• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Doogies in Newington "cover up".....

KIX

OK, was having dinner tonight at Doogies, like I do a few times a month.

Went to pick up my order all was fine. A minute later, the counter person said the manager asks that I "cover up". I proceed to tell him that I will, but that no law was broken and open carry is indeed legal.

The kid was actually quite interested. Asked a bunch of questions on the topic. I can tell the manager at the grill wasn't too happy to hear of his employee's love for his rights. So, long story short. He was rather surprised that it was indeed legal. Proceeded to tell me about an incident there in the past.

It seems that at one time, they had a situation that mirrored Rich's situation in Wallingford. A Corrections Officer or Parole Officer (forgot which) seemed to see a firearm on a customer and called the cops and it seemed be an issue. That was all he told me. Sad that some citizens think calling 911 was the answer to a simple conversation.

Bottom line:

I didn't feel unwelcome, just wanted to cover up. I did, it is their establishment. I did have a great conversation with the employee and he wanted more information. I had some CCDL brochures so I gave him a few in case it give's them some further discussion material.

All in all, I disagree with their stance. But they weren't unpleasant and there was no LEO interaction.

Jonathan

Rich B

Are they posted?

If they are not, they cannot reasonably expect people to 'guess' that they are anti-carry. There is a certain legal liability both parties end up in when a business is discriminating like this.

Just my opinion, but a business that forbids my choice of carry means I no longer feel welcome.

CTSurvivor

KIX, it was nice they didn't make an issue out of OCing and have the cops involved.
However I do agree with Rich to the extent that it does make one feel unwelcome in the future.

I won't be going there anymore when I am in that area whether OC or CC.

xjwalt666

They are losing their best feature anyway, the 2 footer, so it won't be worth going. Either way it sucks that businesses tend to take these actions.

Rich B

I won't be going there anymore when I am in that area whether OC or CC.

Let me be devil's advocate and rabble rouser here... but they didn't tell you that you couldn't OC or to cover up. If they don't post, I encourage you to carry however you feel like carrying if you go there.

You know how I would choose to carry...

This is why their manager needs to have things explained to him. If he doesn't want carry in his place, fine. Put up a sign and ban it. Take the subsequent loss of business and calls and letters that come from it. Otherwise, leave law abiding citizens alone. Telling someone to 'cover up is rude' and is bad business.

KIX

I go there regularly, this is the first time this has happened. So, I figured I'd take the first "encounter" and make it an educational one.

We'll see what happens in the future. I don't think anything is posted. I wasn't asked to leave, so, I'll leave it at that..... for the first time.

Actually, I probably would've been far worse if I was asked to leave.

Jonathan

Rich B

I go there regularly, this is the first time this has happened. So, I figured I'd take the first "encounter" and make it an educational one.

We'll see what happens in the future. I don't think anything is posted. I wasn't asked to leave, so, I'll leave it at that..... for the first time.

Actually, I probably would've been far worse if I was asked to leave.

Jonathan

What stops you from carrying openly or concealed there in the future?

Rich B

Nothing!

I ALWAYS carry.

Jonathan

Right. So it is just a matter of whether you and other people decide to do business with people who deem it acceptable to be crass and rude to a customer.

I think a letter or phone call to the owner is called for so that they can explain whether this was just a rude manager and an isolated incident or if it is company policy to be rude to customers.

KIX

I didn't feel it was rude.

I thought the opportunity to open one persons mind about the legality of open carry was a good option.

At the time, I had to make a choice, I chose to educate the one employee that didn't know, but was genuinely interested.

I still think I made the right choice.

Jonathan

sawah

I still think I made the right choice.

Jonathan

So, what if you had brought your wife in and the manager had insisted she was ugly and you should cover her up. Would you have stayed, paid for your food?

davidmcbeth

Banned
I don't allow people with guns on my property from people I don't know & especially all government workers (cops included!)(I don't even allow government employees on my land). I like to be the only one with guns on my property.

Am I anti-gun? No. Quite the opposite....I don't even think that permits to carry should be required or that the permits can be required.

Why do I keep other's guns off my land? I don't know who these folks are; I trust how I behave .. I don't have that trust with others I don't know.

On public land ... 100% non-permitted carry anyway you want.

CTSurvivor

I don't allow people with guns on my property from people I don't know & especially all government workers (cops included!)(I don't even allow government employees on my land). I like to be the only one with guns on my property.
\

Just curious but how do the cops respond to you telling them to leave their gun it the car?

Ctclassic

They leave. If they don't like the rules on my land they cannot enter.

davidmcMeth----I don't think there is anyone on this forum that would believe for minute that you make the rules regarding LEO's and how they enter onto your property. Please don't insult the intelligence of these fine folks on here.

hobie16

Its a two way street. So you don't carry on other peoples property either? people should only carry on public property ? I could really care less about whether a pistol carrying govt agent or leo or ups driver or private citizen is on my property. As long as they are not there to hurt me. And I like to carry on everywhere I am legally allowed whether its public property or not

smokeyburnout

I think what he's tryin to say is he doesnt allow them when its his choice as a warrant or such would not be his choice thats irrevelent. I also think its absolutely hid choice to allow or disallow anyone on his property for whichever reason he sees fit. He owns it, his rules.
I beleive his point was just that the property owner should be allowed to make the call although public property is fair game as its owned by the public no one person gets tomake the rules. JMHO.