Thread: New Here - I'm John, AKA "Toggle Switch"

New Here - I'm John, AKA "Toggle Switch"

Hello Everyone!

Just wanted to take a moment and thank you all for keeping such a great forum active.

I have been around guns all my life (living on a farm for 8 years will do that to ya), but until recently, I was unaware that I could privately buy handguns legally under 21. I was also unaware until a few months ago that it was legal to open carry (thanks to your site).

Is anyone going to the gun show this weekend at RIR? It has been a long time since I have been to one and I was wondering if a decent number of private sellers come? I am interested in picking up my first handgun (to own - I have shot plenty over the years) and I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on what to lookout for at shows.

Thanks in advanced and I look forward to joining/supporting the OC community!

-John

Quote Originally Posted by ToggleSwitch View Post
    Hello Everyone!

Just wanted to take a moment and thank you all for keeping such a great forum active.

I have been around guns all my life (living on a farm for 8 years will do that to ya), but until recently, I was unaware that I could privately buy handguns legally under 21. I was also unaware until a few months ago that it was legal to open carry (thanks to your site).

Is anyone going to the gun show this weekend at RIR? It has been a long time since I have been to one and I was wondering if a decent number of private sellers come? I am interested in picking up my first handgun (to own - I have shot plenty over the years) and I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on what to lookout for at shows.

Thanks in advanced and I look forward to joining/supporting the OC community!

-John
    theres also va gun trader,
    I went to a show most of the private sales were S&W revolvers(old) a sig or 1911 or so, but over priced $650 or something. I did see a few good deals, taurus 94/judge $300/$400
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Welcome to OCDO!

Be sure to join VCDL. My experience at the Richmond shows has been that there are very few private sellers. There are good prices at some of the tables from some of the commercial vendors. I expect I will be wandering around this one this weekend.

Thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I will take a look at va gun trader, thanks for the advice.

@The Wolfhound: I am currently looking at a glock 17, 21, or 22. I have shot all 3 on a number of occasions and am very comfortable with them. At the past RIR shows, do you remember seeing any private sellers carrying said models? I know it changes from show to show, just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

Thanks again,
    John

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I will take a look at va gun trader, thanks for the advice.

@The Wolfhound: I am currently looking at a glock 17, 21, or 22. I have shot all 3 on a number of occasions and am very comfortable with them. At the past RIR shows, do you remember seeing any private sellers carrying said models? I know it changes from show to show, just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

Thanks again,
    John
    RIR shows? I go to SGK and C&E, Hampton, Norfolk and VB area.

I seen Glocks at shows before, I think there was one Glock. It was like $600 used or something, came with a few extras though. Worth it if you want a gun before 21.
    Age? Im just about 21

Bring cash, and check the price. Then walk away count, bring it lowered and make new offer. I did that before. Good deal
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 02-02-2012 at 04:29 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?

I was just at Fisherville this past weekend purchased my first AR-15 Anyhow most of the FFL dealers were selling new Glock's for right around $500 +/-
    "Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again"

Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    RIR shows? I go to SGK and C&E, Hampton, Norfolk and VB area....
    RIR is Richmond International Raceway, where they have the Richmond NASCAR races, the venue for the show. The show itself is either Showmasters or C&E, I never pay attention to which is which, one is at RIR and the other is at the Showplace usually every other month. Last month was Showplace, this month RIR

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I was just at Fisherville this past weekend purchased my first AR-15 Anyhow most of the FFL dealers were selling new Glock's for right around $500 +/-
    All very well, but he can't buy a handgun from an FFL yet

Thanks again for the help!

I am 19, turn 20 next month.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    The RIR show isn't as good as the Showplace but there will be some private Glocks there.
    Generally, private sellers at the shows think them using the gun actually increases the value.

Welcome to the site!

Thanks again for the welcome.

Yeah, I will just have to go and find out. What should I expect prices to be at gun shows for new/used glocks. If I was buying from a FFL, I would expect 450-550 new. Any tips for what I should stay away from?

Welcome to OCDO.

Be sure to bring $25 with you so you can join VCDL while at the gun show. Be sure to get your temporary membership card and ask about all the discounts that you can get with membership - just don't believe that one about 25% off at the concession stand.

Also, break out your calendar and check these dates/events:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...t-Feb-4th-2012

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-Feb-14th-2012

Come out and meet us.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Thanks again for the welcome.
    . Any tips for what I should stay away from?
    Plastic Guns!

Unfair!

Not all of us who dislike Glock hate plastic!

Quote Originally Posted by The Wolfhound View Post
    Not all of us who dislike Glock hate plastic!
    I am quite happy with my polymer PT-145. And I can clean it with brake cleaner.
    Mud Blood and Oil with a great dane along for the ride!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

@Nova: I will keep what you said in mind. I am not expecting to find anything at the show, but if I do, I will be happy.

@The Wolfhound: Thank you for the comment. While I love just about all guns, I have shot Glocks the most (9mm, .40 , and .45). I just want something I am already used to and enjoy as my "first". I am sure that as the paychecks come in and more shows come around I will branch into others. I also have my eye on the XD and a few 1911 models.

@skidmark: I will! I have also marked the dates you gave me and posted my interest.

@Everyone Else: Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Just a quick followup ...

Thanks to VA Gun Trader (thanks for everyone that recommended it) I picked up a like new Glock 17. Anyone know of good ranges here in the Richmond area? I know the Colonial Shooting Academy will be opening soon, but until then, I need to find someplace I can put a few rounds down range.

Thanks again for all the help and the warm welcomes.

-John

Just a quick followup ...

Thanks to VA Gun Trader (thanks for everyone that recommended it) I picked up a like new Glock 17. Anyone know of good ranges here in the Richmond area? I know the Colonial Shooting Academy will be opening soon, but until then, I need to find someplace I can put a few rounds down range.

Thanks again for all the help and the warm welcomes.

-John
    You don't have to be 21 to buy magazines, just ammo.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Make sure to get some good training!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Make sure to get some good training!
    +1
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)