• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

out of state carry in FL

Ironside

I don't see in 790 where firearms possesion in a boat/watercraft is mentioned. If I have no conceal license, is possesion of a firearm on a boat illegal?

IANAL but with the appropriate fishing license, ie saltwater/freshwater/resident/non-resident, you can open carry while fishing under 790.25.3.h. Also, have a fishing pole in the boat.

Maybe others will have more insight on the vehicle aspect of this.

HTH

rvrctyrngr

I don't see in 790 where firearms possesion in a boat/watercraft is mentioned. If I have no conceal license, is possesion of a firearm on a boat illegal?

No, it isn't. A boat is a 'private conveyance'. Without a CWFL, the firearm must be securely encased or not readily accessible per 790.25, or, as Ironside pointed out, if you are fishing/going to/from, you can open carry without a CWFL.

Ironside

No, it isn't. A boat is a 'private conveyance'. Without a CWFL, the firearm must be securely encased or not readily accessible per 790.25, or, as Ironside pointed out, if you are fishing/going to/from, you can open carry without a CWFL.

Yes, I didn't follow thru ... 790.25.5

VApatriot

I just finished reading through the majority of your carry laws, and, man, y'all have it pretty rough, at least compared to Virginia. I'll be in Florida for a week right after the semester ends, and do have one question. . .

790.053 Open carrying of weapons.
(1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.

I have my Virginia CHP, so I'm good there, but my question is about printing and "accidental" open carry or partial OC. In the experience of all you Florida guys, will I have any problems if the bottom of my holster shows below my shirt? I'm pretty spoiled here in Virginia, being able to carry how I want when want, so when I don't OC I've gotten into the habit of "concealing" in a pretty casual manner. If I have to do a better job CCing in FL I will; it's just a lot less comfortable. What do y'all think.

77zach

I just finished reading through the majority of your carry laws, and, man, y'all have it pretty rough, at least compared to Virginia. I'll be in Florida for a week right after the semester ends, and do have one question. . .

I have my Virginia CHP, so I'm good there, but my question is about printing and "accidental" open carry or partial OC. In the experience of all you Florida guys, will I have any problems if the bottom of my holster shows below my shirt? I'm pretty spoiled here in Virginia, being able to carry how I want when want, so when I don't OC I've gotten into the habit of "concealing" in a pretty casual manner. If I have to do a better job CCing in FL I will; it's just a lot less comfortable. What do y'all think.

Depends on the enforcement drone who sees your gun. For the most part you'd probably get by with an inconvenient detention if they can tell you have a gun, but the urban areas of south florida are very similar to New York and New Jersey when it comes to "official" attitudes. The fact that "brief" exposure is legal is meaningless. 99% of enforcement drones probably don't know or care that the law changed last year. Exercise your "privilege" to carry concealed with caution, this state does not like the right to bear arms one bit.

VApatriot

Depends on the enforcement drone who sees your gun. For the most part you'd probably get by with an inconvenient detention if they can tell you have a gun, but the urban areas of south florida are very similar to New York and New Jersey when it comes to "official" attitudes. The fact that "brief" exposure is legal is meaningless. 99% of enforcement drones probably don't know or care that the law changed last year. Exercise your "privilege" to carry concealed with caution, this state does not like the right to bear arms one bit.

Thanks for the input. I'll be in Panama City, if that makes any difference.