• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to oc

Hurley99

Today was my first day to oc. It's a great feeling to use my rights. I just wanted to know if you guys have any advice for me. Thanks for your time!

09jisaac

Advice is usually specific and we don't have enough info to tailor you some advice. Edit: Age, City/rural, etc.

Do you know all the laws that govern you? Kentucky laws are pretty straight forward, but once you step outside our borders then you may run into some problems.

Welcome to OC.....

Last edited:

Hurley99

I'm 20 in harden county. I've done Alot of research on the whole oc thing. But advice on daily stuff I should know about would be cool to know. Also can I keep my weapon In a shoulder holster??

09jisaac

I figured you were "too young to carry".

Some officers think that they know the law and that it says that you have to be 21 to carry a handgun. They reason that you have to be old enough to buy a gun to carry it. Which is somewhat true. You, probably already know, can buy a handgun at the age of 18 or older, so you can carry it. I would carry the "youth handgun safety act" with me everywhere I go if I was you. This would be the law they're talking about when they say you're too young to carry, and it just says MINOR and a minor is under the age of 18.

Also, It is highly regarded to only carry in a shoulder holster if it holds your gun vertically. It is a bit unnerving to have a gun pointed at you, even if they don't have their finger anywhere near the trigger.

I really don't think you will have much, if any, people run from you just because you're carrying. A lot of people ask me something to the point of "Is that a real gun?", of course it isn't because that is dangerous. But just answer their questions politely if you wish. Try not to handle your gun unless it is necessary, if someone is getting too close to me for comfort (like in a checkout line) I just rest my elbow on my gun and turn so it is facing away from them.

Hurley99

Thanks for the reply. Ive been reading Alot about the laws here in ky just in case I get questioned. I made sure to get a holster that wasn't going to be pointing at anyone. I'm not sure if I read your post right, did you say that I'm against law because I'm only 20?

09jisaac

No. I am saying you are well in the law being at the age of 20. You cannot legally carry a handgun, in most circumstances, until you are 18. But some officers will say that you can't until you are 21. I am sorry if my post wasn't clear.

Hurley99

Ah I understand, I didn't mean to sound like it was unclear I just wanted to make sure. Also I carry shoulder holster cause I carry a full size 1911 that's a high cap so it's a pain to carry on my hip. Also I feel its more safe so I don't have my shirt cover up to much of my gun without me knowing.

09jisaac

Ah I understand, I didn't mean to sound like it was unclear I just wanted to make sure. Also I carry shoulder holster cause I carry a full size 1911 that's a high cap so it's a pain to carry on my hip. Also I feel its more safe so I don't have my shirt cover up to much of my gun without me knowing.

Para double stack? They really aren't too heavy to carry on your hip, you just need to get a duty belt. They say it helps but I don't have any problems carrying on a walmart belt. But I am only carrying a M&P 9 in a fobus paddle. There isn't anything carrying with a shoulder holster, to each their own.

BTW, check out the thread about Para's warranty. Hope that don't happen to anyone else.

Hurley99

Yep is a para. I have heard of other people having issues with them. I personally have had no problems with the 1911 so I really hope I don't cause it's pretty upsetting to have to deal with a company that doesn't stand behind there own product.

neuroblades

Hurley, make sure you know your Rights and the law about carrying. especially if you're using a sholder rig. Some KSP are not too hot on OC with shoulder rigs and being that you're just 20, they could really try to make your day a bad one. Like Gutshot said above, just make sure that you DO NOT allow your weapon to get covered, even accidentally.

09jisaac

Something else I thought of: The shoulder right might bring a lot of attention that you might not want. As long as you're OK with being asked to leave places then this shouldn't be a problem.

Hurley99

Something else I thought of: The shoulder right might bring a lot of attention that you might not want. As long as you're OK with being asked to leave places then this shouldn't be a problem.

I do own a bulldog hip holster. It's ugly but holds the gun really nice. If I wear a heavy belt I have no problems carrying the 1911. So I just might save the shoulder rig for when I get my cc.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
IMO, I would not OC with a shoulder holster. I really don't like looking down the barrel of any gun, and it violates one of the most important gun rules there is. If it's a vertical rig, then that is ok, however everyone you see will notice it.

Johnburns15

Here lately I've been carrying in a tactical leg drop holster. It attaches to the belt and also has 2 straps that wrap around the thigh