Thread: Never look down the barrel of a loaded gun - PERIOD!

Never look down the barrel of a loaded gun - PERIOD!

Here's a prime example of somebody who shouldn't even be allowed to say the word "gun"... much less be in possession of one! Apparently he is unfamiliar with the terms "hangfire" and "cookoff" (unless preceded by the word "chili"). Watch closely and you'll notice that - a split second before the discharge - he moves the barrel just enough to survive his own stupidity. Pax...
    Last edited by Gil223; 02-02-2012 at 12:15 PM.
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

I seemed to remember this video being debunked in an older thread. Either way, the point is valid.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 02-02-2012 at 12:25 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    I seemed to remember this video being debunked in an older thread. Either way, the point is valid.
    I'd be interested to know exactly how it was debunked (it looked pretty real to me - both hands away from the trigger when the rifle discharged after misfiring). Do you happen to recall the particular thread that 'shot holes' (no pun intended) in the video? Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Gil223 View Post
    I'd be interested to know exactly how it was debunked (it looked pretty real to me - both hands away from the trigger when the rifle discharged after misfiring). Do you happen to recall the particular thread that 'shot holes' (no pun intended) in the video? Pax...
    I don't recall which thread but it seems bogus. Watch it again. The video has clearly been manipulated. There's a a distinct delay between when the last shot is fired and when the hat is shot off of the guy's head.

Quote Originally Posted by Gil223 View Post
    No powder burns on the hat, hat flies off. If the gun really shot, it would have left powder burns and cleanly gone through the hat without taking it off the head.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-gal View Post
    I don't recall which thread but it seems bogus. Watch it again. The video has clearly been manipulated. There's a a distinct delay between when the last shot is fired and when the hat is shot off of the guy's head.
    Okay... I did as you suggested and watched it again. It still looked real to me, so I ran the clip thru one of my video editors frame-by-frame and this is what happened 22 secs into the clip (you can actually see the "muzzle blast" [click to enlarge], and the hat beginning to lift off his empty head)...

You'll have to take my word for it that I didn't manipulate the frame. A man is no better than his word, and my word is my bond. Pax...
    Last edited by Gil223; 02-02-2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: click to enlarge
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Aside from the audio which I've experienced YouTube screwing up audio on some of my videos and having delays inserted, it looks real to me. Mythbusters did an ep (I don't believe I've seen it and I tried finding an online version of it to no avail so, I can only speculate) called "Western Myths" s05e10 where they tested if you can shoot hats off other people and busted it. The bullets were apparently just travelling through the material. The overpressure wave, on the other hand, would be enough to knock the hat off--like a sudden wind gust, in my opinion.

It's a crappy quality video. It's grainy, it's small so, that makes it difficult to dissect the video properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    No powder burns on the hat, hat flies off. If the gun really shot, it would have left powder burns and cleanly gone through the hat without taking it off the head.
    Powder burns? Maybe, maybe not. Let's assume that it is that which it appears to be - a puny .22LR pump action rifle, shooting a standard 40gr slug, traveling at 1255fps and bringing 140 foot-pounds of energy to bear on the bill of a ball cap. That's more than enough energy to take a tight fitting ball cap off his head. From the looks of the raggedy hole in his cap (but not from the sound of the impact on his bottle-targets) though, and the "gnawing" at the very front of the bill, it's possible he could have been shooting .22 birdshot cartridges, which may explain the absence of powder burn - they would be obliterated by the birdshot. I'm not a forensics expert, and I doubt that you are either. I posted the video, but I made no claims as to its authenticity. However, my subsequent frame-by-frame review of the clip did show muzzle blast which, even if it were a blank cartridge, would have been powerful enough to remove the hat at the perceived distance of less than one foot (and possibly could have made that raggedy hole). Pax...
    Last edited by Gil223; 02-02-2012 at 08:17 PM.
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Awfully big spent cartridges flying out to be a .22, wouldn't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    Awfully big spent cartridges flying out to be a .22, wouldn't you think?
    They went by so quickly, I hadn't even noticed them until you brought it up! You're right - they do seem rather large for what the report sounded like. (Could just be muffled aurdio, I suppose) Care to take a guess as to what it is? I wasn't the guy with the cap, or the one running the camera - I was just guessing at the low end (the caliber really had nothing to do with it, I was just saying that even a "puny .22" packs enough oomph at that range to remove a ball cap). Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

I knew Dick Chiney was innocent!

Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg314 View Post
    I knew Dick Chiney was innocent!
    If stupidity in gun handling is "innocent", then I agree with you. Of course somebody will think that we're both . Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

If you watch this in slow motion , just as the gun is about to fire , watch what happens with the stock of the gun. It must be made of rubber because the barrel at that particular moment is fairly straight but the stock seems to bend .

Also it certainly looks to me like a shotgun , not a rifle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRIr7c35zuY larger video.

It plays the shot in slow motion at the end. I think the "rubber stock" is just from how fast it moves and ghosting? Not sure what the technical term is for photography/videography.
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. --Douglas Adams

Unless cited, any comments are my personal opinion and may not hold any weight or be correct.

I think that everyone is forgetting the sound of the final shot doesn't eco and just flatout stops in the middle.

All these things are signs that its not real, but they don't prove that its not. I don't think it is true.

Edit: But is it considered "ok" to look down the barrel of an UNLOADED gun?
    Last edited by 09jisaac; 02-06-2012 at 01:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    I think that everyone is forgetting the sound of the final shot doesn't eco and just flatout stops in the middle.
    There are a couple of requirements for an echo to occur naturally. Echoes happen because sound bounces off something, which I'm sure you knew. The other requirements are distance from the object that causes the sound to rebound, and the volume of the original sound. According to my sources, a really good echo won't occur in nature without some smooth reflective surface no closer than approximately 225 feet/75 yards from the originating source. Then the sound must also be of sufficient strength/volume to reach the reflective surface (call it a natural "wall" if you like) with enough residual strength to enable a large percentage of the sound to be reflected. I have no idea what was in the woods that may have caused an echo, but there was probably nothing 225+feet above the shooter's head to reflect any sound, hence no echo effect. There was undoubtedly enough strength/volume in the discharge to have created one condition for an echo. Pax...

(Technically, and contrary to a popular belief by some, a duck's "quack" does echo - but it may not be separately distinguishable from the original quacking sound.)
    Last edited by Gil223; 02-06-2012 at 05:24 PM.
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    Edit: But is it considered "ok" to look down the barrel of an UNLOADED gun?
    Only if you were transported to the range on a "short bus"... or you have physically checked for an empty chamber prior to placing your head in front of the business end. Pax...
    Last edited by Gil223; 02-06-2012 at 05:30 PM.
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

I would agree, the shells look like 22lr with birdshot. Although it does look like a 410 that I have and at close range it could have that pattern and sound like that if there is a gully right behind the tree line.
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!

Let's hope this guy in the video doesn't procreate and spread his genes around.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

Quote Originally Posted by NG19 View Post
    I would agree, the shells look like 22lr with birdshot. Although it does look like a 410 that I have and at close range it could have that pattern and sound like that if there is a gully right behind the tree line.
    I think you may be right about it being a 410, NG! Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Shot 1 - Fired - Ejected shell.
    Shot 2 - Fired - Ejected shell.
    Shot 3 - Failed to fire- Cocked - No shell ejected....
    Shot 4 - Failed to fire

Manipulated video.

Enjoy..
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.