• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Intercollegiate Studies Institute Quiz

• Thread starter Herr Heckler Koch
  • Start date
H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://www.isi.org/quiz.aspx?q=FE5C3B47-9675-41E0-9CF3-072BB31E2692

Intercollegiate Studies Institute said:
Quiz

Full Civic Literacy Exam (from our 2008 survey)

Are you more knowledgeable than the average citizen? The average score for all 2,508 Americans taking the following test was 49%; college educators scored 55%. Can you do better? Questions were drawn from past ISI surveys, as well as other nationally recognized exams.

Intercollegiate Studies Institute said:
Results

You answered 31 out of 33 correctly — 93.94 %

If you have any comments or questions about the quiz, please email americancivicliteracy@isi.org.

You can consult the following table to see how citizens and elected officials scored on each question.

Incorrect Answers

Question: International trade and specialization most often lead to which of the following?
Your Answer: an increase in a nation’s import tariffs
Correct Answer: an increase in a nation’s productivity

Question: Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, and Aquinas would concur that:
Your Answer: values originating in one’s conscience cannot be judged by others
Correct Answer: certain permanent moral and political truths are accessible to human reason

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I wonder if a correlation can be drawn from the particular wrong answers of a population sample - like OCDO.

SFCRetired

30 of 33 correct. 90.91%

I would imagine that our population is, by choice, better educated about government in general. I was shocked, however, by the 55% score of college educators.

For crying out loud!!! I'm a high school dropout who didn't get his high school diploma until he was twenty-eight and didn't get his Bachelor's degree until he was forty-nine!! And most college educators hold doctorates! Someone please tell me what is badly, badly wrong with this picture.

Aknazer

84.85% for this high school only person. I guess those college "educated" people should ask for a refund...

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Someone please tell me what is badly, badly wrong with this picture.
Credentialism and authoritarianism. Either we are equal or we are not. Ranks, titles and degrees are only claims of elitism.

1245A Defender

well,,

in the fullness of time,,,
the test is some kind of missleader,, or is it?
i got clues to two answers from the OP, and got them right, but
still missed 5 answers.
even after looking at my misses, i took it again and still missed 3.
took it again the 3rd time and it seems that I am now even smarter than ever before!!
I got 100%,,,, YEAH!!!

thing is,,, you got to be really uninformed to get a lousey 55%, like a professor.

even without the answers that i knew from reading the OP, If i had missed them, I would have got 75%, the first time around.

SFCRetired

There is a practice citizenship test on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration website that will also humble you. My lovely bride has been studying both English and for her citizenship exam and, at her urging, I took the practice test. As I said, humbling.

gunns

66.6%, dang. Still not bad for a high school drop out that enlisted in the Marines during the VN war.

Tawnos

There is a practice citizenship test on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration website that will also humble you. My lovely bride has been studying both English and for her citizenship exam and, at her urging, I took the practice test. As I said, humbling.

I got 100% on that one. :)

OC for ME, what questions do you think are "bogus"? They all seemed reasonable to me.