• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private Sale Bill

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Close call on SB379
[h=3]SB 379 Firearms transfers; penalties.[/h]Lucas was called away earlier in the day on an emergency so she couldn't even vote by proxy.

If she had been there it would have passed out of Committee.

Audio will be up later

mk4

i won't be able to listen 'til much later, so can i get the cliff's notes? ;-)

what was the vote count? defeated outright? passed by indefinitely? something else?

thanks!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
i won't be able to listen 'til much later, so can i get the cliff's notes? ;-)

what was the vote count? defeated outright? passed by indefinitely? something else?

thanks!

7 to 7 and yes PBI.

mk4

i had noticed this lis wasn't updated. that's why i was pressing for some details. ;-)

thanks!

ooops! just now updated.

02/01/12 Senate: Passed by indefinitely in Courts of Justice (8-Y 6-N)
YEAS--Norment, Obenshain, McDougle, Stuart, Vogel, Stanley, Reeves, Garrett--8.
NAYS--Saslaw, Marsh, Howell, Edwards, Puller, McEachin--6.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Not that you get any more from the video than just audio, here's the video of that bill.

[video=vimeo;36052038]http://vimeo.com/36052038[/video]

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Not that you get any more from the video than just audio, here's the video of that bill.

[video=vimeo;36052038]http://vimeo.com/36052038[/video]

You get to see the stupid people's stupid faces so that you can stay away from them....:D

And thanks, once again, for making these videos!

mk4

+1, thanks, Peter.

i love seeing how Sen Norment runs the committee.
his comment to the nra guy about being young and able to move to the podium faster cracked me up. :lol:

on the other hand goddard and horowitz saying the same old same old makes me wanna lose my lunch. :banghead:

2a4all

+1, thanks, Peter.

i love seeing how Sen Norment runs the committee.
his comment to the nra guy about being young and able to move to the podium faster cracked me up. :lol:

on the other hand goddard and horowitz saying the same old same old makes me wanna lose my lunch. :banghead:

Goddard has a point. It is unfair to discriminate against 60% of the market by requiring BG checks on those folks. Clearly, this imbalance needs to be adjusted such that no one is requred to submit to a BG check.:banana:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Here's the vote. It wasn't 7-7 it was 6-8...that's better but still close since Lucas was gone:

[h=3]SB 379 Firearms transfers; penalties.[/h]
02/01/12 Senate: Passed by indefinitely in Courts of Justice (8-Y 6-N)

YEAS--Norment, Obenshain, McDougle, Stuart, Vogel, Stanley, Reeves, Garrett--8.
NAYS--Saslaw, Marsh, Howell, Edwards, Puller, McEachin--6.
ABSTENTIONS--0.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Goddard has a point. It is unfair to discriminate against 60% of the market by requiring BG checks on those folks. Clearly, this imbalance needs to be adjusted such that no one is requred to submit to a BG check.:banana:

Don't swell his head. He reads and probably posts here:lol:

mk4

looks like the 7-7 (failed to report) vote was for mceachin's other bill, sb648, which would essentially have closed the 'loophole' allowing an oc'er to consume alchohol in an establishment licensed to sell/serve. norment voted with the minority on this one.

side note: which is more desirable, a 'failed to report' or a 'passed by indefinitely' outcome?

2a4all

looks like the 7-7 (failed to report) vote was for mceachin's other bill, sb648, which would essentially have closed the 'loophole' allowing an oc'er to consume alchohol in an establishment licensed to sell/serve. norment voted with the minority on this one.

side note: which is more desirable, a 'failed to report' or a 'passed by indefinitely' outcome?
Either one will keep the bill from a floor vote.

TFred

6 of one and a half dozen of the other. Either way it's dead for the year.
NRA Alert e-mail said this tonight:

During their hearing the Senate Courts of Justice Committee also voted on Senate Bill 648, where it stalled on a 7 to 7 vote. While this legislation failed to be reported out of committee, it is also still not technically defeated for this session.
How can it be "not technically defeated?" Are they saying that at 7-7, it could be voted on again?

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
NRA Alert e-mail said this tonight:

How can it be "not technically defeated?" Are they saying that at 7-7, it could be voted on again?

TFred

It could be revived. I've seen it tried a few times but I can't recall it ever happening.Dockets are running full though and I just don't see how they could work it back in.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Of course isn't this the same patron who tried to push a substitute motion to pass his bill, right in the middle of a motion to kill it? Gotta admire the chutzpa, if nothing else...

TFred

I guess:uhoh:

ME1.jpg