all free or we are not. No more special privileges for certain classes of people.

If you cannot call all three committee members, it is crucial you at least call Senator Rick Jone's office as he is the committee chair.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Me too, I certainly support the MOC decision in this. They dont need to spoon feed us some more of their baby food legislation, and then claim that they did soooo much for furthering the rights of gun owners.

Last edited:

TheQ

Original post updated with action plan. Please share with your friends (email them the link to this thread or on Facebook

Make your calls during the business day tomorrow!

TheQ

I don't understand. We can talk about pot and CPls for 300+ posts -- but this thread (which affects all our rights) gets very little attention.

...how -- frustrating.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
it has over 200 views and it's only been up since 3pm yesterday

look down the list, there are threads that have been up for days that have less views

Last edited:

Ezerharden

I don't understand. We can talk about pot and CPls for 300+ posts -- but this thread (which affects all our rights) gets very little attention.

...how -- frustrating.

What more would you like said, besides I will call shortly?

qqq1

I emailed all 3. I know, calling is better. I also sent the info to a few other people who I'm sure will also at least email.

-Got an email back from the Rick Jones address within a couple minutes. From Sandra M. McCormick, Constituent Services Director. 1 sentence saying the bill fixes an oversight. Considering my email was a couple paragraphs of info and my reasoning I see this as "I don't care what you have to say". Seems like even a prepared response would give more then 1 sentence. Did my opinion go in the trash?

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Sent the legislature this email

I have been made aware of another useless piece of legislation, SB 863, which would exempt the employees of private investigators from the pistol free zones with a CPL. The reason that I am opposed to this, is because it creates yet another group of privileged individuals, while ignoring the lost rights of everyone else. As the law is now, these people can already simply carry open in these areas.

Instead of wasting another opportunity here, why not pass SB 58, which would eliminate the gun free zones for all CPL holders? This is one of the main requests of gun owners that brought us to the ballots and many of you to your offices.

quarter horseman

I emailed all 3. I know, calling is better. I also sent the info to a few other people who I'm sure will also at least email.

-Got an email back from the Rick Jones address within a couple minutes. From Sandra M. McCormick, Constituent Services Director. 1 sentence saying the bill fixes an oversight. Considering my email was a couple paragraphs of info and my reasoning I see this as "I don't care what you have to say". Seems like even a prepared response would give more then 1 sentence. Did my opinion go in the trash?

This was my responce from Sandra M. McCormick I quote
"Thank you for contacting the office of Senator Rick Jones about SB 863. Senator Hildenbrand introduced this legislation to fix an oversight on private investigation firms wherein the investigator can carry but their employees cannot. Thank you again for your email." end quote

TheQ

Regarding SB 863 and SB 58:
We are getting their attention -- good work. One Senator's office has initiated contact with the me (President of MOC) in regards to our position and your calls. Please keep up the good work.

TheQ

Let's hold off on our calls until Monday (2/6) at 8 AM. The people we are trying to reach are all out of the office on Friday (I know -- I visited their office earlier today). Let's light up the phones at 8 AM on Monday (Feb. 6) again!

Last edited:

Jared

Let's hold off on our calls until Monday (2/6) at 8 AM. The people we are trying to reach are all out of the office on Friday (I know -- I visited their office earlier today). Let's light up the phones at 8 AM on Monday (Feb. 6) again!

I called all three. I was asked if I called my senator. I explained that unless my senator recently was placed on Judiciary I see no point in contacting my senator unless the bill goes to the floor.

I made it clear that Jones has been sitting on SB58 and that his actions do not promote the 2nd amendment.

I wonder when they will just come clean and offer a bill to exempt legislators and former legislators from 28.425o

I asked (I forget which staffer) if a secretary of a PI firm's life is more important that my wife's life (My wife has a shattered knee and can never run again.