Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intercollegiate Studies Institute Quiz

Herr Heckler Koch

Intercollegiate Studies Institute Quiz

http://www.isi.org/quiz.aspx?q=FE5C3...3-072BB31E2692

Quote Originally Posted by Intercollegiate Studies Institute
    Quiz

Full Civic Literacy Exam (from our 2008 survey)

Are you more knowledgeable than the average citizen? The average score for all 2,508 Americans taking the following test was 49%; college educators scored 55%. Can you do better? Questions were drawn from past ISI surveys, as well as other nationally recognized exams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Intercollegiate Studies Institute
    Results

You answered 31 out of 33 correctly — 93.94 %

If you have any comments or questions about the quiz, please email americancivicliteracy@isi.org.

You can consult the following table to see how citizens and elected officials scored on each question.

Incorrect Answers

Question: International trade and specialization most often lead to which of the following?
    Your Answer: an increase in a nation’s import tariffs
    Correct Answer: an increase in a nation’s productivity

Question: Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, and Aquinas would concur that:
    Your Answer: values originating in one’s conscience cannot be judged by others
    Correct Answer: certain permanent moral and political truths are accessible to human reason

78% correct

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

73% right

Herr Heckler Koch
    I wonder if a correlation can be drawn from the particular wrong answers of a population sample - like OCDO.

You answered 28 out of 33 correctly — 84.85 %

30 of 33 correct. 90.91%

I would imagine that our population is, by choice, better educated about government in general. I was shocked, however, by the 55% score of college educators.

For crying out loud!!! I'm a high school dropout who didn't get his high school diploma until he was twenty-eight and didn't get his Bachelor's degree until he was forty-nine!! And most college educators hold doctorates! Someone please tell me what is badly, badly wrong with this picture.

Wow!!

81.82% I took the GED test after i flunked high school in 1971, i got 73 percentile, NO higher education since.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

27 right. Yahoo, I'm the lowest one to reply yet!

96.97%

Said "life, liberty, or property" instead of pursuit of happiness. Whoops
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

84.85% for this high school only person. I guess those college "educated" people should ask for a refund...

75.76%. I am ashamed.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    Someone please tell me what is badly, badly wrong with this picture.
    Credentialism and authoritarianism. Either we are equal or we are not. Ranks, titles and degrees are only claims of elitism.

well,,

in the fullness of time,,,
    the test is some kind of missleader,, or is it?
    i got clues to two answers from the OP, and got them right, but
    still missed 5 answers.
    even after looking at my misses, i took it again and still missed 3.
    took it again the 3rd time and it seems that I am now even smarter than ever before!!
    I got 100%,,,, YEAH!!!

thing is,,, you got to be really uninformed to get a lousey 55%, like a professor.

even without the answers that i knew from reading the OP, If i had missed them, I would have got 75%, the first time around.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

There were five bogus questions....it does not matter that they are the ones I missed.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

There is a practice citizenship test on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration website that will also humble you. My lovely bride has been studying both English and for her citizenship exam and, at her urging, I took the practice test. As I said, humbling.

dang, I missed one.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

66.6%, dang. Still not bad for a high school drop out that enlisted in the Marines during the VN war.

Quote Originally Posted by gunns View Post
    66.6%, dang. Still not bad for a high school drop out that enlisted in the Marines during the VN war.
    Not bothered to learn more since then?
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

I missed two (~94%), and smaked myself in the forehead for not missing those two.

There is a practice citizenship test on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration website that will also humble you. My lovely bride has been studying both English and for her citizenship exam and, at her urging, I took the practice test. As I said, humbling.
    I got 100% on that one.

OC for ME, what questions do you think are "bogus"? They all seemed reasonable to me.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

87.88%

Low humor alarm....danger Will Robinson....danger Will Robinson....
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Low humor alarm....danger Will Robinson....danger Will Robinson....
    Poe's law. I've seen enough idiocy expressed in earnest here that I have to seek clarification for everything now.

Hmmm...,

missed four. Did I qualify for "Jay Walking"?

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

You answered 30 out of 33 correctly — 90.91 %
    Wah...

30 of 33 correct. 90.91%

I would imagine that our population is, by choice, better educated about government in general. I was shocked, however, by the 55% score of college educators.
    Really?

"Full Civic Literacy Exam (from our 2008 survey)
    Are you more knowledgeable than the average citizen? The average score for all 2,508 Americans taking the following test was 49%; college educators scored 55%. Can you do better? Questions were drawn from past ISI surveys, as well as other nationally recognized exams."

Holy mackeral! 49% is average??? I agree, SFCRetired that a 55% for college educators is abysmal. I suspect History and political science profs are pulling up the average of those who teach the more esoteric classes.
    Last edited by since9; 02-04-2012 at 06:07 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast