• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bullets Fired into the Air - Results

William Fisher

Wouldn't a bullet fired up whether straight, 45° angle or any other angle come down straight once it reaches it's maximum hight. I can't pitcure it going up at an 45° angle and then branch off and come down at another angle making a tri-angle of sorts.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Wouldn't a bullet fired up whether straight, 45° angle or any other angle come down straight once it reaches it's maximum hight. I can't pitcure it going up at an 45° angle and then branch off and come down at another angle making a tri-angle of sorts.

I think it would be similar to a baseball being thrown at a 45 degree angle. It would follow an arc as it gradually loses speed. Right?

SFCRetired

But that is exactly what it does. If it did not come back down at an angle, none of your artillery would work. I don't know the exact ballistics, never having been a "cannon-cocker", but I believe the angle of return is roughly equivalent to the angle of departure from the weapon.

georg jetson

I think it would be similar to a baseball being thrown at a 45 degree angle. It would follow an arc as it gradually loses speed. Right?

An object in free fight within a gravitational field will have a flight trajectory described by a parabola. Here's a simple explanation...

http://www.allmathwords.org/en/p/parabola.html

A function which describes a parabola will have what is called an asymptote. Explanation...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymptote

If an object is launched high enough into the air at some angle, when that object returns to earth, it will appear to fall straight down. This is because the slope of the parabolic curve is getting (close to infinity?) very large..

Edit - Keep in mind that the parabolic shape can be distorted by the atmosphere.

Last edited:

Aknazer

Already reported. Two officers came out. Reaction? "Ho Hum." They did fill out a report, though. I expected no more as it would be an exercise in futility to try and find the person who did this.

Only problem now is that my lovely Chinese wife is convinced that someone was deliberately shooting at our house. I foresee a couple of weeks trying to convince her otherwise. She does not believe that a bullet fired into the air can come down with enough force to go through a metallic roof.

Maybe ask her where she thought they were standing to be shooting at you guys and yet hit your roof? I don't know your neighboring land obviously, but so long as your not in a valley hopefully she can look around and realize that the only way the roof could be hit was if the bullet travelled in an arc.

WOD

Just before I left Cleveland to come back home to WA state, I was grabbing a smoke outside. I happened to look down at the driveway and found a crumpled .45 slug. In Cleveland there's never a shortage of gunfire, and it sounds like a war zone on most big holidays. Not too much different than home in the boonies here! I can't recall a single day when I HAVEN'T heard gunfire ..here or there. The only difference is, here in WA we're spread out a lot more, whereas, on the west side of Cleveland the houses are all a driveway width apart.

since9

Campaign Veteran

There are two components to a bullet's velocity, the vertical and the horizontal, and they are independent. Gravity only influences the vertical, but air resistance influences both the horizontal, although for all practical purposes, their effects can be separated into their vertical and horizontal components.

Subsonic air resistance is proportional to the square of the velocity. At terminal velocity, the air resistance is equal to the weight of the bullet.

The horizontal component will decay towards zero, but it never actually gets there as air acts like an under-damped system.

If gravity were parallel over distance, the trajectory would be a parabola in a vacuum. But gravity acts from a point source, the center of mass of the Earth, so if the projectile doesn't have escape velocity, the trajectory follows an ellipse, not a parabola, as is commonly, but wrongly taught. If the projectile's velocity is equal to or greater than escape velocity, it follows a hypotenuse.

Back to our bullet... Because of air resistance, it follows a warped ellipse:

Projectile2.jpg

The larger blue curve is the ellipse of a projectile in a vacuum. The smaller, yellow-dashed curve is the same projectile in an atmosphere. The red dots are where each bullet would be after the same amount of time for each curve. The red arrows are the horizontal and vertical velocity components, drawn to scale.

The horizontal velocity component for the vacuum projectile never changes. But for the atmosphere projectile it starts out equal, but is reduced at a rate that's proportional to the square of its velocity. At the time of the red dots, it's a lot less than for the bullet in a vacuum. Meanwhile, atmospheric drag has impacted its vertical velocity. It reaches only a fraction of its vacuum brother, and may very well reach terminal velocity before impacting the ground.

How do I know so much about this? Well, aside from a background in aerospace engineering, I dropped things out of the sky for twenty years. The physics are the same, whether it's a bullet, a paratrooper, a pallet full of beans and bullets, or a string of 500 pound bombs.

I hope you enjoyed the full explanation!

Last edited: