• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sportsmen’s exposition

28kfps

Sportsmen’s exposition is at the convention center starting tomorrow. Advertizing hunting, fishing outdoor sports. Listing hunting products including optics. Found it interesting nowhere does it say anything about firearms in their online brochure.

Last time I was at the Convention Center a few years ago to the best of my memory they had posted on their doors no firearms and posted the NRS that only referred to no concealed carry.

Realizing no gun signs on private busses has no legal merit. Anyone know about the Convention Center?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Surely you don't think sportsmen themselves are invited, do you?

CowboyKen

The Convention Center is owned and operated by the Las Vegas Convention and Visitiors Authority, a political subdivision of the State of Nevada. Therefore the signs have the force of law. They even have their own police force.

Please feel free to test the legalitiy of their anti-gun position and let us know how that works out for you.

Ken

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The Convention Center is owned and operated by the Las Vegas Convention and Visitiors Authority, a political subdivision of the State of Nevada. Therefore the signs have the force of law. ...

So then this also means that they can only enforce against concealed firearms, per state preemption?

Granted, we KNOW we would get hassled. But is it legal?

28kfps

The Convention Center is owned and operated by the Las Vegas Convention and Visitiors Authority, a political subdivision of the State of Nevada. Therefore the signs have the force of law. They even have their own police force.

Please feel free to test the legalitiy of their anti-gun position and let us know how that works out for you.

Ken

I opened up this conversation hopefully to get good information, opinions, and maybe a NRS that would help define what the law for the facility. I am trying to determined the value of your statement of, ”Please feel free to test the legality of their anti-gun position and let us know how that works out for you.”

Your first paragraph is more of what I was looking for. If you are correct on the Convention Center falling under state would it be correct to say it should then follow the same requirements as the DMV. The DMV did post the same signs however, after being challenged now allow legal carried firearms. It was an unpleasant experience for the one that challenged it however did force the DMV to correct the issue. As I said in my first post, it has been two years ago since I have been in the Convention Center and that is when I saw the no concealed firearm NRS wording on the door. I am making an assumption it is still posted the same way.

Last edited:

CowboyKen

I opened up this conversation hopefully to get good information, opinions, and maybe a NRS that would help define what the law for the facility. I am trying to determined the value of your statement of, ”Please feel free to test the legality of their anti-gun position and let us know how that works out for you.”

Your first paragraph is more of what I was looking for. If you are correct on the Convention Center falling under state would it be correct to say it should then follow the same requirements as the DMV. The DMV did post the same signs however, after being challenged now allow legal carried firearms. It was an unpleasant experience for the one that challenged it however did force the DMV to correct the issue. As I said in my first post, it has been two years ago since I have been in the Convention Center and that is when I saw the no concealed firearm NRS wording on the door. I am making an assumption it is still posted the same way.

A) From their web-site:"a political subdivision of the State of Nevada, the LVCVA board is unique in that its 14 members include six representatives from the private sector."
http://www.lvcva.com/about/mission-purpose.jsp

B) Yes the doors are posted with the appropriate reference to the NRS (NRS 202.3673) prohibiting concealed carry.

C) I, myself, would not open carry there. Call me CHICKHEN. I would expect to be told that I was not ALLOWED to carry, open or concealed, on their property and that the LVCVA police would arrest me if I "resisted." Please let us know your personal experience there.

Ken

Last edited:

CowboyKen

Their own police force? Really? How does that work?

Honest to God! And I don't know. I am guessing it is like the UNLV and the CCSD (Clark County School District) police these are all legit agencies with sworn officers.

I have tickets for the 51s and I see them at Cashman (also owned and operated by the LVCVA) all the time.

Ken

28kfps

A) From their web-site:"a political subdivision of the State of Nevada, the LVCVA board is unique in that its 14 members include six representatives from the private sector."
http://www.lvcva.com/about/mission-purpose.jsp

B) Yes the doors are posted with the appropriate reference to the NRS (NRS 202.3673) prohibiting concealed carry.

C) I, myself, would not open carry there. Call me CHICKHEN. I would expect to be told that I was not ALLOWED to carry, open or concealed, on their property and that the LVCVA police would arrest me if I "resisted." Please let us know your personal experience there.

Ken

Thanks for the update on the door postings. I agree, I also would not open carry there at this point. However I wished I was in a situation where I had the ability to try it and not jeopardized my employment. Unfortunately it would appear so many times in order to get a particular faction to make a clear stance on their carry rule requires one to have the unpleasant experience of pushing the issue. The resent DMV issue is a good example of this where they were forced to make a decision based on the law and not on their want. An unpleasant experience for the person pushing the issue however it resulted in a positive outcome we all benefit from.
Another example a few years back, a Las Vegas Metro confrontation took place on the strip where the OCer was humiliated for almost an hour before allowed to go free. A formal complaint forced Metro to retrain more than 3000 of their LEOs on how to handle a legal carried firearm once again a benefit for all of us.
I for one appreciate those that have the smarts and ability to push such issues. Unfortunately, when human reaction comes into play the outcome can be unpredictable.

The Big Guy

(Thinking out loud)

Again this is a situation where I wish we had someone other than the current AG. A letter to her office (MIGHT???) get the proper response. I just don't trust her to obey the law. On the other hand, what could be the down side? A negative response from her would not change anything. If she felt forced into a positive response, then we win. My best guess is that she would simply ignore us or respond that she is not answerable to the public which is what she has said in the past, sort of.

Another concern of mine is that if we push too hard too fast, on too many issues, we might get city/county/state officials aligned against us to push for changes in the next session of the NV Legislature that will be detrimental to our cause. Their concerns will speak louder than ours.

Comments?

TBG

28kfps

(Thinking out loud)

Again this is a situation where I wish we had someone other than the current AG. A letter to her office (MIGHT???) get the proper response. I just don't trust her to obey the law. On the other hand, what could be the down side? A negative response from her would not change anything. If she felt forced into a positive response, then we win. My best guess is that she would simply ignore us or respond that she is not answerable to the public which is what she has said in the past, sort of.

Another concern of mine is that if we push too hard too fast, on too many issues, we might get city/county/state officials aligned against us to push for changes in the next session of the NV Legislature that will be detrimental to our cause. Their concerns will speak louder than ours.

Comments?

TBG

Not sure about too fast to hard. Not sure if we have or will reach that level. Just a great big guess our issue may be such a small percentage of what comes across her desk we may not be much of an irritant.
I think a well-written short note would not hurt.

Vegassteve

Not sure about too fast to hard. Not sure if we have or will reach that level. Just a great big guess our issue may be such a small percentage of what comes across her desk we may not be much of an irritant.
I think a well-written short note would not hurt.

Along these lines. I took a friend of mine from work shooting this week. He and his son. They are from Montreal. The 20 year old had never seen a gun outside of a video game. We shot everything from a single action 38 to a M1. They loved it.

And more to the point we had a long talk about rights. I explained the county and its blue card. They could relate after a bit because they did the same thing in Canada. And were told it was for all sorts of things but never to take guns away. They wound up losing guns because of it. It is important to continue to fight for our rights otherwise they will sneak more laws in to us because they think we are not watching and working.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I would be inclined to "hold off" on a letter to the AG, my reason is that it seems like the AG opinion is like the right to remain silent, everything the AG says can, and will be used against you in court, and not for you. One aspect I was looking at is lobbying law, if we got to know the law like we do for open carry, in short order, we could run that legislature just by showing up... I guarantee that they do not know the law, they just do like they did before, kinda.

jdholmes

Along these lines. I took a friend of mine from work shooting this week. He and his son. They are from Montreal. The 20 year old had never seen a gun outside of a video game. We shot everything from a single action 38 to a M1. They loved it.

And more to the point we had a long talk about rights. I explained the county and its blue card. They could relate after a bit because they did the same thing in Canada. And were told it was for all sorts of things but never to take guns away. They wound up losing guns because of it. It is important to continue to fight for our rights otherwise they will sneak more laws in to us because they think we are not watching and working.

I am not sure what your friend misunderstood about the registry laws of Canada, but I just moved from there this past year and never had the government ever tried to take my guns or the many guns in possession of my family members.

There is a gun registry for all hand guns, and there are many more restrictions than there are here. You cannot carry a hand gun open or concealed unless you are on the way to the range and then it has to be in a case and you have to be a member of a gun club.

Hand guns have been restricted for many years in Canada. Most folks weren't allowed full autos - they are considered "prohibited" unless you are a 'grandfather' collector like my father. After he is gone all his 'prohibited' weapons will either have to be given to the government for destruction, have proof that the ability to fire has been removed if you want to keep it as a part of a collection, or let them know that it 'disappeared' many years ago. ;) perhaps this is the kind of situation where your friend can say guns were lost.

You can open carry rifles during hunting season...although I am sure in cities that would not happen. They did try to do a rifle registry but that was a failed effort. Many of us never registered and those that did wasted their time and money because it was a system destined to fail.

The sad thing is that they think they are protecting people by making so many restrictions... But school shootings per capita are just about the same as you guys have here in the US...the number looks smaller but it's because our population is ten times smaller. They aren't stopping criminals from carrying and somehow they are still able to get their hands on the "prohibited" full auto weapons with no problem at all...meanwhile law abiding citizens have to leave our protection at home.

So glad I am in the US now. ;)

28kfps

I would be inclined to "hold off" on a letter to the AG, my reason is that it seems like the AG opinion is like the right to remain silent, everything the AG says can, and will be used against you in court, and not for you. One aspect I was looking at is lobbying law, if we got to know the law like we do for open carry, in short order, we could run that legislature just by showing up... I guarantee that they do not know the law, they just do like they did before, kinda.

I sure do respect your input. You are a lot more in the trenches than I am.