• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seeking Case law- person open carrying charged with Disorderly Conduct, overturned

Potent Dagger

Dear OCDO viewer,

I am seeking any case law where a person who open carried a pistol, in a state that does not forbid open carry, was charged with Disorderly Conduct or some other non-weapons related offense, convicted at trail, then appealed, and the conviction was reversed.

I am already aware of the US v. Ubilies case, but I am looking for one dealing with open carry.

If you know of a case, regardless on what state, please send me a message telling me where I can find the appeals court decision.

Many thanks,

Potent Dagger
OCDO/ALOC

claytonjrabens

Such type of claims are a little hard to find in the first place. Cases related to "open carried a pistol" happen rare (atleast I haven't heard much) and if does are seldom reported. I think you could go find down some law archives for cases, may be you'll find it. :) I am a wound lawyer.

Last edited:

eye95

Cases not from Alabama would not help in Alabama. DC laws vary greatly from State to State. The reason that OC is not DC in one State would likely not apply in another. At best, such out-of-State cases would be good for gleaning ideas on how to argue the case, but would not be precedents.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Much of the case law the OP is looking for is likely in the lower court rulings ... may have to go to the courthouse and search there .. google scholar and other online resources are limited to appellate cases.

tyc

Dear OCDO viewer,
I am seeking any case law where a person who open carried a pistol, in a state that does not forbid open carry, was charged with Disorderly Conduct or some other non-weapons related offense, convicted at trail, then appealed, and the conviction was reversed.
I am already aware of the US v. Ubilies case, but I am looking for one dealing with open carry.

This doesn't sound right. Are you by chance a novice pro se individual seeking to defend or initiate an action because of perceived Constitutional violations?

If I may suggest, have a look at the entry page to this site, specifically the "LAW PAGE", then look for "Practicing Pro Se". You are encouraged to d/l the entire file of case law citations and review them off line at your leisure. The answer(s) you appear to be seeking may be there and if so, odds are you will know it when you see it/them.

Hope this helps.

tyc

Last edited:

docachna

Dear OCDO viewer,

If you know of a case, regardless on what state, please send me a message telling me where I can find the appeals court decision.

Many thanks,

Potent Dagger
OCDO/ALOC

If you are dealing with the violation of a particular statute or city ordinance, it would be helpful if you posted the full text of the law the defendant is accused of violating. If you're speaking purely hypothetically, it's a big, big world out there....

4sooth

Go to "Oyez"--the Supreme Court's web site. There you may search by type of violation such as search and seizure, wrongful/false arrest, civil rights and much more. It is time consuming to do but worth the effort.