• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conversation About Campus Carry In AZ

Super Saiyan

So I had a conversation with someone the other day concerning campus carry here in Arizona. This particular individual didn't like the idea because according to him, the police won't know who the actual shooter is and there will be complete chaos.
If you've heard this ridiculous excuse yourself, I'm sure you've rolled your eyes just as I did. Fortunately, I seized the opportunity to explain my position and educate a midinformed person:

Anti: "Did you hear about this new law they're trying to pass to allow people to carry guns on college campuses?"

Me: "Yeah. I think it's a good thing."

Anti: "What? Why?"

Me: "Because if I take any classes, I'll be able to legally carry my firearm with me and survive an incident if it comes down to it."

Anti: "That's crazy. How will the cops know who the shooter is and not think it's you?"

Me: "Simple: Assuming I survive the incident, the shooter will be the dead person on the ground with the bullet holes in him, and I'll be the guy standing there with my weapon re-holstered."

Anti: "But when the police show up, they might get confused and think it's you, since you'll have a gun too."

Me: "No, because my firearm will be re-holstered by the time they arrive. Most likely, it will take at least several minutes for the police to find the exact location of the incident. They can't travel at the speed of light. And when they do get there, I will follow their commands and explain the situation to them."

Anti: "I still think they might get confused and end up shooting you instead of the actual murderer."

Me: "Well, I'm not going to wave my gun around in the air when they show up and start screaming how I shot the bad guy and deserve a medal, so I'd say the odds are next to none that that will happen."

Anti: "Still, the idea of a bunch of kids carrying guns...."

Me: "Kids? You mean responsible adults who are at least 21 years of age and have a valid Arizona concealed weapons permit, which requires eight hours of training and live-fire to obtain?"

Anti: "I didn't know you had to be 21 years old and have the permit to be able to carry a gun under this law."

Me: "You do."

Then the subject changed.

I know this forum is primarily about OC, but I felt compelled to share my experience with ya'll. It bugs me how so many people make absurd assumptions and follow mass hysteria when these things come up, rather than simply researching the issue and knowing what they're bsing their opinions on. I also must say that I hate playing the "what if" game, which the anti's apparently love.

Last edited:

Dahwg

I must say. I prefer the senate version. It isn't limited to teachers. What are the odds a major University is going to spend the money on armed guards and gun lockers on every building?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

xmanhockey7

When Texas was trying to pass theirs a liberal friend of mine posted how horrible it was they'd allow kids as young as 17 and 18 to carry on campus. When I told him it would only apply to those who already carry and to get the Texas CHL you must be 21 he went to another argument. But other people commenting on the link to the article he posted started agreeing with me, because well, I MADE ARGUMENTS THAT WERE NOT BASED ON SILLY IDEAS!!! INSTEAD THEY WERE BASED ON FACTS!

GWbiker

In my discussions with anti gun sheeple in Arizona, I've noticed their arguments always begin with the words: "What if.......everyone had a gun, what if everyone began shooting, etc, etc".

I ask for fact to support their debate and the reply is always to spin around to: "What if.....".

Sonora Rebel

In my discussions with anti gun sheeple in Arizona, I've noticed their arguments always begin with the words: "What if.......everyone had a gun, what if everyone began shooting, etc, etc".

I ask for fact to support their debate and the reply is always to spin around to: "What if.....".

These fanciful projections universally originate from those who have never owned, much less fired a handgun (or any gun) and have no sense of 'fire discipline'. What they envision is a meelee. I don't know if that's a result of unbridled hoplophobic fear or simply the scatterbrained assessments of shallowminded, emotional, drama queens.

The closest actual scenario where nearly 'everyone had a gun' was the tale where some hapless would-be bandit attempted to hold up a gun shop. http://www.snopes.com/crime/dumdum/gunshop.asp Of note... were those who did not shoot. This event, IMHO would be a fairly typical response scenario.

I fail to see where gun storage lockers or any of this stuff is germaine to carrying on campus. Locking the guns up defeats the whole purpose of defense and deterrence. We're not talking about 'private schools' here. These are state facilities. These 'educators' seem to forget who they work for or where they're at. I'm sure their resignations will be accepted should they choose to flee to a GFZ somewhere else.