• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Intercollegiate Studies Institute Quiz

• Thread starter Herr Heckler Koch
  • Start date

Stanley

You answered 30 out of 33 correctly — 90.91 %

Question: What was the main issue in the debates between Abraham Lincoln and Stephen A. Douglas in 1858?
Your Answer: Do Southern states have the constitutional right to leave the union?
Correct Answer: Would slavery be allowed to expand to new territories?

Question: In 1935 and 1936 the Supreme Court declared that important parts of the New Deal were unconstitutional. President Roosevelt responded by threatening to:
Your Answer: override the Supreme Court’s decisions by gaining three-quarter majorities in both houses of Congress
Correct Answer: appoint additional Supreme Court justices who shared his views

Question: What was the source of the following phrase: “Government of the people, by the people, for the people”?
Your Answer: Declaration of Independence
Correct Answer: Gettysburg Address

Had no idea that came from Gettysburg...

Well... Not as bad as I was expecting.

But what do Plato, Aristotle and Thomas Aquinas have to do with Civic Literacy??? Did our founding fathers use their ideas?

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

Hillsdale College Constitution 101 on-line and free.

The polarization of left from right may date from Plato/Aristotle ideals/relativism.

sudden valley gunner

You answered 30 out of 33 correctly — 90.91 %

Well... Not as bad as I was expecting.

But what do Plato, Aristotle and Thomas Aquinas have to do with Civic Literacy??? Did our founding fathers use their ideas?

Thomas Aquinas was a huge influence the philosophy of natural rights and tried to reconcile Aristotle's study of various forms of government with what would be best.

.40S&W

You answered 26 out of 33 correctly — 78.79 %

Had to guess on a couple.

1245A Defender

well,,,,

So we're the only two who paid attention in or to history? ;)

its funny that you would question that...

i got 27,,, but the op gave me the answer to one i would have missed, so i would have got only 26, better than average.
i got that one, that citizen missed, without help.

paying attention to history might not be the end all to learning in school,, im sure it is not...

i learned things i thought would be usefull, more than the things i thought i would not need.

i remember finding "N" in my machinist work when i was about 35 yrs old.
and i was only able to find it cause of my study of navigation.

you are a very smart guy, i know that, but
have you ever learned how to find your position on the earth using a sextant?
did you ever do it, while bobbing in 35 ft waves out in the pacific ocean?

we all learn and, understand, differant things, at differant rates.
i liked the test, but it is not a real measure of our understanding of the values or laws of our country.

you a good guy tawnos, i am glad you are here.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
87.88 %

I'm appalled and embarrassed to say that I scored this low, but I take issue with several of the answers this quiz says I got "wrong"...

Just sayin'...

Interestingly enough, I got precisely the same score as yourself, with precisely the same incorrect answers, made for precisely the same reasons.

I didn't bother to share because I would have required a lengthy post in the same vein as your own. But, since you've done the work...

Ironbar

You answered 26 out of 33 correctly — 78.79 %

In my defense, there were several questions in that test that I had zero schooling on, yet I still managed to exceed the national average.